For Those Who Feed Both Raw And Kibble

For Those who feed both raw and kibble  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you typically feed your dog?

• Raw food fed seperately from kibble at different mealtimes
    • Raw food and kibble mixed together in the same meal
    • Mostly kibble, with raw food added once in a while as an extra
    • Mostly raw food, with kibble added once in a while as extra
    • Something else entirely (please specify in comments!)

Just curious as it was brought to my attention today that some people advise against feeding raw food with kibble at the same time. I did a search on google and found that people advocate feeding raw separate from kibble because of different digestion times for these two types of food. This can potentially cause problems such as bacterial overgrowth as kibble is digested slower than raw which results in the raw staying in the body for longer than it should. Or it causes digestive confusion because the body doesn't know when to secrete certain enzymes because the foods are going through the digestive system at different rates. End result is your dog gets sick/has diarrhea/digestive system shuts down/bloat/dies/scary stuff.

However, aren't greyhounds fed kibble mixed with raw (and rice, and veggies, and all sorts of things depending on kennel) during their racing careers?

Just wondering what experiences people have had with feeding their own dogs, and if any specific way has worked better for their dogs.

Edited by antisense

The "don't feed kibble with raw" and different digestion times is a myth. Feed what you want, when you want, in any mixture that your dog likes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Addie

I used to feed 1\2 pound raw meat 1 cup of kibble and other stuff like rice or oatmeal and veggies for years. Now I feed one meal kibble and one meal raw because I have to be at work at 6am and its just easier to feed kibble only for breakfast. I was cooking the meat for a few months because I heard not to mix it with raw but I went back to not cooking it.

This morning they had kibble along with cooked chicken/veggies/rice. This evening they had 6" turkey necks and some available kibble if they wanted it-so far, no takers. Chances are they'll have a late snack but most of the kibble will be there in the morning.

If they had their way they'd eat raw at each meal ;)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I have a local woman who makes a ground mix with all of the organs, tripe and muscle meat. I mix this about half and half with kibble in the morning with fish oil and sometimes add-ins like eggs, sardines. Dinner is usually a raw meaty bone/boneless meat and I also often add a bit of healthy table leftovers (pasta, rice, veggies, etc) if I have them.

You can mix raw and kibble together, I do believe raw digests faster, but it shouldn't be a problem. Almost every dog from the racetrack would have been fed a diet of a kibble/meat mix. Performance sled dogs are also often fed the same diet with no problems.

Guest Scarter55

The only legitimate concern I've seen with mixing raw (meat) with kibble is that you raise the protein content. So if you do that, be sure to balance it out with veggies/grains, or whatever you like to use.

The main raw food we give Lady is chicken necks. This we feed her seperate from kibble, along with some veggies and grain to round it out. However, we often mix an egg or two in with her kibble, which counts as mixing raw and kibble I suppose.

In general, I think a lot of over thinking goes into dog diets. I was a little anxious about feeding her food that I've prepared myself until our trainer told me I was being dumb. Why do we trust ourselves to feed ourselves and our families but not to feed our dogs? (Because of marketers, but that's a whole different story) With that in mind, I am no longer intimidated at feeding her myself. That said, I'm not careless about it either.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if the "kibble takes longer to digest" idea comes of the fact that much kibble mass is vegetable matter, which is usually fed to omnivores or herbivores - which *have a longer digestive tract to digest it* I don't know that I believe that your body thinks "hmm, this is kibble, so I have to slow things down a bit" and the next meal thinks "oo, raw meat, I'll just hurry this along". But I am not a physiologist, don't have any sort of degree in comparative nutrition, and haven't read any studies on this. So I just wonder if it's just misconstruing things based on digestive system length and assuming the food means the speed changes. :dunno