Murphy, 23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013

PatricksMom

Oh Murphy,

When we went to meet you at your foster mom’s, you were so skinny. It turned out you had been living outside, uncared for, and unloved—nearly nine and no one other than your foster family had ever wanted you. I made it halfway around the yard before I told DH that you were my dog. We talked over your food, medical issues, signed the paperwork, put you in the car and brought you home. Boy were you home. I’ve never seen a dog that seemed so grateful, just to be inside and have a family and I was grateful to have a cuddle buddy who helped fill the gaping hole Patrick left in my heart.

You discovered beds (although you preferred the carpet) and toys to destroy and tennis balls to catch and the farmer’s market M&G. When we went outside, you glued yourself to my side—I never risked it but I’m sure I could have walked you without your leash. You loved everyone you met—the ladies at the office, the people at the M&G, kids, old people, everyone. You even put up with your crazy brother Henry.

The whole time we had you, you were sick. First finishing your hookworm treatment, then a UTI, and then finally your lymph nodes swelled. The vet thought it was an eye infection, and at first the antibiotics helped. But then the swelling came back, and you didn’t feel well. We took you to the oncologist, we couldn’t believe it when she said it was Lymphoma, that we probably only had a few months left. You were terrified of vets’ offices, you didn’t like the car and she was 1.5 hours away, so we made the decision to put you on steroids, take you home, and spoil you like mad. I promised you no more vets’ offices, and we kept that promise.

It turns out, we had less than a month left. But it was a good month. A friend lent us his yard as much as we wanted, so we got to watch you run and catch tennis balls and lay down in the grass. We discovered the ice cream place made doggie sundays, we went to the farmers market and bought you toys that you destroyed in 5 minutes. And fed you chicken and chicken livers and endless treats. Mostly we loved you and loved you and loved you—a lifetime’s worth in a few months.

Then the prednisone stopped working and the stronger steroid didn’t do anything. A few days later, you were in pain getting up and down and slowing down. We took you out for a cheeseburger for breakfast and to a pool party for lunch—you had a great time getting love from everyone and a little barbecue. In between we cuddled you until the vet came—not scary, not in a vet coat. Your passing wasn’t as peaceful as we would have liked, but you're not in pain anymore.

All I can hope is that you forgot the past and remember being with us. Sweetie, we loved you so much, I only wish you had more time.

Here’s my beautiful boy:

9396769570_85691acdfe.jpg

9394002765_e3a0e4622b.jpg

9394003651_ee40b81d4f.jpg

9394004187_8016ded657.jpg

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear you were very lucky to have each other, though I am sorry it was only for a short time. My sincere condolences.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry. I am glad you were able to do things on his bucket list. Run free sweetie.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Mostly we loved you and loved you and loved you—a lifetime’s worth in a few months.

No truer statement. You gave him your all.

I'm so sorry he couldn't stay longer with you.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry. Murphy was incredibly fortunate to be able spend his last few months with you and learn what retirement really is. I wish he could have enjoyed that experience for much much longer.

Godspeed Murphy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PiagetsMom

Love conquers all, and he definitely knew all the love you gave him. Murphy was a beautiful boy.....I'm so very sorry :grouphug

Run free Murhpy, and take a moment to let your forever momma know that you are OK and that you will always hold the special love you shared in your heart.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest goofydog

Godspeed sweet Murphy. You had the best years of your life in just a few short months.

Edited by goofydog

You gave that handsome man the best time of his life. He knows :nod I'm so sorry you didn't get to love and spoil him longer. :grouphug

Godspeed Murphy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so happy for Murphy's gain. You gave him something that his heart longed for... love.

Run free, Sweet Murphy!!

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

A lifetime of love in a short time. How lucky he was to have had you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

He was and always will be your boy. I am truly very sorry you both did not get more time together.

Run free Murphy, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So very sorry for the loss of your ever-so-handsome Murphy.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So sad. No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds