We're Nearing The End With Murphy--Lymphoma

Prednisone stopped working and he was uncomfortable. The oncologist switched us to Dexamethasone 4mg/day, but the swelling in the abdomin has not gone done and one of the lymph nodes in his throat has increased in size. Either the new drug or the increased tramadol is keeping him comfortable for now.

For right now, he's still a happy boy who eats with gusto and enjoys life, but these are not good signs. If things keep progressing, I think we'll have a wonderful weekend and the vet will come Monday.

Please keep our sweet boy in your thoughts.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so very sorry Beth. I hope Murphy still has some good days ahead.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I wish you could have more time with him. You know your sweet boy well, and he will be safe and very loved until you know that it's time to say good-bye.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hugs for yourself and gentle tummy rubs for your sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of love, cuddles and spoiling.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am so sorry. While this is hard and so unfair, he is in the best place with you. He got his quality time, which is what he wanted. I will keep you and Murphy in my thoughts.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:grouphug FWIW, Murphy doesn't know why you are sad. It's another one of those "hardest things" to do for us to put on a brave face in front of our fur kids when all we want to do it lose it. I hope you have a wonderful weekend together, laffing and smiling at each other. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh my, I'm so sorry. I know what that is like. We are all here for you.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

When we lost our first two to osteo we took them for a last ride in the car and walk in the park. Neither were emergencies so we savored the moments. When we lost our Charlotte on the 14th of this month we knew we were going to say goodbye to her in the e-vet where she had been overnight. I brought the rest of the cooked chopped meat that I had made for her when we hoped the GI business that was her undoing was just a passing thing and could be fixed with the old rice and cooked beef remedy. She gobbled what she could but whatever monstrosity that was growing inside her prevented her from eating too much. My husband and I spent an hour in a room with her, hugging, kissing, praying and crying. We had wanted to take her for a walk around the grounds but it was miserably hot and we could not ask it of her. Do whatever you need to, to give your souls peace. You will be in all our minds and hearts, I am sure.

I still treasure the last few days of sharing special favorite things with Piper, knowing that goodbye was coming. I'm so sorry that your boy can't stay longer with you. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My thoughts are with you both...I'm hoping he has more quality time with you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Assumming we get a couple of days of Murphy feeling well, here's what's on his list:

1. Visiting the office ladies every day and getting fussed over.

2. Visiting my friend's yard to run after balls

3. Going to get icecream and getting fussed over by people.

4. Walking downtown Saturday and getting fussed over by people.

5. Apartment pool party and getting fussed over by people--the staff have told us he's getting a surprise.

6. Probably a steak if I can figure out how to cook it for him.

7. More new toys to destroy in 5 minutes.

8. All the loving we can give him.

If you haven't seen the theme, Murphy lives for love and petting, even more than food and treats. Nothing makes him happier than leaning in while some stranger figures out how wonderful greyhounds are or lying in my lap and getting petted. It makes me so sad that after a life of not being loved, he's only had 4 months for us to love him, but I hope he's only remembering the last few months.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I would bet that the last 4 months HAS been his life. He is happy and loves you and know you love him. The rest, for him, is icing. My heart breaks for you. I had to do this exactly a year ago and it was so very difficult. But, I found some comfort knowing that I was the best thing that ever happened to him (his past was atrocious) and he was the best thing that ever happened to me and he knew it. That's a great list. For the steak, you could always go somewhere and have one prepared to go if you are unable to prepare it yourself.

You're a good mom.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow