Osteo Thread Part V I I

Guest fastcasper

Chad, I think Kristin is right, don't blast her with 300 right away. With Casper I did 300 in the a.m. (I knew the phantom pain bothered him then),100-200 in the afternoon, and then 300 again in the evening (phantom pain kicked up again around 8 Pm.) Maybe tomorrow try 200 in the a.m. and just see how she is doing, then 100 in the afternoon, and 200 again for the evening. But I think keeping her on an 8 hour schedule is better for her. Greyhounds can metabolize Gabapentin faster then other dogs so the medicine may not stay in their system as long. Again, I think it's important to keep a constant level in her. I hope this helps.

Kim

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best pain relief seems to come with combination of gabapentin, tramadol, and an nsaid. Most vets are WAY too conservative in prescribing pain management for dogs with osteo - and in Jesse's case, there's no need to be conservative. I would definitely start out lower just to minimize any ataxia or dizziness, and in case she has breakout pain, but increase it as quickly as she can handle.

:grouphug

Nancy - yes. Dog's can have osteo and exhibit NO symptoms whatsoever. Your xrays should be read by a qualified radiologist, with a follow up to Dr Couto. It "can" be something else - bone infection, Valley Fever - but it's probably not.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Thanks everyone. For now I think she is comfortable, but I am worried since I suspect she has constipation as I haven't seen her have a BM in a few days and she doesn't go outside by herself anymore. I am going to ask the vet for a laxative, or what the dose for something OTC would be.

Jesse has had three x-rays over the last 6 weeks and I am being told the timeline based upon progression from the x-rays. Yesterday was the first day with max dose pain killers and she was still panting in the evening, although I am not sure if it is pain or if she was nervous with me laying next to her and bothering her. We got her a raw femur and she LOVED it. Its been the summer since we had femurs for the pups. Today after work I am going to pick her up some frozen custard from Culverts.

The panting may be from the meds, and not from increased pain. Tramadol makes some dogs very anxious. They may pant, pace, whine, and not be able to settle. Keep in touch with your vet. Wishing you peace!

Guest fastcasper

As if Casper doesn't have enough to deal with 1. progressive tumors in his lungs 2. sprained wrist (still recovering), now we think and is being treated for UTI. He and I got up about every hour last night to go outside. Pee a lot, come back in and replace the pee he just got rid of with nice clean water. Go back to bed and do it all over again in the next hour. He is alert, bright eyes and ate a good breakfast today. He is tired and I didn't get the anti-biotic until this evening. So I got that in him right away. He is not very hungry tonight, though he did pick out things he likes. We've gone almost 2 hours with peeing! Yeah!! I know we have another rough night of interrupted sleep tonight. I'm hoping maybe every 3 hours. He slept well today and was on his back for some of that.

I hope Sadie did well today. Your three legged journey begins. Folks here are extremely helpful with post amp information/suggestions/advice. I hope you tap into them.

Kim and Casper

I hope Sadie's surgery went well. Please update when you can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest cas0673

Sadie came out of surgery ok. She is a very sensitive girl, so she is doing lots of whining and crying at the vets. I am going tomorrow to pick her up. They said when they just touch her she will cry. There was a different vet checking on her earlier today. When he called me he asked if she was a "stoic" grey? I was like NO!!! When we got her almost 5 yrs ago now, she wouldn't even let me put her coat on or let us wipe her off when she came in from the rain. So her crying didn't surprise me. The vet said she was in all the pain killers they have, and he was hoping she wasn't in that much pain. He then thought it was the way she is, which I say too. She wasn't eating for them. I should've gone up this a.m. But I worked today and it is almost an hour drive one way. I feel bad I didn't go. I already had that thought of ....... What did I do to her?? But I read somewhere to remember why you did it......I did it for her and her life.

It will be hard when you see her for the first time. Remember any distress she is in is TEMPORARY and soon she will be feeling better.

Some of them have increased anxiety that is actually CAUSED by the various meds they are on. Someone that went through an amp here in the past year was having trouble and it turned out it was the Fentanyl patch. Some dogs just dont handle those well.

Odds are she will rest much better at home and will start eating. All Pinky wanted was to be out of her kennel at the vet's office, so, they released her 24 hours after she woke up from surgery. The doc had told me "as long as she can walk with a little bit of assistance, I'll let you take her home because she's definitely not happy being here." :lol she was such a fighter :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sadie's Mom, please do not second guess yourself. Amputation is a major surgery and it takes a bit of time to heal. Also the pain meds can also cause anxiety as Kristin stated so it's not surprising she is being vocal. It is very important she has adequate pain meds and you discuss with your vet how much you can increase if the need is there over the next several days as you don't want the pain to spike. It will be a tough week and sometimes it will run into the second week but soon Sadie will heal and be better, pain free which is why you chose this path. I know it's not easy when you see her in this condition but she will surprise you, it just takes a couple weeks.

Good thoughts for Casper, he is fighting too many things right now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest OurGreytLife

Hi everyone. You can add my 9 year old grey, Joey, to the OS club. I am in shock and so heartbroken.

Joey has a partially collapsing trachea and a low grade heart murmur. My vet doesn't think Joey is a good candidate for amputation.

I spent the last several hours going thru the old osteo thread and this one. I just want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all of you here going thru this terrible disease. I am also thrilled for those who are doing so well.

I am so grateful for Greytalk. You folks are a godsend!

I am so sorry to read of Joey's diagnosis. I had seen your other post. We are here if you have any questions whatsoever as there is unfortunately, far too much experience here. Give your boy a hug from me.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have heard that nearly all greyhounds have a "low grade" heart murmur. Its not really a murmur but the fact that their heart is considerably larger than the typical canine it sounds a bit like a murmur to a vet that isn't experienced with greyhounds. Is your vet a greyhound savvy vet?

Sorry to hear about Joey. It does suck.

I fear our Chloe is nearing the end of her journey. She's had been doing ok on pain meds, but last night was a particularly restless night for her. She has started panting more which she had not been doing since diagnosis in early January. She seems to put almost no pressure on her bad leg now. My wife thinks it's time, but I want to hang in there for a bit longer and see if increased meds helps to make her more comfortable. She is still eating ok and we can get her out for potty. I always figured when the bad days outweigh the good days it will be time. Ugh. Just need the courage to let her go if that is the case. Thanks for all the great advice here.

Guest cas0673

Sadie is definitely very sensitive right now. Just to take her needle out of her leg, they had to muzzle her. It was tough to see. But I understand it is the meds and or pain. Her appetite is ZERO! I have a call into the vet for a med for this. I bought some Arby's roast beef sandwiches which her and Marble LovE......and nothing. To give her her pills I have to throw me down her hatch. And she is quick to move the pill before I can even shut her mouth. I used to make peanut butter bread and she would swallow that down. She probably hasn't eaten in quite a while. I tried broth. There really is no use to try anything else as far as food. She is drinking.

Guest fastcasper

I'm sorry to hear Chloe is starting to have difficulties. Have you maxed her out on pain meds yet? Most us of have to make that hard decision about when is it time. You and your wife know your pup the best. My vet suggested that I make of list of all the things Casper likes (that makes him happy). Once you can start omitting things, then it is time to consider his quality of life. Obviously it's a very personal decision and one I will also have to make in the future.

I'm sorry to hear you and Joey have joined the group (it's a great group though). Yes, most greyhounds sound like they have a low grade heart murmur if you are comparing them to a "normal" breed. But often times it's not a murmur for them.

Casper had a rough weekend. I didn't get the antibiotics started until Friday evening. He seemed a bit better on Saturday but on Sunday he seemed to be regressing a little bit. I went out for 3 hours and I came home to a pee spot in the hallway. He has NEVER peed in the house the whole time I have had him. I called the vet and took him in for blood work to see his kidney functions. The results were fine, everything in normal range. We decided to restrict his water to see if that helped. There a big improvement today. Pee looks great! Peeing almost at normal intervals. Yay!! His sprained paw took such a beating these past few days and it looks horrible (really puffy), so now, with him not getting up all the time to go out, I should see some improvement with that in the next day or two. I keep icing it.

Kim and Casper

Has the dr given you anything for nausea for Sadie? And what kind of pain medication is she on? Sometimes a Fentanyl patch works better than oral meds (though some dogs can have bad reactions to them).

Remember, no need to be conservative with Chloe's pain meds.

So sorry to see Joey joining the club here.

Hope Casper feels better soon!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly