Best Boot For An Arthritic Foot...

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

Hi there,

The Princess Tiel has arthritis in the middle two toes of her left front foot. She doesn't like to walk very far on a hard surface but we discovered this evening that she will go and go when she is on a soft surface like grass. I'm thinking about getting some padded boots for her front feet but don't have any idea what to look for, what size to get, or where to get them. I figured that the folks of GT would have plenty of thoughts about this and look forward to hearing them.

Guest greytkidsmom

Are you sure she doesn't have a corn???

Yes, the knuckle is swollen twice the size of the others (and has been for the last year or so) and x-rays show practically zero joint space at that toe and very little joint space in the toe next to it. When we take her on walks she just falls behind and eventually stops. Not much limping unless she "pounces" on something in the house. I have had to stop her therapy dog visits because by the time we get to the children's ward she has had enough walking. Last visit I had to carry her to back the car. Last night however we went to a photo walk on an old farm and she went for 1.5 to 2 hours walking around on grass. Made me think that a cushioned boot might help her when she walks on hard surfaces.

Brady has corns and wears Therapaw boots. He weighs 63 pounds and has smaller feet, so he wears the size T/D. Lots of places sell them and while I have forgotten the, a group in PA sells them at a good price and the proceeds go towards their hounds.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest snakes

My pups never adjusted to therapaw for front feet as they are heavier. I ended up getting simple winter booties and put some cut to size padding in the bottom (i have used cut up insoles from human shoes). Ive used the same boots for arthritic and corn foot problems.

ive seen some pups using Ultrapaws boots with good results.

I love https://www.neopaws.com/catalog/dogshoesdogbootsandlegwraps-c-39.html Neopaws. We use the summer shoes & she also carries a gel insole you can put inside them. I just noticed she has something called EZ Paws that looks easy to put on. Ronnie is great to work with & I'm sure she could suggest something suitable for your princess. :beatheart

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest elliemae421

Our website sells the Thera paw boots! It is: www.goinghomegreyhounds.org if you need any help let me know! Hope this helps out!

:ghplaybow

Edited by elliemae421

Guest greytkidsmom

Thanks for all of the suggestions - will have to do some serious interweb shopping this Saturday.

edited because something bizzarre happened that made the post appear twice.

Edited by greytkidsmom