Bad Potty Manners- New Behavior

We have had Gamo for four months and Kevin over 2.5 years. Kevin used to poop and pee away from the house. He wasn't always in the furthest corner of the yard but it seems great compared to what is going on now.

Since we got Gamo they have adopted each other's bad habits. Maybe a month and a half ago they started synchronized peeing when they went out. They have been getting closer and closer to the house. Now they are pooping within 5 feet of the house. And now they are peeing right outside the door. I try to lead them away but once they step foot outside they do their by squats and let go before i can even get through the doorway.

Last night someone peed in the livingroom. It's the first accident ever for both of them. Clearly whoever did it needed to go. But no one seemed to want to go out after dinner. They frequently refuse to go out and hold it for 12 hours. So I didn't think much of it. Needless to say they will be forced to go out after dinner from now on.

I have to wonder if their bad potty habits are now making their way into the house. I am not sure the incident is related. But I can't seem to get them both away rom the house. You try to lead or chase them away from the house and one or both will surely just pee right where they are. I am not sure how to stop this habit and make them potty away from the house. Suggestions are appreciated.

finalsiggy.jpg

Refresh my memory - didn't one or both of your boys get attacked recently by another dog?

If this is the case, you might see some regression (for lack of a better word) in their behavior and with this, they may have decided that they do not want to roam far from the house. Since you have two dogs, they are likely reinforcing the behavior of each other.

Before any correction, take a sterile urine from each one in for a urinalysis, one (or both) could have an infection. If infection is ruled out, then take each one separately on a leash out to a farther corner of the yard until he does it and then take the other one out on a leash. I would also water the areas close to the house where they have been peeing so no urine scent remains. A few days of taking them out on a leash should re-adjust their thinking.

How often are they going out when this happens? If it's a loooooooooooooooong time between outs, it might help to encourage them to go out more often -- might be a case of hanging on by a thread and just letting loose as soon as they're outside. Might also help to always go out with them, take a toy and a few treats, have a little fun before coming back indoors.

If someone is home here, mine usually go out every 4-6 hours.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Refresh my memory - didn't one or both of your boys get attacked recently by another dog?

If this is the case, you might see some regression (for lack of a better word) in their behavior and with this, they may have decided that they do not want to roam far from the house. Since you have two dogs, they are likely reinforcing the behavior of each other.

Before any correction, take a sterile urine from each one in for a urinalysis, one (or both) could have an infection. If infection is ruled out, then take each one separately on a leash out to a farther corner of the yard until he does it and then take the other one out on a leash. I would also water the areas close to the house where they have been peeing so no urine scent remains. A few days of taking them out on a leash should re-adjust their thinking.

I will take sample to the vet if this happens again, but I think this one is on us. Usually they get a big walk after dinner but yesterday they had spent the day running around a lot outside and exploring and DH had to work early so we got distracted and forgot to make the after dinner offer and there was no walk last night. They seemed totally disinterested since they ran their butts around all day. And yes, they did get attacked a week and a half ago. Interesting point. But, they seem fine going by that house. This is something they have been doing a while. Getting closer and closer to the house. Gamo started it. Kevin followed suit. I would go out with them and try to get them to go to the other areas of the yard and they would wander back and pee. Or just pee as i was leading them. We will try leashing and watering the grass even more. Leashing isn't going to be as easy for first out.

How often are they going out when this happens? If it's a loooooooooooooooong time between outs, it might help to encourage them to go out more often -- might be a case of hanging on by a thread and just letting loose as soon as they're outside. Might also help to always go out with them, take a toy and a few treats, have a little fun before coming back indoors.

If someone is home here, mine usually go out every 4-6 hours.

They are going out as often as they are willing. i work from home and I offer them out every few hours. They usually simply refuse to move until DH comes home. Usually that's the second out of the day. SOMETIMES I can get them out IF I can get them up for a treat. They go out at least 5 times a day. They have about 5 fenced acres with a pond and fields and woods two days a week. They spend a lot of time running and exploring on those days.The other days they get walks and outs. They get a big walk after our dinner (and about an hour after theirs) nearly every night. They won't play in the other yard. They won't chase toys. This yard is boring. They just want to potty and then go back in. They will actually walk out into the yard but then circle around to pee nearer to the house! And yes, they are doing it at the other house too.

What's with just being "let out"?

How about a nice walk. A good long one first thing in the morning, one before dinner, and one before bed and I guarantee that you will never have a problem again.

BTW your dogs (in your signature) are spectacular.

They go out after their dinner usually before they get a walk. They eat and then we eat. Then they get to go out for a long, brisk walk. But the peeing in the house is more of a red herring. We have never had a problem before. It was our fault. But I wondered if this peeing near the house is leading to peeing in the house. It was just thinking out loud. The main concern is getting them to stop peeing by the house. They get walks but they can't be walked every time they need to potty. So how do we get them to stop peeing by the house. That was the real question.

And thank you. They are spectacular. :flip I will remind you of that when they are naughty and they can come live with you and Hester!

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

I remembered this Thread from a few Days back . This Morning my Morty wanted out. Normaly he charges down tthe Deck Steps to the Fence and checks out the Situation with the Cats ( he hates 8 of them ) next Door. When that is done he walks around the Yard and does his Business. Not even a Minute later , he barks and wants in . There is a freshly new Wetspot on Outdoor Carpet and it has NOT rained. That little Bugger peed right on the Deck . Now that is a first in 7,5 Years. I told him " shape up or ship out ".

Just a claryfication , he goes twice sometimes three times to the Park for long walks.

I remembered this Thread from a few Days back . This Morning my Morty wanted out. Normaly he charges down tthe Deck Steps to the Fence and checks out the Situation with the Cats ( he hates 8 of them ) next Door. When that is done he walks around the Yard and does his Business. Not even a Minute later , he barks and wants in . There is a freshly new Wetspot on Outdoor Carpet and it has NOT rained. That little Bugger peed right on the Deck . Now that is a first in 7,5 Years. I told him " shape up or ship out ".

Just a claryfication , he goes twice sometimes three times to the Park for long walks.

Maybe there's something in the air on the East coast right now. People have been acting crazy around here the past few days! Could be affecting the dogs too!

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest kkaiser104

Could another animal have peed close by? Sometimes that'll encourage potty behavior.

I would take them out, on leashes, to the far side of the yard (or wherever you WANT them to potty) and walk them in that area until the go. Then lots of praise, treats, and make sure to keep using whatever your training word is (go potty, potty outisde, whatever!). Rinse and repeat. They're going to figure out that pottying in that area=reward. Keep rewarding when they do it, and they'll get it.

As far as peeing in the house, it could be problem of having to go potty or it could be a health problem. If it happen again definitely take a urine sample to the vet.