Hello From Arizona!

Guest Katherineaz

Guest Katherineaz

Hello everyone. I have posted a couple times here at GT, but thought it was time to introduce myself as we are adopting our FIRST Grey this upcoming Saturday (08/10). We found a beautiful girl through one of the AZ rescues. She actually had been living in a retirement home for the last year, but had issues with the seniors feeding her people food all of the time and she started getting snappy. She lived with five cats, so I am hoping she'll do well with my FIVE dogs! We have four Cavaliers and one medium size mix rescue from Mexico. My little 3-legged Cavalier iHop I worry about, but praying they all get along! We live in the Gilbert area and would love to meet any other Grey owners!! So excited, yet nervous about Saturday. We have done rescue work for Cavaliers for years and have owned a larger dog, but still worry we'll mess something up lol. She does come with 3 beds, leash, collar, muzzle, toys, food. What else do we need?

Here is who plan on renaming to Prada!

pup_zps89a960bf.jpg

And some of her new family:

20130802_183730-1_zpsba6f8923.jpg

:welcome2 Good-looking group you have there! Prada is lovely and it sounds like she will fit in just fine.

Also sounds like you have the basics you'll need right away (assuming she's on flea/tick/heartworm preventative already). One thing you might want to get soon is a squawker on the off-chance she ever gets loose. It's not a training tool but rather something you want to be sure she'll respond to in an emergency situation, so you don't want to desensitize her to it through overuse. Will she have both a regular tag collar (for around the house) plus a martingale for walks? There are lots of GreyTalkers with collar shops on Etsy if you need to get addicted buy one. ;)

Do you intend to crate at all? That's the only other thing that comes to mind, but you can always play that by ear and borrow one if you need to.

Congrats, and do keep us posted!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Katherineaz

:welcome2 Good-looking group you have there! Prada is lovely and it sounds like she will fit in just fine.

Also sounds like you have the basics you'll need right away (assuming she's on flea/tick/heartworm preventative already). One thing you might want to get soon is a squawker on the off-chance she ever gets loose. It's not a training tool but rather something you want to be sure she'll respond to in an emergency situation, so you don't want to desensitize her to it through overuse. Will she have both a regular tag collar (for around the house) plus a martingale for walks? There are lots of GreyTalkers with collar shops on Etsy if you need to get addicted buy one. ;)

Do you intend to crate at all? That's the only other thing that comes to mind, but you can always play that by ear and borrow one if you need to.

Congrats, and do keep us posted!

Thank you for more info! Since she has been in a "home" for over a year she does well without a crate and we have a doggie door (Boxer sized), that is also gated off from our pool. OMG have a Martingale collar already picked out for her! LOL! Yes, I did read about having that for walks and one with tags for everyday. Can you use just a Martingale collar everyday with tags?? I've seen both here?? Need to look into the squawker! Thank you again!!

You're very welcome! :)

The martingale is not advised for tags and everyday wear because it can be a choking hazard. Since it's designed to tighten with tension/pressure, if the dog got it caught on a fence post, cabinet knob, hook, crate, etc., and started to struggle, you can imagine that the situation could get serious very quickly. I use a standard buckle tag collar, but the safest bet is one with a breakaway mechanism (also helpful when your dogs are playing in case one gets a tooth or leg caught in the collar—maybe a remote possibility, but still worth considering). I also leave the martingale attached to the leash so I don't ever have to worry whether I left it on Sweep unsupervised.

(Not trying to make you paranoid, I promise!)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest Katherineaz

You're very welcome! :)

The martingale is not advised for tags and everyday wear because it can be a choking hazard. Since it's designed to tighten with tension/pressure, if the dog got it caught on a fence post, cabinet knob, hook, crate, etc., and started to struggle, you can imagine that the situation could get serious very quickly. I use a standard buckle tag collar, but the safest bet is one with a breakaway mechanism (also helpful when your dogs are playing in case one gets a tooth or leg caught in the collar—maybe a remote possibility, but still worth considering). I also leave the martingale attached to the leash so I don't ever have to worry whether I left it on Sweep unsupervised.

(Not trying to make you paranoid, I promise!)

No, you're not at all. Thank you for the information I do appreciate it.

Congratulations!

I hope everything goes perfectly. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Personally, I leave Dane in his martingale, because he seems to freak out if I take it off, and he wants it back on instantly, and then he views it as a game. And collars are NOT toys. He's rarely unsupervised anyway, as my ESA.

I'm down in Maricopa myself, but I go up to Scottsdale and Phoenix quite a bit, and Chandler is a short drive from where I am.

She's a beautiful brindle baby!

Guest Katherineaz

I can't stand it - tomorrow is our big day and it's taking FOREVER to get here!! We are really looking forward to meeting our new family member!! Fingers crossed that it all goes well tomorrow!! :gh_run2

That is so exciting! Enjoy your day tomorrow and be sure to post pictures ASAP when you get her home! :)

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Yesterday should have been the big day -- hope all is going well for Prada and the Cavaliers (sounds like a bad 60's band).

I used to work at a hospice where we always tried to have a dog in our hospice residence. We learned after several dogs that the best situation seemed to be where the dog lived with a staff member and went home with one person/family after an 8-hour shift at the residence. Being around all the stress of even a quiet, 12-bed residential program 24/7 just gradually seemed to be too much for many dogs.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter