Early Kidney Failure?

Missy turned 14 today. A few weeks ago she had terrible liquid, bloody diarrhea . I posted on it. All blood work was perfect. She is doing good in that resect. she has had LS and takes tramadol, gabapetin, fresh factors, joint health , potassium citrate granules with cranberry ( had ursine crystals in past). Was on meloxicam..no more.

Since coming home after diarrhea episode she has been drinking a lot and peeing a lot. ..so much she started using my Ig's wee wee pad when I am not home.

I brought her urine in today. No infection, very dilute. I think my vet said protein was I. Her urine. She sent it out for urine protein creating ratio to look for early kidney failure. Will let me know Saturday.

Missy has been eating natural balance bison and sweet potato or duck and potato for years...is the protein too high for a senior dog? What other changes cabi make to help her?

Thanks

Not sure about the food but my guess would be it has much higher protein than say, Royal Canin's renal Rx food.

Was the urine sample a fresh morning catch or from later in the day? If it was from later in the day that might explain why it is more dilute. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Was there glucose/sugar in the urine? Excessive peeing is also a sign of diabetes (not sure how common it is in greyhounds/ex-racers). My ancient cat (turning 19 in October) who now lives with my bff, was diabetic (technically still is, I suppose, though she no longer needs insulin injections) and that was one of the first signs, she was practically flooding corners of the litterboxes, and peeing on the floor in my parent's bathroom. She was also been diagnosed with renal failure, at least a year or two ago which is managed through diet, so she's still around and doing just fine.

Guest ss556

Hi Donna, sorry to hear about Missy. Alan had kidney disease, very dilute urine & high blood pressure. I'm not dealing with kidney disease in my son's shih Tzu. The vet put him on Royal Canin mp. If I give him food, it's dark meat chicken & white rice - the same I did with Alan. The protein matters & more importantly, the phosphorus. I'm keeping Princeton on the Royal Canin.

The protein is concerning but may turn out to be something else (for example, infection -- hard to spot in dilute urine). If your vet approves, might try giving Pepcid (10mg famotidine) twice a day and see if that reduces the drinking. In the aftermath of the meloxicam and her earlier episode, she may have a kinda sour tummy, and that can cause a dog to overdrink.

Sending lots of hugs for you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Vet called. Creating ratio was normal...no need for meds. I think missy was drinking more normal yesterday ..didn't have to fill her bowl up as often . We were out for a while, no accidents. My (grey savvy) vet is unsure why she is drinking/peeing more. She said she did some research and red that gabepentin may increase thirst, but did not recommend decreasing it as it clearly helps her (LS). Has anyone heard/experienced this?

We are also considering relationship to diarrhea bout..about 3weeks ago. Any thoughts. I am just glad we are not dueling with kidney failure!

Guest grey_dreams

How long was she on meloxicam? You said that you stopped giving it, is that correct? A lot of dogs have adverse reactions to NSAIDs - including bloody diarrhea and excessive drinking/peeing. Hopefully, she will continue to improve.

This is just a thought because of our recent experiences. When Fiona was drinking a great deal of water in April and having other issues such as incontinence, we had a blood pressure test taken. She had extremely high blood pressure and was placed on medication to treat it. Within a few days of adding the meds, her excessive drinking went down considerably. The incontinence medications had not been working but with her blood pressure under control we have not had any other leaking problems. I have read that higher protein readings in the urine can be related to high blood pressure.

It may not be something Missy is experiencing but its an easy thing to have your vet check out.

Good luck with Missy!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thank you. I will speak with my vet about the blood pressure. She is still drinking and peeing a lot. Otherwise everything else ok..there has to be a reason for the change. I noticed some straining to urinate after she voided a lot . Maybe there is an infection . She has been off meloxicam since July 10.