How Much Coconut Oil Do You Give?

I have read that you can give one tablespoon per 30 lbs (or a teaspoon for every 10 lbs). I think you're supposed to work up to that, but I didn't know to do that and Sweep didn't suffer any ill effects. She's 60 lbs and gets about a tablespoon a day, but I also give her fish oil.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest chickenpotpie

I give a teaspoon a day but I also give her fish oils. I give coconut for taste, and smear a little on her hairless parts/fur

Thanks all...Zelda can be a picky eater (she takes after me)...but since I'm trying to improve my health using essential oils, and I'm going to try to eat better and use the coconut oil, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to try her with the coconut oil. If she doesn't like it, then I can still use it LOL

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I've been using it for my dogs (and myself) for years now after reading this article: http://www.cocotherapy.com/wdj_coconut_oil_article.pdf

The following info is from the article:

Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. The optimum dose for dogs is
about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general
guidelines,as some dogs need less and others more. But don’t start with these amounts. Instead, introduce coconut oil a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeasts, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Headaches, fatigue, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms are common in humans who consume too much too fast, and similar symptoms can occur in dogs. Even in healthy dogs, large amounts of coconut oil can cause diarrhea or greasy stools while the body adjusts. Start with small amounts, such as ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Gradually increase the amount every few days. If your dog seems tired or uncomfortable or has diarrhea, reduce the amount temporarily.
Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown