Osteo Thread Part V I I

I am also very sorry to read about Tempo's diagnosis, it is so very unfair. You fought hard for him and now it's time to love every minute of him, make memories and spoil him even more than you have done already. Again truly sorry...

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone. this is still devastating. everywhere he goes, and for as long as I have known him, Tempo follows every rule, real or imagined. He waits at the water bowl for other dogs to drink. He sits down at the front door without even asking when it's time to go out. He steps over puddles because he doesn't like to get his feet wet. His sole reason for existing is to play fetch with his beloved giant rubber ball, which he carries himself to the dog park three times per day. But if another dog so much as looks in the direction of his ball when I throw it, he won't chase after it. He won't look anyone in the eye, and seems to generally be aware of a whole series of laws that he tries his best to follow, even when it makes him seem nuts, or ruins the fun for him. In short he has tried so hard to fit in in the world of retirement, and now this is what happens to him. It sucks.

Even though I had prepared for this possibility by talking with my oncologist during our previous visit, the reality of it rendered me unprepared to really ask good questions or agree on a strategy going forward. Having read more literature today, it seems that there is basically no evidence that IV chemo has any effectiveness with metastases present, and that it may actually be less effective than metronomic chemo, the efficacy of which is in itself in doubt. What are people's thoughts on going the IV route? Carboplatin was no problem for him, and yesterdays doxorubicin doesn't seem to have been a big deal (he's a little tired today).

Also, does anyone have any experience with artemisinin and pet insurance? Healthy Paws has been very good to us, but I wonder if they will reimburse for a non-prescription supplement, even when it's recommended by a vet. Also on that note, I have found the yahoo artemisinin group to be too poorly organized and impenetrable. Does anyone have recommendations for artemisinin brands? Dr. Couto told me that 100mg per day is recommended, but I have heard rumblings that that dosage may be low. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The saddest part is that Rocko, who I adopted solely to keep Tempo company, has now grown accustomed to never being alone. I will have to get ANOTHER greyhound to keep him company when Tempo is gone (when Tempo is gone . . . this is the first time I've typed that). Finding a suitable greyhound is the type of thing that takes weeks, if not months to arrange, but the idea of even thinking about this while Tempo is here is tremendously upsetting, for many obvious reasons.

Edited by jaym1

Be at peace.

Enjoy Tempo now. Take photos. Throw him a party. Go to the beach. Let him play fetch. Give him ice cream and cake and steak and cookies. Relax and enjoy Tempo while he is here with you.

That was the best advice we received once our beloved Bee Wiseman was diagnosed with osteo two years ago this month. Relax and enjoy the time you have. We did just that, and we were at peace when we let her go eight weeks after seeing her limp for the first time. I remember well the anguish you are experiencing, jaym1, but we put that anguish away for the time we had left with her and that brought us peace and acceptance. We enjoyed those eight weeks with her and felt, in looking back, that those weeks were a gift. We packed those eight weeks with adventures, treats, snuggles, photos.

I'm sorry for what you are going through. Osteo is so cruel. We know that all too well in our house. I wish you peace.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm so sorry about Tempo. By the time Treasure was finally diagnosed with osteo, it had spread to her lungs. I let her go the day the was diagnosed because she had trouble breathing, even with an oxygen mask. Keep an eye on him and enjoy him, ok?

Wendy, good luck with Twiggy!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry about Tempo. It's so hard for us to be like them - to live in the moment and not look into the future. Especially when that future doesn't have our beloved dogs in it. But it helps to remember that whatever they're enjoying right now is what's important. Love him. Be with him. Remember to be in the now.

Wendy, I'm also sorry to here about Twiggy. Good luck next week. As you know, Dude LOVED LOVED LOVED his weekly massage therapy!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

jaym1, i too am sorry to read the latest on tempo. and while i was thinking today about how you're dealing with the reality of the situation, my daughter's greyhound "boyfriend" made an appearance at the vet hospital where she works because of yelping. it turned out he had OSA in his shoulder, so he was PTS within a few hours.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

:(

I totally understand what you are saying about another dog. When I knew I'd be losing Fritz, I started thinking about what Ace would need when he finally had to leave us. When that time actually came, I saw a sweet-faced boy online with a group that my friend was adopting a dog from, and thought that I might need to look into adopting him for Ace. But when Ace started having health issues herself, I decided it wasnt a good time, even though I thought of that sweet boy every day.

A few weeks after I lost Ace, I made the decision to pursue adopting that boy and told his group. Later that week I was at an outdoor festival and saw a double rainbow-a sign to me from Ace and Fritz that I was on the right track :heart

That beautiful boy will come home to me in two weeks, and I'm so excited.

All this to say, if Rocko needs a buddy down the road when Tempo has to leave (which will hopefully be a long time yet), please don't feel bad about it. They want their family to be okay too after they leave.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I've been mostly offline for the past couple weeks, and wanted to congratulate so many hounds for doing so well, but I am so sad for this latest update.

One of the reasons I've been offline is that Twiggy has something going on. Thankfully, it does not appear to be osteo, but more likely due to the body-stress of being an amputee for - dare I say it - 2 years today! (Well,. technically, yesterday b/c of the leap year last year). Twiggy no longer wants to go upstairs, I think it must be due to pain in her shoulder/neck/upper spine. She was x-rayed 6 ways to Sunday last week, and they were all negative, so we are cleared to start chiropractic/acupuncture/massage/whatever next week at the integrative clinic. I so hope they can help her get that back.

She isn't too bad, in that she still usually wants to go for her marathon walks after work, but life isn't ideal in my first floor room (not enough room for her to play, and no plumbing for me - not to mention that my 5'10" self is having to sleep on a loveseat!).

Sorry to hear Twiggy has been having musculoskeletal pain. I hope the physical therapy helps.

Did you see the dog stairlift that was posted to the Greyhound Articles Facebook group recently?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606701082696442&set=gm.599838413401856&type=1&theater

p.s. Twiggy's special dinner sounds delicious!

That beautiful boy will come home to me in two weeks, and I'm so excited.

That is exciting! Congratulations! What's his name?

I thought of Pinky the other day when I was reading the book "Animals Make Us Human" by Temple Grandin. She talks about the different ways wolves demonstrate dominance and submission, and how dogs display these behaviors to a greater or lesser degree depending on the breed. Anyways, one of the ways a wolf expresses dominance is by putting its head on another wolf's neck/back. I immediately thought of your video where Pinky rests her head on each of the other dogs, one at a time. Guess she was letting them know who's boss! :)

That is exciting! Congratulations! What's his name?

I thought of Pinky the other day when I was reading the book "Animals Make Us Human" by Temple Grandin. She talks about the different ways wolves demonstrate dominance and submission, and how dogs display these behaviors to a greater or lesser degree depending on the breed. Anyways, one of the ways a wolf expresses dominance is by putting its head on another wolf's neck/back. I immediately thought of your video where Pinky rests her head on each of the other dogs, one at a time. Guess she was letting them know who's boss! :)

:heart

His name is Ozzie :) See my thread in EEG for pics as I'm posting from my phone right now.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest snakes

I personally found the artemisinin from Swanson to work the best and it was a bit cheaper too. I did use nutricology as well which seemed pretty good.

If i remember right Holley pharmaceuticals is generally the recommended brand, it didn't seem to work for FedX but every dog is different.

I hope that helps a little.

I foudn teh yahoo group to be helpfull just for the downloadable files of general info i could get to read.

Guest bozicj

Python spent the whole day yesterday (supervised) without her cone on! AND she didn't try to maul through her t-shirt to get the bandage off. I wish I could trust her to do that all the time but I think I've learned my lesson on that front.

something is not right with tempo today. he has been very slow, and at the park he didnt want to do anything except stay next to me and rest his snout on my lap when i was sitting. he was excited when i got home -- both of them were. but i heard three quiet little yips while they were jumping around. i dont know who it came from, but i think it was tempo. i felt all of this limbs and tried to elicit a response, but i couldnt. i also checked all his paws for cuts or other injuries and found none. this does not bode well at all. i'm going to observe him for the evening. i'm not really sure what to do.

oncologist thinks it may have been severe stomach upset from doxorubicin, so i gave him some cerenia. he did have pretty bad gas, though if he was in digestive turmoil, he wasnt showing it, as his appetite remains at 100%. he has been mostly resting since, and even chewing his rawhide, so perhaps it was a GI issue. i havent heard a yelp since.

Maybe gas pain?

i hope so. he's just been very slow all day. normally he pulls rocko and i when walking to the park. but tonight he was barely keeping up, and he was just taking tiny little hops. he was still interested in smelling everything and peeing on his normal pee spots. but he just seems to be moving very slowly.

nope, not at all. sometimes when he comes in after a long run and drinks too fast he does, but thats normal. also i thought i noticed a bit more sputtering after post-nap stretching, but im probably just being hyper aware. he was much more active this afternoon, running at the dog park and chasing other dogs. while vigorously digging a big hole he did let out a lout yelp, but i couldnt detect any source of pain -- he very well could have scraped a stone or piece of glass with his paw.

the difference now is that there definitely is something gravely wrong with him, and im waiting for symptoms to show up. this is the exact reverse of how things normally work, when symptoms show up, and one fears that something might be gravely wrong. its pretty exhausting, to tell you the truth. but today was a reprieve -- he was his old self when i came home from work.

Edited by jaym1

Guest fastcasper

Casper went in for round 3 of chemo today. They took chest x-rays and everything looked fine. His white blood cell count was just a hair too low the safely give him chemo. He is going back on Friday to see if it's better. The doctor thinks he should be able to get chemo on Friday, that is how borderline he was today. Other than that, he is starting to run in the yard a bit, play with his sister and wants to go on longer walks. His pace is pretty fast!! Hard to keep up sometimes. :)

He also put 2.4 lbs on this week, so he is about 1 lb away from ideal weight. He is looking really good. And his fur is getting softer again!

I hope Tempo has many more good days where he is feeling himself. It is SO stressful when they are not acting normal. You all are in my thoughts.

Tripods do have to move faster to keep their momentum up and save energy. Glad to hear about his weight gain!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

katie got weighed this morning when we were at the vet's to change sadie's toe bandage. she's at an all-time post-amp high of 54#. woo!

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)

a picture of katie going for a ride this evening:

20130826_0002-L.jpg

Looks Katie is enjoying her ride! Glad she has put on some weight.

I wonder how Tempo is doing? I hope he's okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Checking back in after being offline for quite a while!

I am glad to hear that Python is getting to spend some (supervised) cone-free time! Hopefully, by now the open area is really starting to shrink. I was shocked at how large you said the open area started! Poor kiddo!

I hope Tempo's upset was from the doxorubicin and that he is feeling better now. It sounds like he really isn't showing any symptoms from the lung mets yet, so that is good. I hope that continues for a good long while!

Yay for Casper's good x-rays and weight gain! Did he get his round 3 on Friday?

Katie looks beautiful and happy as always. Her attitude reminds me so much of Twiggy - just keeps on enjoying life, no matter what twists & turns come your way!

Kristin, I can't wait until you get to bring Ozzie home!

Twiggy got her first massage/chiro session yesterday. She is also on gabapentin, tramadol, dog gone pain, and will start on Duralactin next week when it arrives. This is in addition to her Cosequin and artemisinin. The only reason I even know she is having pain is because of her not going up stairs any more. She still wants to go on her marathon walk/runs every day, and she tore up the beach again last weekend! She's a girl who just loves to have fun!

Edit: I forgot to mention... When the chiro dvm and the physio therapist did her initial evaluation last week, they both kept saying how amazed they were at how perfect her posture was, especially considering that she is 2-years+ post-amp, almost 9 years old, and a long-bodied greyhound! They said it is very for a front-leg amp like her to stand so straight and centered. Made me so proud of her! :beatheart:inlove:beatheart

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties