Thyme Fractured Her Hock

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Are they going to repair the tarsal bone and the two other fractures?

Also, I wonder if she ran into a large branch or big stick or rock or something. My four are always getting nicks and cuts from yard debris, and, though we try and pick up the big pieces, there are always obstacles. Even if she just ran into another running grey it might have been enough to injure her.

He is going to put a plate in and 4 screws. He might have to add some bone from her shoulder? does that sound right? Something about the bone being all broken up and It needs an infusion from another bone...but then he said that there may be a problem because one of the screws goes right through the central tarsal, which is the bone that is shattered.

He said he would consult with Dr. Dyce today and then he will put together a plan of action. Surgery will probably be Thursday or Friday. He said he wanted to start her on Amicar? before surgery in case she bleeds...I didn't hear back from him today, so I image we will find out everything tomorrow.

Yikes. Sounds a little extravagant to me. I personally wouldn't opt for surgery if it's only the tarsal bones. I definitely wouldn't want to take bone from somewhere else. The break will calcify on its own in a splint.

Vets love surgeries for broken bones. They are far more lucrative than splints.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest DeniseL

Yikes. Sounds a little extravagant to me. I personally wouldn't opt for surgery if it's only the tarsal bones. I definitely wouldn't want to take bone from somewhere else. The break will calcify on its own in a splint.

Vets love surgeries for broken bones. They are far more lucrative than splints.

You are right!!! GREAT NEWS, NO SURGERY!!!! YAYYYY!!! Dr. Ben-Amotz had a consult with Dr. Dyce and they both agreed no surgery, splint for 5 weeks and then another set of images!! Thank god!

You are right!!! GREAT NEWS, NO SURGERY!!!! YAYYYY!!! Dr. Ben-Amotz had a consult with Dr. Dyce and they both agreed no surgery, splint for 5 weeks and then another set of images!! Thank god!

Excellent!! Very good news! Just make sure they are going to change the cast out for you at LEAST once a week. Can't stress how important that is!

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I was going to say more often. Opal was casted and even with plastic on to keep it dry, it got moist and that causes all sorts of headache. Better too often and forgo problems. Bwat still ended up with a couple of good size sores. She ended up not have a soft cast at all because of the sores.

Glad she doesn't need surgery!!

Plus they were calling Thyme a he all night. I had to keep correcting them. I don't know why, but it worried me a little. I felt like saying "look...she doesn't have a weinie under there!! She is a girl!!!" LOL

It worries you because if they haven't noticed she's a girl, what else haven't they noticed? :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)