Osteo Thread Part V I I

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry, Chad :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Mimosa was doing so well. Her pain was under control, she turned 10 last Sunday.

Then yesterday morning, my other grey, Bam Bam decided he wanted to play, and began to fling a toy around the room. Mimi got involved and began to play, then Mimosa decided to play and tried to spin around. She hurt herself, and has not been the same since. We had to go out of town for the day, and my son said she never laid down. She went from bearing almost full weight on the leg, to only touching her toes to the ground. She didn't sleep last night much, is drinking a lot and was panting. Got ahold of my vet and he said to give her extra Tramadol. She is marginally better today, but restless. She is still eating, but in pain.

I'm afraid the time has come in the next day or so. I am so not ready to let her go. :cry1 I can't imagine her not being here. I know that is selfish, and I am trying to gather the strength. My daughter was crushed when I told her of Mimosa's diagnosis. This is going to be so difficult.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

{{{{{Chad and Jen}}}}}

Godspeed, little one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest OurGreytLife

Dear Mimosasmom,

We are both going through the same thing. I remember reading your post about Mimosa. Mimosa's cancer is in the same leg and location as my Joey's. Mimosa's birthday was last Sunday while Joey's was last Saturday. And like your beloved hound, Joey also wanted to play yesterday and aggravated his leg and is painful. Took him to the ER last night for a morphine injection and today we added Gabepentin. Prior to this he, too, was walking on all four legs and putting weight on his bad leg. Despite all we've done, he's not the same.

I wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Hi all -

I too can join Mimosa and Joey's mom's and dad's as we continue to ride this heartbreaking journey with our sweet Chloe. She started last week not so good and it seemed it might be time, then she rallied most of the week and seemed to be doing better. Last night she didn't sleep well. My wife took her out at 2am, 4am and 6am for potty breaks, some successful other times she just stood there. When morning came, she seemed a little better and has been so most of the day. These days, she puts very little pressure on her bad leg. We also noticed that sometimes when she drinks a lot of water and coughs up some, there is a bit of bloody mucas about the size of a quarter. Does this mean the cancer is now firmly entrenched in her lungs? She is panting a bit more too. But, she is still eating well and will even play with a toy now and then.

All in all, we think we probably need to let her go soon. I mean limping means pain, even if she doesn't ever cry or whimper and the coughing up blood can't be anything good. I wish there was hospice for dogs..... On top of all of this, we are expecting major snowstorm in the mid-Atlantic which means we need to delay any decision for a few days.. We continue to mark the good days and bad days and have always said when the bad one's outweigh the good one's we'll let her go. I'd say it's about even right now. Time will tell.

It helps to know others are out there. Stay strong everyone, our pups know we love them and they trust that we will do right by them.

Chad :grouphug

Thinking of everyone as you make difficult decisions..........................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest OurGreytLife

Yesterday I called my vet and she recommended we start Gabapentin and increase Joey's Tramadol from 2 tabs to 3 every eight hours. Despite all these drugs yesterday, he was no better. When he got off the couch we would hold up his leg and when he walked he toe touched, not the weight bearing he did before. He just couldn't get comfortable last night. I, too, think we will have to make a decision very soon. We will see how he does today and so far this morning he is still painful.

Today I have to go to work and play the actress. I have to put on a smile, answer the phone and greet clients while my heart is breaking. Thankfully my husband will be home with Joey to watch him and medicate him.

I will be thinking of all of you today, too, as we struggle to stay strong and do what we must for the best interest of our beloved hounds.

Guest fastcasper

My heart is breaking for all those going through "when to make the decision". It is very hard to see the pups in pain. I spend the weekend reading and hearing how lucky Casper was and what a great life he had, and I did everything I could for him. I hope everyone now going through this will also have comfort in knowing how lucky their pups are to be with you all.

I miss Casper terribly, and am SO thankful I have Wynnie to take care of and focus on. She seems to be doing ok. Is still looking for Casper but is seemingly upbeat. She is a happy dog. I also want to thank all of you here for the support, advice and condolences of my journey with Casper.

Be strong everyone!

Kim

Edited by fastcasper

Too much sadness in this thread of late...

Chad, I am so very sorry for the loss of your Jesse.

Camille, you know what is right for Mimosa and it's possible if she is no weight bearing on the leg, it may have fractured. I would suggest a vet visit to confirm and am sorry that you have to make this decision.

To Joey's mom, sometimes meds take a bit of time to kick-in. How much Gabapentin did your vet recommend? I know this helped a lot of pups however it was in fairly large dosage.

Chloe's mom, the blood from coughing is concerning and the only way to know whether she has mets is to have x-rays performed on her chest. You vet may be able to advise you without films though. I am sorry you are also going through this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just wanted to pop in and say that even though I haven't been writing much, I've been reading all of your posts, and my heart absolutely breaks for you. So much bad news in such a short amount of time. I am thinking of Mimosa, Joey, and Chloe and their families at this difficult time. Hoping the time you have left with your pups is peaceful. I can't imagine what you are going through. :cry1

Henry had his fourth round of Doxo on Saturday. I'm sorry to say this one was much harder on him than the first three. He hasn't been eating, and over the weekend, he's been on and off panting and whining. I've been giving him all the recommended meds to help with nausea (Reglan, Pepcid, and Cerenia). But I can't be sure how much they're helping, as he's had an especially rough couple of days. The only time he relaxes is when I put him in bed with me, hold him, and stroke his belly. I was ready to put a call in to his oncologist, but he did improve a good bit last night. He ate a decent amount of canned food and slept through the night. He even let the Meezer sleep next to him with little to no protest. We'll see how things go today. The only good news is that we're almost at the finish line. Only one more round to go, then it's off to Sandy Paws to celebrate!

On our way to the vet with Mimosa now. We just picked up Allison from school and our son Nolan is meeting us. It's time.

Keeping Chloe and Joey in our thoughts too

Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

She's gone. RIP baby girl.

Mimosa Grove 2/23/04 - 3/3/13.

We are heartbroken.

Guest fastcasper

I'm so sorry to read about Jesse and Mimosa. Godspeed. It makes me so sad that the rainbow bridge is so busy these days. Hugs to everyone.

Kim

Camille, I am so very sorry. This disease takes so many before it should and it's heartbreaking.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

So very tough here lately. Every loss brings up the pain of all of my losses and I'm aching right alongside all of you. :cry1

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--