Osteo Thread Part V I I

Guest fastcasper

Phantom pain starts to occur about one month post amp. That is when the nerves are starting to heal and scar tissue may be healing around the nerve endings. Casper's started exactly one month post amp. He would be sleeping or sitting and all of a sudden shoot out of the room. He would hesitate coming back in. He would get another jolt and look behind himself to see where it came from. It would come and go. He would get 3-5 jolts (he yelped and ran out of the room), and they would occur in the morning, and again after dinner, but that was for him. Probably not all dogs. But the suddenness of getting up and running out of the room is very phantom pain like. Gabapentin works best for that.

kim

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Joey and Chloe my thoughts are with you. The loss is great, but try to focus on the good times. That is the only thing that keeps me going, knowing that I gave my girl the best 4 years of her life.

I am finding comfort in knowing 1. I did everything I could 2. he had a good life with me 3. we were so very lucky to have each other and 4. he knew he was loved. All this is helping me.

These are the things I hold onto when I think of all of my Bridge babies. It does help.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Run whole again Casper.

My wife and I gently said goodbye to our sweet Jesse yesterday in our living room. Very hard, but she was surrounded with love and comfortable with no pain. Thank you all here for your support. You all help ease the pain for so many others.

Chad and Jen.

Chad and Jen, I am SO very sorry your sweet baby girl had to leave you. Thank you for being the best mom and dad and giving her the most loving gift, the one of letting her go when she needed you most. Sending many hugs :grouphug:( :( :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We're getting close to the end of this thread and time to start another one. Can you all please take a look at the info in the first post and let me know if anything needs changing/updating? I'll start the new thread in a day or so.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Add Dr Couto's contact info for consultations, please:

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sorry, my emotions are high, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk with my bold underlined text. I just get tired of being flamed (elsewhere on GT, not in this thread) about using holistic medication in conjunction with western. Mea culpa.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sorry, my emotions are high, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk with my bold underlined text. I just get tired of being flamed (elsewhere on GT, not in this thread) about using holistic medication in conjunction with western. Mea culpa.

:grouphug

I am VERY relieved to hear that Carl's perking up. For what it's worth, I have Aston on a crapload of supplements, at my vet's recommendation (or at least her "okay" given his crapload of Rx meds).

Beaming continued good thoughts!

So many babies gone to the bridge. :cry1 I am so sorry, every one.

There are supplements that have been shown to have some value or at least possible value. There are others that have been shown to be ineffective, and some that have been shown to be damaging. The supplement industry is also largely unregulated; there are well-documented issues of purity and potency across the industry. I'm not sure why a person wouldn't want to know those things when the health and well-being of their dog is at stake.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grey_dreams

There are supplements that have been shown to have some value or at least possible value. There are others that have been shown to be ineffective, and some that have been shown to be damaging. The supplement industry is also largely unregulated; there are well-documented issues of purity and potency across the industry. I'm not sure why a person wouldn't want to know those things when the health and well-being of their dog is at stake.

You seem to assume that anyone who uses anything less than a traditional western/big pharma approach to health and healing is incapable of doing research, and incapable of understanding how to tell the difference between high-quality botanical secondary metabolites and some junk manufactured who-knows-where. We thank you for (again) bestowing your superior knowledge to us who have none. By the way, I have a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, specializing in plant cell biology and chemistry. I have worked in research science for 25 years. I know how things really work on the inside, and how not all scientifically published studies and results are actually what they say they are (oh, yes, bias and blindness does exist, even in western science, even on a mass-scale, and especially in commercialized big pharma). I also choose to use botanical secondary metabolites (aka natural supplements) for myself and my animals, and western pharmaceuticals as needed. Just like others in this thread.

I don't assume that at all. However, when someone uses something that has been shown over and over again to be a scam, nothing but water or a placebo, and/or potentially harmful to the animal, I do assume they are unaware. Why would they use it otherwise?

It is particularly appalling when people recommend those sorts of things to others who may have little access to science- and evidence-based literature and little money to spend on their pets. In those cases, of course I'll speak up, just as I would speak up if someone were trying to train their dog using abusive methods or using kerosene to kill fleas on the pet's body, for example.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest grey_dreams

I don't assume that at all. However, when someone uses something that has been shown over and over again to be a scam, nothing but water or a placebo, and/or potentially harmful to the animal, I do assume they are unaware.

Example? Give an example of a treatment plan that someone in this Osteo thread has discussed that is the harbinger of a death sentence and akin to animal neglect/cruelty that you are talking about. And give the literature references in high-impact journals that prove the treatment plan is " ... a scam, nothing but water or placebo, and/or potentially harmful to the animal."

Otherwise I guess you are just on your box again.

Can this please not turn into an "I know more than you" debate? We're here to support people dealing with osteo.

Some things work for some and not others. Some people swear acupuncture is a hoax, but it really makes a difference for some dogs. Some people swear by artemisinin, even though they havent been able to prove it works in the body, it kills cancer cells in test tubes.

Just agree to disagree and move on. If people take others' advice and don't do their own research and get burned, that is on them. For me, often the advice of people who have actually had a pet go through osteo is good enough. If they tried something to help their hound be more comfortable and it worked, I'll try it.

PS if we are talking about boosting the immune system...a slaw of cruciferous vegetables has been effective for some. Even if not effective at boosting the immune system, vegetables are good for you. No harm, no foul :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I don't recall criticizing anyone's choice of specific supplements or modalities in this thread. I was responding with a general statement to another general statement.

If you want to discuss specific supplements or modalities, I'm always happy to do that with people who are interested in learning and sharing science- and evidence-based knowledge. That would probably be a different thread.

Guest grey_dreams

I don't recall criticizing anyone's choice of specific supplements or modalities in this thread. I was responding with a general statement to another general statement.

If you want to discuss specific supplements or modalities, I'm always happy to do that with people who are interested in learning and sharing science- and evidence-based knowledge. That would probably be a different thread.

:lol Oh, ok. Thank you.

To all who have been so kind through our ordeal with Chloe, I just wanted to let you know we let her go this afternoon. She went peacefully and her "brother" Clifford was with there too and even laid down next to her as she went. My heart is broken and the sadness is overwhelming. But, I take solace in knowing she fought the good fight and went with her dignity intact.

Thanks again for this forum and all the great information (even when controversial).

I'm so sorry :grouphug