Trying To Walk A Stone Statue :(

Guest DMBFiredancer

Guest DMBFiredancer

I'm new to all of this and was just wondering if I could please get some help on the issue of walking.

I've had a lot of trouble getting Grace to go on walks.I have finally been able to get Grace up out of bed to go outside to the yard for bathroom breaks a few times a day without having to pick her up. I do this by taking her ID collar and gently leading her to the back door with a "Let's Go" She's great when she knows she is just going in the yard and has never had an accident in the house :)

But, going for a walk away from the house is another story.

When I am ready to take her for a walk she gets stressed. I started putting her martingale/leash on by the door (instead of while she is in her safe bed) and she won't even take treats before we leave as a reward for putting martingale/leash on. Once we get outside, she has started to become a stone statue right by the gate to go out.

I have been able to get her out the gate by pulling on her leash and calmly saying, "Let's go" but I have to be honest with you....I feel TERRIBLE for pulling her. Once I get her outside the gate she starts to walk with me.

I am a total walker. LOVE going on walks! This may be selfish of me, but it is discouraging for me right now that she does not enjoy going on walks.

I'd love to ideally walk her 3x a day - in the morning before work, when I get home from work, then a short walk at night before bed to try to tire her out a tiny bit.

Right now I have only been walking her twice a day - morning and evening because 3x seems like it would be too stressful.

Morning walks go much more smoothly than evening walks. My guess is that there is just too much activity at night - more people/kids out, more noises, etc and it freaks her out. Many times I just cut the night walk short because I see her getting stressed.

My questions.....

At what point do you "give in" to your dog just NOT wanting to do something?

Should I be pulling her to go...or NOT going because she is scared?

Part of me thinks I need to get her exposed and 'out there' but part of me wonders if I am making a mistake by "forcing" her...

Would a harness help?

Will she hate walks forever? :(

As always...thank you! :ghplaybow

Edited by DMBFiredancer

Use a regular leather Greyhound leash (it won't hurt your hand so much) and you might even need a leather collar for her to feel 'normal' about it. Give a firm tug combined with a "Gracie....Let's Go!" in a happy voice. Rescue Greyhounds are already trained to walk nicely with anyone who is confident; I suspect it is you being insufficiently confident yet which is causing the issue.

You may need to get her in the car and take her somewhere where she can walk back home first. She ought to know the command "Kennel UP!" for jumping in the car too.

Another thing that may help is all members of the household (pack) going out on the walk (hunting patrol).

Not wanting to go on an evening walk is most likely because she thinks it is the wrong time. They like Dusk best, and coming back home to their routine second meal of the day. Obviously as it's summer that time of the evening may not suit you. Even so ehe should go on 'your' walks whenever you want to do them.

If she looks at you all worried and tail-tucked for no good reason other than cussedness, send her the calming signal of "Lick, YAWN, and look away", then say "Gracie - let's Go!" and tug into the walk. This should remove any guilt you have because you're telling her you get it that she's worried, but anyway everything is just fine really as you're in charge, and you're going on a walk.

I might take her for a very short walk in the morning but otherwise would leave her be until she's more interested in the process. Can't see any reason to push it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Been there, done that!

Slow down, patience....

My Shana would not go down the driveway, would not walk away from the house to the side street.

It is not necessarily a lack of YOUR confidence. It is what it is for now.

She did like getting in the car, so to this day ( 11 years later) we ALWAYS drive somewhere to walk. There was many a day that we got in the car, went somewhere "safe" ( i- no kids, school buses, cars making a lot of noise, no soccer games in a field near by... ) and she would not get out of the car!!!!!! I would try and people would stop and ask me if everything was OK as I tried to get a small black 65 lb dog out of the car for an enjoyable walk!!!!! I used to call my husband who worked nearby and tell him I was stuck mid way through a walk and could not get back to the car because I timed it wrong with the trash collectors and he would come get us !!!!!!!!!!

Oh,how I laugh now!!!! It was rough. It was not about my walk or my exercise at that time. It was working with her and making her comfortable.

BUT, she now goes on 2-3 walks a day depending on the time of year and weather. If she does not want to go, she does not and we take the others.

She still likes early am better then later ( fearful of DUSK!!).

Please just breath, slow down. It all comes together but she needs MORE time.

I asked myself for the first 6 months what have I done. What I did was get the bestest, sweetest, cutest, most trusting dog and one that is soooo much more confident and braver. There is nothing like seeing these dogs get braver.

Did I mention slowing down?

We now go to pet stores, greyhound events, we travel with our 3 and Shana is all about it. It took time and a patience I did not know I had.

We did do one training technique called touch. When she would statue, we stood a few steps ahead and had a treat in our hand, said "touch" and she would step forward. She got the treat, then it kind of broke her stance and she would walk again. We sometimes push her from her behind a bit so we were not pulling her. It was like we had to break her trance of thinking something scary was there and she would move again.

Sometimes it is a matter of going in the direction she wants to go, different from your plan.

Keep up the good work, but breath!!!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I remember that my Goldie was scared at first. He would turn in the direction of the house and sit down and not want to go etc. Things scared him. I just kept making him go and he eventually got completely over that and enjoyed walkies. I would use a harness though because I have found the greyhound necks are very fragile and it has not been uncommom for mine to have neck issues. So in the interest of just being on the safe side that's what I'd do. And don't forget at this stage she could get scared and more likely bolt from something so hold her tight- another reason for the harness. Truly I believe she'll be fine in time but IMO you should make her go as best you can. It might even help to be a little more assertive. You just have to learn your dog-which is what you're doing!

Guest Sourbuzz

"When I am ready to take her for a walk she gets stressed. I started putting her martingale/leash on by the door (instead of while she is in her safe bed) and she won't even take treats before we leave as a reward for putting martingale/leash on."

She is associating "leash" with "walk" and thus, anxiety. Keep the leash on her all the time so she can't associate the two. Keep it loose so it isn't uncomfortable for her.

All the above stated is true. It all depends on what YOU want and how flexible you're willing to be. If you're willing to drive somewhere and walk then maybe that will work. But the great thing about dogs is that they're loyal and they want to please you. Your dog WANTS to do it but just doesn't know how and may need to build a little more trust with you. We had to pull a bit with ours and we actually tried to walk him just one of us at a time. He would freeze a lot. Then one day we said "lets start walking him together" (pack mentality) and he came right out of that door (with a little help from treats and "let's go!") but he budged. He loves walks now and its taken maybe about a few weeks. And we live in the city. He used to be somewhat leary of people/dogs/kids but now he walks right by. They need to know that you'll protect them so try to keep yourself between you and the object that's scaring them. When you've passed the obstacle, give them a treat/praise and keep walking.

The big thing is to keep their minds from "flight". They want to go back. Just a quick, easy tug on the leash will keep their minds forward. Don't be frustrated, angry or they'll sense that. Your voice commands should be clear and confident. Not desparate or nervous.

Also make sure to use "life rewards". Is there anything she likes to do? Our dog loves to go in the kiddie pool so we always make sure he gets the chance to do that when we get back. Even if its just playing in the back or a rawhide. You should always leave training on a good note.

Hope that helps! good luck! and be patient!

Are you using high-value treats as part of these walking attempts? (Something like a bit of cheese or hot dog or boiled chicken breast.) If she's really stressed she might not even be interested in food, but holding out a tasty tidbit in front of her would be a better way to get her to move forward than hauling on her collar. If there are some really fab treats she only gets while walking, you might find her interest in it quickly increases.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest DMBFiredancer

The big thing is to keep their minds from "flight". They want to go back. Just a quick, easy tug on the leash will keep their minds forward. Don't be frustrated, angry or they'll sense that. Your voice commands should be clear and confident. Not desparate or nervous.

As frustrated as I get in my mind, I have never shown any of it to her. I have tried very hard to show confidence - when I take her for walks I actually keep saying to myself, "You've got this...be confident...show her the way with your head up and smiling..."

Good idea about the car...she's good about getting into the car when I say "Up!" but still seems nervous inside, so I have only taken her twice and just driven around then right back home. I want to try to take her somewhere quiet for a walk, but I dont want her to associate car with something she considers stressful (walking) if that makes sense. If I am wrong, let me know!

Didn't you just decide in another thread that you've been trying to do "too much, too soon" with Grace? Same thing here. If she likes morning walks, do those. Skip evening walks for a couple months. Build trust. Give her time.

Yes....you are absolutely right. I am just having a hard time figuring out what to slow down with. Kids I understand.....we don't NEED to tackle that now.

Perhaps I am being selfish because *I* am the one who wants to go on walks.

I'm just having such a hard time with the fine line between "tough love" and giving her time and space I guess....

Thank you for your support and help. I just want to do the right thing for her without babying her too much if that makes sense.

Are you using high-value treats as part of these walking attempts? (Something like a bit of cheese or hot dog or boiled chicken breast.) If she's really stressed she might not even be interested in food, but holding out a tasty tidbit in front of her would be a better way to get her to move forward than hauling on her collar. If there are some really fab treats she only gets while walking, you might find her interest in it quickly increases.

No, but I think I need to.

I'll be honest with you...I have no cheese or real meat like hot dogs in the house because I am vegan.

I do feed her dog food and treats with meat.

Now I am seriously thinking of buying hot dogs today, though. As much as it bothers me, I need to do what is best for her right now.

She seems to be a dog who needs some time to accommodate to new things. So I would let her. My angel Joseph had no interest in leaving our yard for the first 3-4 months he was here. His brain was already full, and there would have been nothing to gain by making him go. After that? He got interested all by himself and was fine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OY! STOP!

No. She won't be like "this" for the rest of her life. She probably won't be like "this" three months from now. But you've got to stop thinking she's broken.

Stop "telling" yourself to be confident, and just. be. confident!

Set a daily schedule. Whatever schedule you're going to be on for school in the fall. Do this schedule every day. Don't change it, don't add things to it, don't take parts of it away. She needs the comfort of knowing what's going to happen so her brain can wrap itself around all the other changes in her life. For some greyhounds, exposing them to lots of things is fine. They're outgoing and not timid and changes don't bother them. Others, like Gracie, need structure and sameness.

A good long walk in the morning is going to be better for her as it will tire her out before you leave. Do your main walk then. I wouldn't worry about a long walk in the afternoon - that's nap time anyway! - make sure she goes out to potty That's about all my guys want to do, especially in the summer heat. Shorter walk before bedtime. She probably thinks it's weird to be outside at night, since they never are.

As far as getting her out of the gate, my tried and true method is to stand behind them and "scootch" them forward with my knees. I agree with PrairieProf using a super yummy treat just for walks. Leave her martingale collar and leash on in the house for random periods. Every so often, just casually walk by and slip them on, drop a treat in front of her, and walk away. A few minutes later, come by, give her a treat and take them off - vary the times she's has it on and the time in between putting it on. Don't make her do anything except accept her leash and collar.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kasey was NOT A FAN OF WALKING when we first got him. He made me late for work several times, very very late. How bad is it to have that excuse for work - I couldn't walk my dog???!!!

I was unfortunately stuck one morning, several hundred metres from home, because he statued. I sat on the curb on the road waiting for him to decide what to do, easily between 15-30 minutes. What got us going again? Another dog walking towards us. This peaked his interest enough to get moving, once moving I continued to match his pace, full run if that's what was needed, in order to get home. It was completely discouraging so I understand how you are feeling. I didn't want to take him for another walk ever again in my life.

I have encouraged forward movement by physically picking up one paw at a time and moving it forward. He was not motivated to move by treats. Sometimes I would also push his butt from behind, sometimes turning him into a wheelbarrow to get moving.....

Be assertive and firm in your mind when walking. Confidence is important. They really do feed off of that.

I'm not sure how long you've had her, she's still getting used to this whole retirement deal.

Remember if you go for walks to be consistent and have a routine, until she starts to like walking. Same time every day, same direction, same favorite potty spots. She needs to get used to her surroundings in order to get comfortable.

It will not be like this forever, but you do have to be patient. Training and routine will help, but if she is breaking down, you will have to learn how to identify that and give her a break accordingly.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest DMBFiredancer

Set a daily schedule. Whatever schedule you're going to be on for school in the fall. Do this schedule every day. Don't change it, don't add things to it, don't take parts of it away. She needs the comfort of knowing what's going to happen so her brain can wrap itself around all the other changes in her life. For some greyhounds, exposing them to lots of things is fine. They're outgoing and not timid and changes don't bother them. Others, like Gracie, need structure and sameness.

This is the part where I get confused. Some say to give her time and not push her with things she does not want to do, yet others say to stick to a schedule and basically just do it.

I know that everyone's opinions and styles are very different. People just do things in different ways. I am just trying to do what is best. This is what I have been trying to do by "forcing" her on the walks. I want her to get used to what daily life will be like, especially when school starts back up.

I don't think she's broken...I know I can help her. I'm just trying to figure out the best way.

My "Will she hate walks forever?" comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek....perhaps I should have put a winkey-face or something to show that better...sorry. Of COURSE I know she will get better.

I'm just frustrated today...sorry everyone. A week and a half of showing Gracie my happy face 24-7 while feeling frustrated that she doesn't like to walk as much as I'd like her to caught up to me I guess. I'm only human :(

I'll go do some yoga and de-stress.

Hopefully it is normal to just a hit a point where you feel a bit frustrated and break a little.

I'm glad I recognize that so I can work on bringing my best to her after I de-stress...

Be assertive and firm in your mind when walking. Confidence is important. They really do feed off of that.

I'm not sure how long you've had her, she's still getting used to this whole retirement deal.

Remember if you go for walks to be consistent and have a routine, until she starts to like walking. Same time every day, same direction, same favorite potty spots. She needs to get used to her surroundings in order to get comfortable.

Thank you. I have not always been going the same route. I will start doing this now.

Guest chardae

Before doing the walking/training thing, find a special treat that she really loves, just giving it to her first under happy no-stress situations. When you find THAT treat, then save it for use when training her walks, with praise also, of course.

If you find she responds to the treats while on her walks, don't give up on them too soon.......you have to get out of the mind-set that it "shouldn't be necessary" to give your dog treats/praise/rewards to have them walk, sit, obey other commands, etc. As she learns or simply becomes more comfortable with the walk, you just make treats more random, and in time you will be able to reduce them.

Also, be careful she doesn't sense any disappointment from you.......I train my poodle in competitive obedience, and boy, did I have to learn that lesson!!

You have been getting some conflicting advice, which is only natural. Different people have different methods, and more importantly, the dogs are different. You have to decide what will work best for Gracie. Based on what you have said, here and other places, it sounds to me like she is a combination of my first grey, who was very timid and shy, and one of my current girls, who isn't timid, but is extremely devoted to her routine. Example: Molly loves to go for walks, but only in our neighborhood where she is familiar with everything. She loves to go for car rides, but if we get out somewhere new, she refuses to budge. Anything new is met with great suspicion.

So, I agree with the answers that say, time and patience. If she does ok in the morning, just walk her in the morning for now. I like the idea of randomly putting on her collar and leash in the house, treat, come back a little later and take it off. That will desensitize her to the whole "getting dressed" part. I know it is hard for you as a vegan to deal with meat, but remember, Gracie isn't a vegan :) Try a few different cooked meat & cheeses to see if one really appeals to her. Molly will walk on water for bacon, and all mine adore roast turkey (the deli slices). She is still pretty overwhelmed with all the changes in her life, and it sounds like she is one who takes some time to adjust to any change.

I have not read everyone's response, but in our world with our shy guy he too was a very reluctant walker. We tended to let him be the guide to where he would go, and we did a lot of just standing and taking-it-all in (a few steps out the front door). (after 8 years, we still have primarily 1 route that he will walk, while our other grey will walk anywhere)

He loved getting in the car so for MONTHS the routine became my driving my husband and the dog down the street (about 1/2 mile) and dropping them off on my way to work and they would walk back home... cause Kingsley was more-than-happy to walk back home.

Over time we would all get in the car, drive 1 block away and all walk around and then home... Kingsley has always done better walking with the entire pack (and one of our motivations for getting a 2nd dog)

I just recalled that he often would get over his anxiety about walking as soon as he was across the street, so we would carry him across the street, and then start the walk... oh, funny boy... lots of change over 8 years now.

So in some ways it will get better, and you will start to figure out when you can push it, and when you just need to let her stay in the yard. But as you can also see from our experience, it can take months and years and might not get to where you had imagined.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest Marsroving

Mars has been home now for six months. I'll never forget the first time he chased a ball we threw to fetch, I cried. Seriously. I cried. I was so happy for him that he was finally becoming "dog" like and figured out that playing is fun. Just last week, he picked up his kong stuffie (the kind with the dental disks) and chewed it for the first time. It was the first thing we purchased for him before he even came home. Jasmine (my partner) kept commenting that the kong was a complete waste of money but now that he's tossing it around and has already gone through one refill, we both know it was the best $25 we've spent in our life!

Currently, our family too is having a walking issue as well. The 4th of July was hard on Mars. We've also been having our bathroom remodeled during the day while Jasmine and I are both at work. What a mistake! He is now showing major fear towards loud banging sounds. Typically he has had free run of the house but during the remodel we had to keep him in our bedroom (where he sleeps) to keep him safe and make sure the workers wouldn't accidentally let him out. Now when we are out walking, any loud sound and he wants to bolt back home. This morning I walked him much earlier than normal to avoid the midday sounds yet a car starting spooked him and again he wanted to run back home. I pet him gently, spoke to him calmly and reassured him everything was okay. We continued on our walk as normal with no incident but for now I'm going to avoid busy areas and contruction sites so that he can regain his footing, so to speak.

You and Gracie will get through this. She has been home a very short time. Spend a lot of time just being near her in your home. If possible move her dog bed into the room your in so she can see what you're doing. Talk to her, give her pets if she wants them. Build the trust first and everything else will fall into place. Mars is now a true velcro and I bet one day Gracie will be too. From what I've seen its the shy ones that become the real lovers.

Guest lemon

I wonder if it would be possible to find someone with your adoption group or a local greyhound person who has experience working with shy greyhoudns that would be willing to be sort of a mentor as you work with Grace. They could maybe help guide your actions with her but also be there with their hound as an example of how much a shy greyhound can change given time and also empathize with feelings of frustration (let's be honest, none of us are perfect humans and there will be times we place expectations on those around us that are not met and get frustrated). Greytalk is great but it can be overwhelming in the sense of so many suggestions so having a consistent person for advice with a viewpoint/experience that you trust might be helpful. Of course, I’m also really new at this greyhound thing so who knows if this advice is any good ^_^ , l think looking for a mentor is what the teacher in me naturally gravitate towards. It's obvious you care a great deal about Gracie and want to do right by her.

If there's no reason that she has to be walked, I wouldn't stress her or you about making her go. I don't know what purpose that serves. Really don't understand some of the posts about being assertive, making her go, etc.

If she had to be walked for potty purposes, that would be a bit different -- but not much. In that case I'd recommend taking her only as far/long as needed for her to do her business, and then letting her come home if she prefers.

Guest Waterdog66

What Batmom Said worked for Audrey. (I had read this in another thread)

Once she figured out that all of the dogs she smelled were from another tribe, she would statue on the front walk and stare. On a regular schedule, we just continued to do this and I let her lead me to where she wanted to go and after 3 months, her circle around the house is about 4 miles.

She still sees the front yard (Specifically the end of the walk) as her safe place and she will stand and observe everything from there.

Now she happily sniffs and even marks everywhere within her radius She is still keen on taking her longest walks Pre-Dawn or Dusk and will alternate which way she goes down our street. (Up the block to the cul-de-sac or the other way toward the canyon) Now she knows where the tastiest grass is, the grumpiest dogs live, and the friendliest kids are she will lead us all over hill and dale in her quest. \

Just be patient

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

As frustrated as I get in my mind, I have never shown any of it to her. I have tried very hard to show confidence - when I take her for walks I actually keep saying to myself, "You've got this...be confident...show her the way with your head up and smiling..."

Good idea about the car...she's good about getting into the car when I say "Up!" but still seems nervous inside, so I have only taken her twice and just driven around then right back home. I want to try to take her somewhere quiet for a walk, but I dont want her to associate car with something she considers stressful (walking) if that makes sense. If I am wrong, let me know!

Yes....you are absolutely right. I am just having a hard time figuring out what to slow down with. Kids I understand.....we don't NEED to tackle that now.

Perhaps I am being selfish because *I* am the one who wants to go on walks.

I'm just having such a hard time with the fine line between "tough love" and giving her time and space I guess....

Thank you for your support and help. I just want to do the right thing for her without babying her too much if that makes sense.

No, but I think I need to.

I'll be honest with you...I have no cheese or real meat like hot dogs in the house because I am vegan.

I do feed her dog food and treats with meat.

Now I am seriously thinking of buying hot dogs today, though. As much as it bothers me, I need to do what is best for her right now.

Don't you mean you are a "vegetarian". "Vegan" is more of a lifestyle that eliminates all animal products. If you wear makeup, use a computer, drive a car, then you are using animal products and cannot call yourself a "vegan".

Other than that, I think that you have gotten advise from just about every angle you can. I would just say this, realize your hound is new to the world and shy about things. She may never get better, she may. I have one girl that has made huge strides from being a sack of shaking jello at the back of her crate when I adopted her to actually walking through large crowds of people (granted she is on a harness and tries to climb inside my leg when we are walking near people she doesn't know). I have had her for nearly 5 years and she does enjoy walks as long as there are not yelling kids, groups of people she has to walk near or fireworks/thunder. Just who she is. I love her regardless (and no I am not trying to say you don't love your hound).

Guest DMBFiredancer

I wonder if it would be possible to find someone with your adoption group or a local greyhound person who has experience working with shy greyhoudns that would be willing to be sort of a mentor as you work with Grace. They could maybe help guide your actions with her but also be there with their hound as an example of how much a shy greyhound can change given time and also empathize with feelings of frustration (let's be honest, none of us are perfect humans and there will be times we place expectations on those around us that are not met and get frustrated). Greytalk is great but it can be overwhelming in the sense of so many suggestions so having a consistent person for advice with a viewpoint/experience that you trust might be helpful. Of course, I’m also really new at this greyhound thing so who knows if this advice is any good ^_^ , l think looking for a mentor is what the teacher in me naturally gravitate towards. It's obvious you care a great deal about Gracie and want to do right by her.

Thank you...I did call my adoption group and talked to the person who fostered Grace. She agreed that too many suggestions might be overwhelming me right now in figuring out what to do. She went for sort of a mix of what people are saying here....nix the night walk if it is causing TOO much stress but still force her out for the morning one at least.

I appreciate everyone's comments, though....they all help me in the long run. I have learned so much using this forum...I can't thank people enough!

Guest DMBFiredancer

Don't you mean you are a "vegetarian". "Vegan" is more of a lifestyle that eliminates all animal products. If you wear makeup, use a computer, drive a car, then you are using animal products and cannot call yourself a "vegan".

Nope.

I consider myself vegan.

I use no animal products...I eat nothing that comes from an animal, wear nothing that comes from an animal, buy only makeup/beauty products that contain no animal products and were not tested on animals, buy household cleansers that were not tested on animals, have cloth seats in my car, etc.......Sure, you can argue that my tires on my car contain animal based stearic acid, or that I may have unknowingly bought a pair of sneakers that contains animal glue, or that I unknowingly sipped a glass of wine that was made using isinglass as part of the process.......etc......but for the MOST part, I make EVERY effort for things that are in my control to buy/use products that have ZERO connection to animals.

So if the vegan police wants to nitpick the little things that are out of my control, that's fine.....I'll call myself vegan, and y'all can call me vegetarian ;)