Any Tricks To Get Them To P/p On Their Last Trip Out At Night?

Guest DMBFiredancer

Guest javakaty

We've had Nica for a month (today) and haven't had any accidents so far. She gets free reign of the house while we're gone (up to 9 hours) and is completely fine. Some mornings she won't pee even if I take her out for 15+ minutes and then my husband takes her out for another 15 minutes....

She hasn't figured out how to tell us she needs to go outside (we haven't heard her bark or roo yet, and only random whines/squeaks when she yawns).

Last night we went out an hour or 2 before bedtime and she peed...when we decided it was time to go to bed we figured we wouldn't take her out since she had just gone (and sometimes doesnt go on the last pee break if we go out a few hours earlier).

Last night she left her bed in the bedroom in the middle of the night and ended up in the living room...I thought it was odd, but she likes the living room better because that is where we spend most of our time. Woke up this morning and there was a huge pee spot on a blanket that had fallen off the bed.

Any advice? We've been so lucky that we haven't had any accidents until now, but we're disappointed in her for not telling us she needed to go out in the middle of the night (although we've never had to take her out in the middle of the night and she's been fine), and disappointed in ourselves for setting her up for failure by not taking her out for the last pee break of the night.

We're hoping this isn't the beginning of new habits....

I know you are joking, but you can always use a different word for it. That might be appealing if you are trying to get her to go out in public and don't want to be walking around a park asking for poop.

I use "sheißenzeit" for the poop elimination command :rofl

I actually plan to use German for a few other commands, so that they don't get accidentally misused or weakened due to overuse/lack of follow-through/whatever.

Guest Giselle

Hilarious imagery aside...If you really want to put it on command, you have to refrain from saying "Go Potty/Pee/Poo" just until you see the dog squatting or assuming a pee/poo position. Only say it once and only say it when you KNOW the dog will pee/poo within a millisecond. Otherwise, if you stand outside and say "Go potty, go potty, go potty, go potty" or "Go poo, go poo, go poo", all your dog will hear is "BLAH BLAH BLAH". And, in the off chance that he happens to pee/poo after you say this phrase, well, you might think you trained him. But, really, all he heard was "BLAHBLAHBLAH" ;) He'll still love the cookies for his reward, but he won't associate the command "Go potty" with actually going to the bathroom.

I would recommend doing the basic potty training protocol - supervising or confining the dog 24/7 with ample on-leash potty breaks throughout the day. Basically, set them up to succeed with the frequent potty breaks and avoid accidents by confining (crating or ex-pens are good tools)/supervising at all times. Also, if he has a favorite place to pee/poo, by all means, take him there! It's the least we can do :)

Hilarious imagery aside...If you really want to put it on command, you have to refrain from saying "Go Potty/Pee/Poo" just until you see the dog squatting or assuming a pee/poo position. Only say it once and only say it when you KNOW the dog will pee/poo within a millisecond. Otherwise, if you stand outside and say "Go potty, go potty, go potty, go potty" or "Go poo, go poo, go poo", all your dog will hear is "BLAH BLAH BLAH". And, in the off chance that he happens to pee/poo after you say this phrase, well, you might think you trained him. But, really, all he heard was "BLAHBLAHBLAH" ;) He'll still love the cookies for his reward, but he won't associate the command "Go potty" with actually going to the bathroom.

Dane fakes me out pretty good a LOT. He is so particular about where he poops and pees! He will get in position to squat and then at the last possible moment he decides he needs to go three feet in the other direction.

Guest OPointyDog

So when the barking starts, I take her out the one time to do whichever business she did not do at last out (assuming that is why she is barking?) just to play safe....but then the barking starts up again.

We had a nighttime barker here, too. Sometimes for HOURS. So I feel your pain. We tried everything: ignoring it, DAP diffuser, calming treats, special dog-calming music, thundershirt, etc. Nothing worked until we got a gentle spray no-bark collar. It sprayed him twice, and now he doesn't bark at night anymore. He seems to have figured out when it's on and when it's not, and so I let him bark at other times. They are somewhat controversial, but in our case, it worked!

I took him to a trainer, who said it wasn't anxiety or wanting to go out - it was attention seeking behavior, which I believe. So now we make sure he gets LOTS of exercise in the evenings. We also make sure he potties on last out. We have a fenced yard, but I take him out on a leash so I can make sure he goes and we just keep walking around in circles until he does.