1Am Barking. Not A Good Play Time :(

Guest DMBFiredancer

Guest DMBFiredancer

I'd like to nip this in the bud now before work starts up for me again (plus, my husband isn't too thrilled about this new behavior!)

Our normal routine is last p/p right before we go to bed (usually 10-11pm.) She is good about doing both most of the time, and if she hasn't pooped, it is only because she just did it at 7pm. In the beginning, Grace would go right to sleep when we were sleeping.

One night last week, she barked once at about 1am and I ignored it thinking she wanted to play.

I realized how wrong I was when I found that she peed on the kitchen rug in the middle of the night.

Fair enough.

Lesson learned.

A few times this week she has done the around 1am bark again....These times I took her out right away....p/p, she always did something....ok, I can deal with a bark if she needs to go.

But now she seems to be pushing that to "hmmm.....if mom will let me go out to p/p if I bark, she will let me out to play, too!"

Last night we were out there FOUR times....the first time she peed. Fine

Second time, pooped. Fine, again.

Third time....sniffed and played with her ball.

Fourth time....sniffed and stared into the sky.

After that she settled down and went to bed, but this whole "game" lasted about 1.5 hours. Not good.

The other night my husband took her for a run before bed and that tired her out...no getting up.

I can't run like he can, so I took her for a 1.5 mile walk last night right before bed, thinking it would tire her out. I guess it didn't.

(Most of the time my husband is working nights, so I can't ask him to run every night sadly)

I probably should be ignoring this barking, but it is so hard considering we live in an area where the houses are VERY close to each other.

Plus, I do actually want her to bark if she legitimately has to p/p.

Thoughts?

See how quickly they can start training you? Gracie is smart! Gotta make sure she empties out on the last P&P of the night (try to do it as late as possible). Then unfortunately, you just have to ignore the barking. If she contines having accidents, you may need to implement some type of crating/confining method.

A few things -

* Have you checked that she doesn't have a UTI or kidney issues of any sort? Probably not but just to ask the question

* How long have you had her? Bella would do this the first couple of weeks that we had her but has long since stopped (going on 3+ years)

* If it were me, I would make sure those middle of the night outings are short and sweet and on a leash. No freedom to roam the yard and play with toys.

* Not sure if you do have a crate and if Grace is ok with it, but my routine to stop this would be to take Bella out for 5 minutes (max) and then she goes back into her crate, regardless of output. If Grace starts realizing that waking the parents up at random hours for fun isn't so much fun, that should help. Not suggesting using the crate as punishment at all, but to curb the peeing indoors part.

Good luck!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Good points above. Also, take her out on a leash. That way she can't decide that she's going to go and play.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would make sure she gets more exercise throughout the day. Have your husband run with her every day at whatever time he can. Walk as much as time allows. An intense fetch session in the evening is good. A tired dog makes for a better nights sleep for all.

Guest DMBFiredancer

A few things -

* Have you checked that she doesn't have a UTI or kidney issues of any sort? Probably not but just to ask the question

Good idea. She doesn't seem to be peeing any more during the daytime, so I am wondering if this is just her new night routine to get out.

* How long have you had her? Bella would do this the first couple of weeks that we had her but has long since stopped (going on 3+ years)

Sunday will be three weeks. Good to hear that Bella has stopped.....that's inspiring!

* If it were me, I would make sure those middle of the night outings are short and sweet and on a leash. No freedom to roam the yard and play with toys.

I'll try that, thanks! Didn't even think about that since she is usually afraid of the leash.

* Not sure if you do have a crate and if Grace is ok with it, but my routine to stop this would be to take Bella out for 5 minutes (max) and then she goes back into her crate, regardless of output. If Grace starts realizing that waking the parents up at random hours for fun isn't so much fun, that should help. Not suggesting using the crate as punishment at all, but to curb the peeing indoors part.

I don't own a crate and never considered it since she only peed inside ONCE and I take full responsibility for it for not bringing her out when she barked that very first time. I guess I need to see if the inside peeing ever happens again and then take it from there....thank you!

Good luck!

See how quickly they can start training you? Gracie is smart! Gotta make sure she empties out on the last P&P of the night (try to do it as late as possible). Then unfortunately, you just have to ignore the barking. If she contines having accidents, you may need to implement some type of crating/confining method.

The ignoring will definitely have to begin.

My husband is going to France for a week for work starting tomorrow, and I still have a week left of break. so iit will be an ideal time for me to IGNORE. I will have to talk to our neighbors, but hopefully they understand that it won't be like this forever. Plus, I guess it is good that this house has double pane windows!