Anything Else To Drink Other Than Water?

Guest TheLast13

Guest TheLast13

I know he doesn't care, but I wish I could offer our Grey something more than water sometimes.

Is there anything else safe or fun for a Grey to drink? Kool-aid or something?

Thanks!

I have made a ice treat with some broth, bits of chicken and organs and froze it for the pups to eat when it's really hot.

btw, I'm sure I'm the minority but it's not very often that I drink anything but just water. It's one of the few fluids I like and it's healthy so I prefer to stick to water for my pups too.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I also wouldn't worry...most animals just drink water. If you want a treat though, the easiest and healthiest thing is to boil up some chicken in a big pot of water (no salt) to make a simple broth. Shred the leftover chicken as a meal topper if you like :) I would stay clear of any drinks with sugar, colouring, etc. in it. Most dogs probably wouldn't like it anyways.

Edited by RedHead

I got a sample of this http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/treats/ice-pups and Lila loved it! It's pretty much chicken broth and you can serve it warm or freeze it. I was going to freeze it but I wanted to see if she liked it first so I gave her some lukewarm and she licked it all up and looked for more. I think it could be a nice treat or a way for getting a sick dog to take some liquids.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Just water is fine. We humans are unusual in wanting different stuff to drink!

However, I will often offer plain, unsalted broth to mine if I have some spare, and they do get a regular drink of milk. This is controversial, but we have never had any upset stomachs or any other problem from it, and many kennels in England give a breakfast of cereal and milk.

If you decide to try milk, remember the rule to introduce one new food at a time and don't give your dog anything else new for a week while you watch to see how their system is coping with it. If it results in diarrhoea, vomiting or itchiness (or any other odd, new symptom) discontinue it and stick with water and broth.

I'm not a big fan of giving sweetened drinks (naturally sweet or artificially sweet) or carbonated stuff or alcohol or caffeine to dogs. They don't need it and it can potentially harm them. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

ruby is a terrible water drinker so I will occasionally give her water with a few drops of chicken or beef broth in it to perk the taste up for her. Seems to make her drink more. I buy the low sodium kind or use the stuff I have made after boiling a chicken or roast. She has a slight issue with her kidneys so I worry that she doesn't drink enough fluids.

Karen

I've also read of people giving their dogs Pedialyte on these forums. Especially if their hound is sick/recovering and needs the extra electrolytes. Some dogs like ice cubes as treats in and of themselves! Our previous dog loved them, and would sit for them just as well as any other treat XD

EDIT: Oh and I've also heard that many greys are notorious booze-hounds :rofl

Edited by Rhea

Isn't any value in other beverages for dogs. I'd stick with just plain water.

Exception would be if dog is ill and *needs* to be encouraged to drink more. And everybody enjoys an ice-pop in hot weather :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Scarter55

Lady snuck a sip of a dessert wine when we turned our backs for a second. She's never touched the stuff since. :shakefinger

ruby is a terrible water drinker so I will occasionally give her water with a few drops of chicken or beef broth in it to perk the taste up for her. Seems to make her drink more. I buy the low sodium kind or use the stuff I have made after boiling a chicken or roast. She has a slight issue with her kidneys so I worry that she doesn't drink enough fluids.

One of our cats had a bladder issue (crystals) that came from not drinking enough. He would only drink out of a running faucet. While super cute, resulted in him not getting enough water. So we ended up just adding a bunch of water to his food every meal. He would drink all of that no problem. Hasn't have a problem since, and even lost some weight to boot.

Guest TheLast13

Thanks everyone, The broth sounds like a good idea. Coconut water is an interesting idea too.

Ill have to try both this week and see what he thinks. hes not a picky eater, so i'm guessing he will love both.

Thanks again!

Please remember your dog is not a child. He doesn't eat to satisfy boredom, cravings, or because someone was mean to him at school. He may well not even know anything to drink other than water exists.

Love him AS IF he's your kid, but don't feel you need to feed him like he is.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Please remember your dog is not a child. He doesn't eat to satisfy boredom, cravings, or because someone was mean to him at school. He may well not even know anything to drink other than water exists.

yeah, OK whatever.....

Daisy needed to increase her water intake because her urine was so concentrated. The only thing that worked was the Coconut water added into her drinking water.

I agree with this. Of course things can change if there's a legit medical issue. If the pup needs more water, I would just start by adding water to its food and see if that works and go from there.