Osteo Thread Part V I I

Casper went in yesterday for his CBC work and we talk about a different game plan for his phantom pain. My doc took him off 4 meds and added 2. He is still on his appetite meds (2), Gabapentin, Deramaxx (NSAID), and Diazepam (anti anxiety). Its only been 24 hours but its been the best 24 hour in a week. And he seems to be eating a bit better too. He needs to put weight on. Thank god for Ensure. I mix it with sweet potatoes or pumpkin...he laps it up!!

That's wonderful news! Go Casper!

I wasn't really sure where to put this as I didn't know him well enough to post in Remembrance (I guess I could anyway...but still). I just got an email about the grey (Breeze) that I found for free on CL and transported to his original group. He was pretty weak in the back end and after a few tests, his group learned he had a mass growing on his back leg - Osteo. I wish so much that it had been something they could treat, but his limp was so awful that they didn't have much of a choice and had to let him go peacefully. Poor poor boy :cry1 But I'm happy, at least, that he's no longer in pain...

Mom and I both cried when we got the news. We knew him for less than 3 hours, from the time we picked him up until we left the rescue group's building, but his sweetness in the face of his obvious pain made such an impact.

Sorry to hear about Breeze. I'm sure he appreciated his short time with you and what you did for him.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tempo has developed a red patch on his hind leg, and the fur has fallen off around it. its not raised or bleeding, and it doesnt appear to be bothering him. i palpated it and he didnt seem bothered in the least. it just appeared today. he has been shedding a TON all summer it seems. its possibly that i either brushed him too vigorously last night, or that he scraped himself up against a tree stump or log while running or playing fetch. he is extraordinarily active for an amputee -- even for a normal greyhound -- and there are plenty of obstacles like this at the park we go to. still, since my entire concern for him is and has been metastases, any visual or tactile abnormalities i come across on his body make me really nervous. should i be?

9473269003_043798a94c_c.jpg

I don't think so...I'd just keep an eye on it. Maybe put some bag balm on it?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

On a normal dog I would watch it and see how it goes. With a greyhound undergoing active chemo, who's immune system is already compromised, I would watch it much more conservatively, and take him in if it's not showing signs of healing soon. I would also put some antibiotic spray or ointment on it and keep it pretty clean.

It could also be a pressure sore-like area if he's altered the way he lays due to the amp.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

well, it really just popped up seemingly out of nowhere. i did give him a crazy brushing last night at the dog park. it was dark, and he was shedding gobs of fur, especially in that area, so its entirely possible that this is a result. this would also explain why it seemed to come out of nowhere. like i said, though, im a little more worried than i would normally be. his oncologist doesnt always answer emails over the weekend, so i may have to wait until monday, unless it changes markedly, in which case i might just bring him in.

As Tempo gets further into his iv chemo treatments, he will be more and more susceptible to infection. Twiggy got numerous skin infections during her treatments (fortunately, we were able to control hers with topical treatments). She was going through chemo during winter, so her contact with infectious agents was more limited.

With it being summer and Tempo continuing to be exposed to dogs at dog parks, I would think it is likely he could pick up some skin infections. If it doesn't resolve pretty quickly on its own, I'd get him into the vet. If infection, hopefully it will be able to be treated easily with topicals like all of Twiggy's were.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

katie's bloodwork passed muster with her oncologist, so she got her second dose this afternoon. we'll see how much it affects her appetite/GI tract. we have carafate/flagyl/Cerenia on hand if needed.

boy, she's been bouncy the past few days. :)

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest fastcasper

Way to Go Katie and Python!!!

Casper had CBC and weigh in today. FINALLY he has put some weight back on, still needs more but he is heading in the right direction. 2 lbs this week. I think we have a better handle on his phantom pain too. Boy! is he a happy boy now. Yesturday he barked as I was opening the door. I haven't heard him bark for 6 weeks. That was on my wish list ;)

He is motoring around the yard better and is roaching more this past week than 3 months combined. That phantom pain was really taking a toll on him...

Next Wed. is round 3 for chemo and chest x-rays. Fingers crossed!! :goodluck

this friday is tempo's final chemo. we are now at 5 months post amputation. he will also have his second chest x-ray. there is no worse part of this process then waiting for x-ray results. that's how i first found out he had cancer. the second time, two months after surgery, they were clear, but sitting there in the waiting room awaiting results is completely excruciating. he has been completely healthy, so i'm not anticipating anything showing up, but then again, i wasnt anticipating anything the day before his leg was amputated either.

i still can't decide whether to go with the metronomic chemo or artemisinin. the oncologist recommends only doing one or the other.

9511077807_fd53363969_c.jpg

9511077203_8d5413f6f8_c.jpg

within 24 hours of his first limp, tempo was on the operating table, having his leg amputated. i immediately put him on a low-carb diet, started chemo as soon as possible, followed every protocol, and spared no expense. he has been healthy and vigorous and happy and seemingly filled with life. which is why it was all the more devastating to find out this afternoon that in fewer than five months post-amputation his cancer has already metastasized into his lungs, and that he has weeks, or possibly months to live. tempo just turned six, and has been retired for under two years. i had hoped he'd have a long life and we'd be together for years. even after his diagnosis i hoped he'd be one of the few miracle dogs, or that he'd at least fall within the median survival rate of a year. this is so unfair for him.

Edited by jaym1

Guest fastcasper

I am so sorry to hear about Tempo. I really hope it more like months than weeks with him. It's unfair to any pup that gets this nasty disease. My thoughts are with you. Casper goes in next week for his 3rd treatment and chest x-rays. I am already nervous about the results. You just never know...

within 24 hours of his first limp, tempo was on the operating table, having his leg amputated. i immediately put him on a low-carb diet, started chemo as soon as possible, followed every protocol, and spared no expense. he has been healthy and vigorous and happy and seemingly filled with life. which is why it was all the more devastating to find out this afternoon that in fewer than five months post-amputation his cancer has already metastasized into his lungs, and that he has weeks, or possibly months to live. tempo just turned six, and has been retired for under two years. i had hoped he'd have a long life and we'd be together for years. even after his diagnosis i hoped he'd be one of the few miracle dogs, or that he'd at least fall within the median survival rate of a year. this is so unfair for him.

Oh no! That's terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear this! :(

I'm so, so sorry. I've loved your boy from afar, watching him on U-stream, and I wanted much, much better than this for him.

When we lose a dog, sometimes we're told that our lost loved one is the newest star in the heavens. Perhaps Tempo is a shooting star, flying through your life, fast and bright.

I'm so sorry.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

today was to be his final carboplatin treatment. instead, his oncologist switched him to doxorubicin, in the hopes that it might provide more effective deterrence to oncogenesis. he will now be administered that every three weeks. in addition, i am going to begin artemisinin as soon as i can get some. i dont intend to prolong his life with painkillers until the end. he's too much of a beautiful animal to suffer that indignity. moreover, i dont want to risk forcing him into a hazy stupor that may not even be masking any pain whatsoever -- his humerus was nearly eaten to the breaking point by cancer before he even showed any sign of discomfort back in march, so i would have no way of knowing if pain medication in the dosages that end-of-life osteosarcoma dogs receive was really working. i'd prefer him to have a shorter life during which he is completely alert and happy than a longer one during which he is in a haze.

this is almost too painful to even type.

Edited by jaym1

A lot of pain meds don't make the dog groggy. Gabapentin can make him wobbly on his feet the first day or two, but not groggy. (Gabapentin interferes with pain signals to the brain; originally, it was developed to head off seizures in epilepsy patients.) Methocarbamol (a muscle relaxer) also is good. Sam was on a combination of tramadol (50-100mg, 3xday), gabapentin (900mg/day, given in 100mg capsules as needed), and methocarbamol (500mg 3xday) for years. He was perfectly alert (when he wanted to be--eyeballs tracked backyard squirrels at 100 paces), and when his arthritis was too painful, I could tell because he panted (open-mouthed panting, not the usual tongue-hanging-out-it's-hot-mom panting), even when he was on pain meds. His appetite was still good, his will to go for walks was good (although his back legs weren't up to much); we called it quits the morning after his first bad-panting night (this was just last week--still raw, but I've gone two days without crying). Ask your vet what symptoms you'd see in Tempo. I think it might be breathing issues, more than pain, that determine how long he'll have.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry to hear this news. It's heartbreaking ....

Pinky had lung mets toward the end and those in themselves did not cause her any issues as far as breathing is concerned, so, I hope with the other treatments you'll still have lots of good time with Tempo :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I can't believe Tempo has lung mets - I am so very sorry. I do hope that the doxorubicin will change things up enough to stall the cancer. This is such a terribly erratic and unfair disease. The few hounds I know who got lung mets had several months after finding them, but I know that is of little comfort to you.

I've been mostly offline for the past couple weeks, and wanted to congratulate so many hounds for doing so well, but I am so sad for this latest update.

One of the reasons I've been offline is that Twiggy has something going on. Thankfully, it does not appear to be osteo, but more likely due to the body-stress of being an amputee for - dare I say it - 2 years today! (Well,. technically, yesterday b/c of the leap year last year). Twiggy no longer wants to go upstairs, I think it must be due to pain in her shoulder/neck/upper spine. She was x-rayed 6 ways to Sunday last week, and they were all negative, so we are cleared to start chiropractic/acupuncture/massage/whatever next week at the integrative clinic. I so hope they can help her get that back.

She isn't too bad, in that she still usually wants to go for her marathon walks after work, but life isn't ideal in my first floor room (not enough room for her to play, and no plumbing for me - not to mention that my 5'10" self is having to sleep on a loveseat!).

Twiggy got a special dinner last night to celebrate, consisting of grilled filet mignon, zucchini and yellow squash, scrambled egg, watermelon, and vanilla ice cream with strawberry-rhubarb sauce with Burpdog Biscuit crumbs on top - she also got a few sips of Stella Artois to wash is all down.

Tomorrow I will make her a repeat version or her celebration meal, and give her her new slumberball. We may try to get to the beach, but it is the Chicago Airshow, and we might not be able to find parking.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest FawnFan

Jaym1 - I'm so sorry to hear about the news about Tempo. I really hope you two have many, many more months together. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts.