Osteo Thread Part V I I

katie's oncologist recommended having her swollen lymph node excised and biopsied, so she's having surgery on monday to do that.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sigh of relief for Katie! Casper is cleared for round 4 of chemo today. His white blood cell count just made it. He is also up to 70 lbs. Now we need to maintain him there. And his phantom pain is doing better with the pain meds. I think we have a good dosage/combo that keeps MOST of the phantom pain at bay. He jerks every now and then. But SO MUCH better than a month ago.

Yay, Casper! :yay Glad to hear his phantom pain is getting better, too!

katie's oncologist recommended having her swollen lymph node excised and biopsied, so she's having surgery on monday to do that.

Hope Katie's surgery goes well and the biopsy confirms the results from the aspiration.

Lana had her third chemo this past Wednesday. She seems to be tolerating it well. She was scheduled to have it the week before, but her WBC count was too low, so they put her on enrofloxacin and had her wait a week. Her oncologist also decided to wait until the day of her fourth treatment to repeat her chest x-rays.

Went back in to meet with the doctor today and go over the xrays. I feel better now than I did on Monday.

1) Her mets really are micro. There are 3-4 but they're all less than a centimeter currently.

2) So far she's had no side effects from her oral chemo.

I'm looking on the bright side.

That's good that they're all that small. I seem to remember reading that oral chemo is helpful for lung mets. Will she continue receiving her regular chemotherapy too? And artemisinin?

That's good that they're all that small. I seem to remember reading that oral chemo is helpful for lung mets. Will she continue receiving her regular chemotherapy too? And artemisinin?

She'll only be getting the oral chemo. Downside to that is that it's 3x every week instead of 1x every three weeks. Upside is that she has had no visible side effect this week. I am giving her artemisinin too 100 mg 1x/day but I might up that to 2x/day.

Blood tests after 3 weeks. Xrays again after 6 weeks.

How did Katie's surgery go today?

Python is entering week 2 of oral chemo. Still no side effects (woo!!)

She's also getting around so well and quickly. Sometimes I catch her looking at me like "C'mon mom, why are you so slow?" when we head to the door to go out.

katie did just fine with her sx. the node was removed and sent out for biopsy -- we should hear back in 3-5 days.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

Yay Python and Katie! :yay

Last night Lana was panting heavily, trembling, and just couldn't get comfortable (she kept lying down on one bed and then getting up and going to another bed). We gave her a cerenia but that didn't help so we took her into the ER. They did an x-ray to rule out bloat and took some blood to check her WBC count, kidney & liver function, and a host of other things. Everything came back within normal limits, so we're hoping it's just GI upset. We withheld food until this evening and then gave her a very light supper. So far so good. I have a feeling we've been feeding her too rich of a diet. We were so worried about her not getting enough calories/nutrition while on chemo that we went too far in the other direction. :(

katie's biopsy report said she has a high-grade lymphoma. whether it's the OSA that metastasized into that one lymph node, or whether we're now dealing with OSA and lymphoma, we don't know. her vet is going to verify that the person who did the cytology knew that katie had OSA already.

we don't know enough yet to be speculating about time, but i can't help but think that we had more of it than we do.

in the meantime, katie sleeps.

Steve, I am very sorry to read Katie's new diagnosis. She was doing so well after her amp and now she has to battle this. Hang in there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry, Steve. Good thoughts for Katie and for your family.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest fastcasper

I am heartbroken about the news of Katie. She is doing awesome with the amputation and her chemo! Now you all have to deal with this. You are in my prayers and please hang in there as best you can. I hope they can come up with some game plan to give much more of the time that you deserve. I assure you that Casper is rooting Katie on!!! White dogs have to stick together!!

I can't believe Katie has either a new cancer or metastasis. :cry1 But, I know you will make the most of her time here, and hope that she will do well for a long, long time. Hopefully they will get back to you with more info, and a good game plan can be developed.

I'm glad to hear that Casper and Lana are continuing to do well (with the exception of Lana having some GI upset - glad that's better now).

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

i fear that the end game is starting for tempo. he is suddenly uncomfortable, and seems to have a hard time laying down, circling many, many, many times, and then only gingerly going to the ground. he was up last night a lot panting. he is still eating and gets excited for walks, but i definitely see something missing. going to start him on a low dose of tramadol today that will hopefully carry him through to his oncology appointment on friday. i think ive definitely decided that i'm not going to wait until the phase where he will "tell me" that the time has come. by that time i think it will be too late. i'd rather his last day be a perfect one for him.

katie will have a splenic ultrasound to use as a baseline to track progress against the lymphoma (she has no lymph nodes that could've been used as they've been removed) on monday, followed immediately by a consult with her oncologist so we can get started on the CHOP protocol. we'll be switching over to that protocol from the carboplatin used against her OSA.

she hasn't been feeling too great since a couple of days since her node removal: lethargic and nauseous -- signs of lymphoma. if there's anything positive to come out of this, at least it was only one lymph node affected. not that we're deluding ourselves into thinking that that's all there is, (no doubt there are cells floating around in her system) but it could be much, much worse.

I am sorry to hear that Tempo is having a tough time right now. I'm hoping that he just overdid things a bit playing or something, and that with some meds and rest, he'll bounce back.

Of course, if he is declining, your plan for letting him go when he can still have a perfect day sounds like the best, most loving thing you can do for him.

Steve, does this mean that they've definitely determined it is a separate lymphoma, not related to her osteo? Either way, it's a cruel blow to all of you. I've heard some lymphomas are very responsive to treatment. Do they have any feelings about how she might respond to the CHOP protocol?

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

sadly, this is almost definitely not an injury. he didnt finish his food tonight for the first time since i've known him, and even with the tramadol, he still gets up panting. if this is whats to come, it may already be too late. the dog ive spent my day with today is not the dog i know. he is very tired, and behaving very vulnerably, coming over end leaning into my side, or resting his face on my leg at every chance. its heartbreaking, to be sure. he still wags his tail and wants to carry his ball with him to the park, but after we get there he just drops it and looks like he wants to go home.

Steve, does this mean that they've definitely determined it is a separate lymphoma, not related to her osteo? Either way, it's a cruel blow to all of you. I've heard some lymphomas are very responsive to treatment. Do they have any feelings about how she might respond to the CHOP protocol?

yes, it is separate from the osteo, per the pathologist. she is at stage 1 (meaning only one node involved). both of her vets checked all of her other nodes, and they all feel normal.

any way you look at it, it's pretty messed up that she has to deal with two cancers.

jay, you will do right by tempo.

two tramadols in and its not helping. he is half asleep, but keeps kicking his leg out and around, as if he's searching for a comfortable way to rest it that he cant find. this is exactly what he was doing with his now amputated leg right before his diagnosis. i dont think its a stretch to say that im all but certain he now has a tumor in his leg or on his spine. for the pain to be this bad, its all i can think of.

i am now waiting to hear back from the ER doctor. if i can, i'd like to take him in to get confirming films on his back legs and spine before making any decisions.

this is not unfolding as i had imagined. i am sitting with him on the floor right now, and rather than being sad, i am simply extraordinarily worried that he is in too much pain. stopping that from happening is all thats important at the moment, even though i have a feeling that if we leave for the vet, tempo wont be coming back home with me.

Edited by jaym1

well, he lives to see another day. brought him into the ER for x-rays. he is definitely in pain somewhere, but the films were negative on his hind leg, where the pain seemed to be coming from. i wasnt completely thrilled with the ER vet, but i dont know what more there is to do. came home with some gabapentin as well.

im not really sure what to do when there's pain, but from no specific source. it seemed to be the rear left leg (his front left was the amp). i dont want to euthanize if its just some passing thing, but i also dont want to risk a pathologic fracture. i dont really know what to do. ive moved my memory foam mattress pad out to the couch where the dogs sleep, and we're all laying on the floor together, for another night at least. tempo finally seems to be restful.

Use the gabapentin. I bet it'll make him feel better. Upping tramadol is just fine but sometimes it makes them agitated too, so then you can't tell what's going on at all.

Is he running a temperature?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--