Osteo Thread Part V I I

Dude always got a cerenia *before* his chemo treatments (we used tablets at home), and then for 4 days following if he had upset/nausea. It's hard to get in front of tummy troubles once they begin.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Python has FINALLY (8 weeks post amp) been okay'd to start chemo.

Do you usually wait while your hound has treatment? Do you drop off and come back? How long does it usually take?

it takes like 15 minutes for tempo to get his. i have to bring rocko with us, so i usually take him out for a walk behind the building, and by the time we get back, tempo is usually just about done. its very quick. however, each treatment involves meeting and speaking with the oncologist for 15 to 20 minutes, then a CBC count, which takes about 15 minutes total, then the treatment. so all things considered the chemo visit is usually around an hour long or so from start to finish.

I had to say goodbye to Miss Carrie this afternoon...she'd been having some issues with what I THOUGHT was her toe on her left rear foot. This afternoon I returned home from a friend's house to find her unable to walk. She could stand up but that was about it. Clearly she was hurting.

An xray showed she had osteo in her left distal femur, in the exact same spot as Pinky :( I made the decision to let her go - with her right rear leg being compromised from the stroke she had several years ago, pain meds weren't going to help her get around any better. And I'd never be able to forgive myself if she hurt herself while I was at work...I'd never want her to be scared and in pain.

My suspicion is that this has been brewing for a while, and because of her advanced age and other issues with her back, I just figured we needed to more aggressively treat her lumbosacral stenosis (acupuncture has been making a big difference for her for over a year now).

Rest well and make sure to honk at all of the other pups waiting at the Bridge, Carrie...you'll be missed here :heart

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Kristin, I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your girl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

i'm sorry for your loss, kristin.

katie got her third dose this afternoon. two more doses to go.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

I'm so sorry Kristin........................................

Dude's chemo took four hours - I'd drop him off in the morning and wait while they did a quick CBC to see if he was good to go, then would pick him up in the early afternoon.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kristin, I am sorry. I just can't believe it as you have gone through this far too much.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry, Kristin :( :( you'v lost so many in such a short time :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Python's chemo was called off today. Her x rays showed micro mets. I am not dealing well.

Next stage of treatment is palladia 3x week with cerenia for nausea. Also thinking I'll up her artemisinin to 100 mg 2x a day.

Other suggestions welcome and appreciated

Python's chemo was called off today. Her x rays showed micro mets. I am not dealing well.

Next stage of treatment is palladia 3x week with cerenia for nausea. Also thinking I'll up her artemisinin to 100 mg 2x a day.

Other suggestions welcome and appreciated

Oh no, I am sorry. You can manage mets though for a while with some of the above treatments. We'll sent good thoughts for Python that you can keep the mets under control and he enjoys life for a long time to come.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kristen, I'm sorry to hear about Miss Carrie. :grouphug How is Ozzie?

bozicj, so sorry Python's x-ray showed micro mets. How is she doing otherwise?

It was actually a surprise to hear. 9 weeks post-amp tomorrow, her incision/infection site is almost totally healed and her personality is totally back. She seems like her old self.

I have to go back and re-research now, it has been such a long road healing from her infection that I have totally forgotten how mets changes outlook.

I'm so sorry to hear that Python has mets :( But as many have said, she can still be happy for a while. When Pinky's mets were discovered, there were two: one the size of a baseball and one the size of a small orange. She had no breathing issues at all. However, she had side issues like edema in her legs...likely the cancer had invaded her lymphatic system. She never ever had trouble breathing though, so, as long as she doesn't crop up with involvement elsewhere, hopefully Python has a long time yet :grouphug

Ozzie is doing well. I went back to work today from my vacation and he did alright. He howls a little when I first leave, but, then he just snoozes on the couch :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Kristin, I didn't say in here yet how sorry I am that you had to say goodbye to Carrie so suddenly. Osteo has been far, far too cruel to your family.

Bozicj, I'm saddened and shocked to hear that Python has developed mets so quickly. I am glad that she is happy and acting completely normal. I believe you will embrace that as fully as possible, and make the most of all the time you have left together.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest OPointyDog

Can I just say how much this horrible disease sucks??

Just ran into our neighbor, who lost her beloved and beautiful boy, Neptune, to osteo this weekend. He was a fun-loving Newfie mix, and would watch out the window every day for us when we walked by and then come rushing out to meet us. He loved Zoe in particular, and would spend several minutes arranging his stick collection to show her, and then growl at her when she tried to touch one. Typical male. We will miss him.

Hugs to all who are dealing with this nasty disease. :grouphug

Edited by OPointyDog

I'm so sorry to hear about Python's mets Jeni.

You have been through so much and have tried so hard

to get her healed.

My hope is that you'll have much more time with your

sweet little girl.

Make every day a special day and enjoy all the love

that she brings you.

You're a good mama.

Everything is terrible with this. Sorry to everyone who is dealing with the tragedies that this disease brings to them and to their dogs.

The only solace or way out of this, I find, is that it forces me to search for perspective. I can be a pretty pessimistic person, by nature, but the full awfulness of what is happening is too much even for me, so I have to constantly reframe things in my head in order to search for the positives and for the aspects of the bigger picture that make it all tolerable.

Ultimately animals are magical in a very real way. They represent aspects of ourselves, and a kind of freedom and independence that we all covet. But we also project a lot of ourselves onto the animals that we relate to, and it is essential, when dealing with the death of a beloved animal, to decouple these projections of yourself from the animal you love. It's particularly difficult with dogs, which are trained to be so responsive to our physical emotional cues that they seem almost human. It's all the more so for greyhounds, who bring a level of curiosity and demureness that makes it nearly impossible to view them as anything other than humans in a different kind of body. Still, the only way to get through it is to try to understand death in the context of their lives, not in the context of our lives. There is a real difference there that I'm not going to get into right now, but it's there just the same.

Edited by jaym1

I'm sorry about Python..................................................

Guest fastcasper

My heart is broken for you and Python. It's simply not fair. I feel she , Katie, Lana, and Casper were the "spring class of 2013" of this horrible disease. I did find comfort reading what everyone was going through with their pups too , it helped me gauged how Casper was doing. I am very sad by this news for Python. Casper is my first pup with this cancer, so I am "new" to this cancer. But it sounds like (from reading the other posts from more veterans), Python will still have some quality time. I simply don't know what to say... Please, try and enjoy the present with her, as she is certainly enjoying it with you.

Went back in to meet with the doctor today and go over the xrays. I feel better now than I did on Monday.

1) Her mets really are micro. There are 3-4 but they're all less than a centimeter currently.

2) So far she's had no side effects from her oral chemo.

I'm looking on the bright side.

gayle found a swollen lymph node on katie's right side late this afternoon, close to the incision. aspirating it got only blood. her vet couldn't identify any mets in the aspirate for certain, but that, plus chest rads (which were clear), and a CBC are being forwarded to katie's oncologist. we should hear back tomorrow.

katie's gained a bit more weight, in the meantime.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

lymphoid hyperplasia...that's what katie's got. so her nodes are reacting to something, and they themselves are not infected.

but no cancer cells found in her lymph node aspirate. woo!

Guest fastcasper

sigh of relief for Katie! Casper is cleared for round 4 of chemo today. His white blood cell count just made it. He is also up to 70 lbs. Now we need to maintain him there. And his phantom pain is doing better with the pain meds. I think we have a good dosage/combo that keeps MOST of the phantom pain at bay. He jerks every now and then. But SO MUCH better than a month ago.