Sam's Club Exceed Brand

Guest Sourbuzz

Guest Sourbuzz

So we have had our grey for about 1.5 months now. He's an 80 lb male. We have been feeding him Sam's Club "Exceed" (Chicken) and his poop has rarely been what we've wanted. It's usually loose, seldom runny, and has an orangish color. The foster parent uses this brand with her dogs and says its fine, however I think we need to switch. I have also been using a lot of treats (very small portions) for training and walking and I think this is exacerbating the issue. He has also been going about 3-4 times daily. We let hiim out before work, usually at lunch (sometimes he'll poop then and sometimes not) and then after dinner, and then once before bed (usually only goes pee). I know that every dog is different and some poop more than others, but we would really like to see if there are any alternatives. He doesn't seem to mind and seems happy as ever but every person worries I guess right?

Are there any brands, that can be found in Southwestern PA, that anyone recommends? Our goal is to have his poop a little harder and, if it needs changed, less frequent.

I know a lot people go to Costco and Sam's Club, but as of now, we don't have memberships and were wondering if any pet stores carry something?

Also, recommendations for how to ween him into it? I know that you should start with 25% of the new food/75% of the old food, then gradually work up until at 100%. Is that right?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Guest bozicj

I can't answer all your questions but I thought I'd chime in on some.

Regarding the food, I've been feeding my girls (3 dogs total over the past 10-15 years) the same brand but the lamb and rice formula. I have not had this issue with them except when we moved into our new house. I think you might want to try to give it a little more time since 1.5 months isn't that long for a greyhound to settle into a new routine (it seems long to us but I've fostered A LOT and seen a lot of dogs come and go and 6 weeks is not enough time for them to truly adapt to a new environment). Basically what I'm saying is he may still be adapting to retirement or to being in your home.

I'd say give it another month or so.

As far as transitioning food, yes, you want to switch it over very very gradually since greyhounds have notoriously sensitive GI systems.

There are lots and lots of food posts. What many of us will recommend is Iams in the Green Bag (proactive Iams). It has done the trick of firming up poos for many, many dogs. Is it the best food? ::shrug:: What's the best? Some will swear only raw will do. Some want something that is grain free. For me, and others, it's what my dog tolerates well without soft serve poo. Iams in the Green Bag is it. Annie usually goes poo 3 times a day. Every few days she goes only 2 times.

Guest AngelPup

Your post sounds very similar to mine when we first adopted Brady. Save yourself a TON of aggravation and money--try Iams green bag.

Guest Doggone

I took the advice of many on this forum and put Autumn on IAMS green bag, mainly because of poop consistency. She had been fed a "high" value food that didn't seem to agree with her (not just in poops, but the GAS!!!....... OMG!) The IAMS worked much better (no gas masks needed any more, plus easy "pickups" ;) ). The one minus is that she's not too drawn by the flavor, so lately I've been mixing in a bit of lamb-based kibble, which seems to appeal to her. :)

She's not very food-motivated, though, and won't eat vegetables or fruit (she doesn't even like peanut butter! :D ), so adding beet pulp to firm things up won't work :(, although many people have suggested it.

Guest Sourbuzz

Thanks for all of the comments and advice! (I love how quickly people respond on this!) We will give him some more time to transition. If it seems he hasn't adjusted, we will swtich to the Iams.

My dogs have eaten the Exceed for years off and no with no problems. Kirkland's food is made by Diamond so you should be able to get a very similar product at other locations. Tractor Supply has the Diamond products. My dogs are currently eating the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice Formula which is probably the exact same product as the Kirkland brand. I might try switching to the lamb version of what you are feeding. Sometimes it's the protein that makes the difference.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreyFan09

When we first got our boy we were feeding him Exceed chicken and rice, and we had the exact same issues you are having with his poop. I then switched him to the Exceed lamb and rice formula, and it made a world of difference for the better! He has been on lamb and rice for several years with good poops. Occasionally I change over to Purina Pro Plan lamb and rice just to give him a change, and he does good on that as well. Overall I am very pleased with the Exceed food. He is very healthy and has a nice shiny coat and seems to like to food (plus it's not too expensive).

For whatever reason, some dogs don't do well on chicken-based foods.

I took the advice of many on this forum and put Autumn on IAMS green bag, mainly because of poop consistency. She had been fed a "high" value food that didn't seem to agree with her (not just in poops, but the GAS!!!....... OMG!) The IAMS worked much better (no gas masks needed any more, plus easy "pickups" ;) ). The one minus is that she's not too drawn by the flavor, so lately I've been mixing in a bit of lamb-based kibble, which seems to appeal to her. :)

She's not very food-motivated, though, and won't eat vegetables or fruit (she doesn't even like peanut butter! :D ), so adding beet pulp to firm things up won't work :(, although many people have suggested it.

One of my girls will occasionally become picky. I keep a couple cans of Iams on hand and mix a teaspoon full with a bit of water and put it on her kibble when I serve it. Eats it right up.

I suggest the fecal analysis too. Chase had runny poo for a while when we got him even if he had been dewormed twice.

After running the fecal we found out he was full of tapeworms. These weren't treated by his dewormer. Once we got rid of this, his feces firmed right up! :)

Good luck! Runny poo isn't fun for anyone.