Osteo Thread Part V I I

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

Casper roached last night. I woke up to one front leg straight up in the air!! Good to see. He was sun bathing today and did a quick roach.

Guest yat420

Buddy update: He is not doing well, in a lot of pain this week. I'm checking with oncologist to see if another round of radiation is even an option for him. I'm not ready, but then I'll never be ready. This boy is the love of my life! :(f8a8a8ddbb732723db2c3db0e170d5d7.jpg

I'm sorry your boy isn't doing well. Sending lots and lots of hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bozicj

Python update: We'll mark 3 weeks post-amp tomorrow. We've spaced out bandage changes to every 4-5 days instead of daily and if it looks like it's contracted enough the might try to close it by the end of next week. THEN 10 days after that she can finally start her chemo. I'll just be glad when we can be done with the tie-on bandages because then we can ditch the "cone of shame"...

katie's appetite has been off some starting last saturday, but recovered some yesterday. not sure exactly what's happening, although she wants to do more things. she lost about a pound since her last weigh-in last monday but is still above her immediate post-amp weight. has had diarrhea since last night but has been drinking water. i gave her a can of A/D last night and the runs started a few hours later. she's at the vet's now to be looked at because sadie developed a lump above the knuckle on her fourth toe and is being looked at, also.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Buddy update: He is not doing well, in a lot of pain this week. I'm checking with oncologist to see if another round of radiation is even an option for him. I'm not ready, but then I'll never be ready. This boy is the love of my life! :(

So sorry to hear that. He looks a lot like our Duke. How old is he?

Guest yat420

So sorry to hear that. He looks a lot like our Duke. How old is he?

He's 12 years old. We have been so lucky to have him in our lives for the past 11 years. :)

Steve, if she is moving about more than she was right after surgery, I'd totally expect her weight to dip a little bit. She's burning a lot of calories getting around now.

Hope the diarrhea goes away - I seem to recall Pinky's poop being a little squishier than normal about a week after her chemo treatments.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Dude's poops were always bad during chemo, and didn't really clear up until we were done.

So sorry about Buddy.........

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Jchallis87

hugs to you and buddy. what a handsome boy

TNJ voodoo was a very handsom boy himself. yay TNJ's

Edited by Jchallis87

He's 12 years old. We have been so lucky to have him in our lives for the past 11 years. :)

Wow, that's amazing! Do you have any photos of him as a pup? I hope your oncologist has some suggestions.

katie's appetite has been off some starting last saturday, but recovered some yesterday. not sure exactly what's happening, although she wants to do more things. she lost about a pound since her last weigh-in last monday but is still above her immediate post-amp weight. has had diarrhea since last night but has been drinking water. i gave her a can of A/D last night and the runs started a few hours later. she's at the vet's now to be looked at because sadie developed a lump above the knuckle on her fourth toe and is being looked at, also.

Did the vet have any helpful suggestions? Have you tried canned I/D? Lana's also on a probiotic (Prostora), which seems to help. They also gave her a prescription for metronidazole, in case she does get diarrhea. Hope Katie's diarrhea clears up soon!

Python update: We'll mark 3 weeks post-amp tomorrow. We've spaced out bandage changes to every 4-5 days instead of daily and if it looks like it's contracted enough the might try to close it by the end of next week. THEN 10 days after that she can finally start her chemo. I'll just be glad when we can be done with the tie-on bandages because then we can ditch the "cone of shame"...

Poor Python. I bet she'll be glad when she can ditch the "cone of shame", too!

A/D is really rich from what I understand so that could be contributing. I'm a huge fan of Metamucil wafers if you just need to treat symptomatically. Probiotics as well. Hope it clears up soon!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest bozicj

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep an e-collar ON? Even though the cone is attached to her actual collar (which she never slips and is as small as we dare make it) she got her cone off again last night prompting a 10pm emergency vet visit to get her bandage completely redone (since she got it off completely despite still wearing a tshirt.)

Put a harness on your dog.

Thread a long piece of gauze through the tabs on the bottom of the cone.

Put the cone over the dog's head as far down her neck as you can.

Tie the cone to the harness using the gauze strips.

There are also several alternatives to a hard Elizabethan collar:

>a soft, sort of floppy E-collar - It's harder to get off and doesn't get hung up on furniture and stuff. Sort of like a stiff hoodie

>a Bite Not collar which prevents them from turning their head - this product doesn't work if they can get to the wound without turning their head. You can make one of these at home with some cardboard and kitchen towels

>use her kennel muzzle with a stool guard, or duct tape across the bottom holes

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There are also several alternatives to a hard Elizabethan collar:

>a soft, sort of floppy E-collar - It's harder to get off and doesn't get hung up on furniture and stuff. Sort of like a stiff hoodie

>a Bite Not collar which prevents them from turning their head - this product doesn't work if they can get to the wound without turning their head. You can make one of these at home with some cardboard and kitchen towels

>use her kennel muzzle with a stool guard, or duct tape across the bottom holes

Since Python is a front-leg amp, a harness might not work. I'd think I'd try a homemade Bite-Not (with the towel and cardboard), combined with a taped muzzle, in case she breaks out of the collar. Basically, you'll be looking to make her a nearly rigid turtleneck to stop her from getting her mouth down to her bandage.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest yat420

Wow, that's amazing! Do you have any photos of him as a pup? I hope your oncologist has some suggestions.

Here is his pup photo: http://greyhound-data.com/d?d=toad%27s+scooby&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland= He had alabama rot and they were going to euthanize him because of the damage to his left rear foot. We adopted him and nursed him back to health over the course of several months. He's been a happy, bouncy healthy boy since then, until his osteo diagnosis in April. It is so hard to see him like this. We are going in Thursday for another dose of radiation. I hope it can help with the pain. :(

Edited by yat420

katie's on flagyl, carafate, and cerenia now. she got firm right away (i got a small, but firm, stool from her during our lunchtime walk). we've been hand-feeding (and sometimes she eats it on her own) canned I/D starting last night. so that's progress. ate about a cup of boiled chicken this AM.

not surprising that the digestion upset from the chemo can last for 2-3 weeks in varying degrees.

A/D is really rich from what I understand so that could be contributing. I'm a huge fan of Metamucil wafers if you just need to treat symptomatically. Probiotics as well. Hope it clears up soon!

yeah, mostly pork, so it's got a lot of calories (which she needs). so i wouldn't be surprised if that contributed to the diarrhea.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Here is his pup photo: http://greyhound-data.com/d?d=toad%27s+scooby&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland= He had alabama rot and they were going to euthanize him because of the damage to his left rear foot. We adopted him and nursed him back to health over the course of several months. He's been a happy, bouncy healthy boy since then, until his osteo diagnosis in April. It is so hard to see him like this. We are going in Thursday for another dose of radiation. I hope it can help with the pain. :(

What a cutie! I'm surprised how much the color of his coat changed. That's wonderful that you were able to save him when he was just a puppy. I hope the additional dose of radiation helps. Have you tried a bisphosphonate such as pamidronate? I don't know if it would help, but you could ask your oncologist about it.

Anyone have any recommendations for managing a seroma? Lana's incision is basically healed, but she's developed a bit of a seroma underneath one section of the incision. The vet recommended warm compresses, but so far that hasn't seemed to help. Any other ideas?

Also, is exercise good or bad for her seroma? When we take her out she just wants to keep walking and walking. The last few days she's been doing about a mile in the morning and a mile in the evening. Perhaps she's overdoing it?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Wow, Python is one determined girl, isn't she? I agree that the bite-not style collar may be your best bet (maybe coupled with a muzzle w/stool cup).

I think others here have worked through seromas, but to the best of my recollection, it was mostly time (coupled with compresses - maybe hot/cold alternated??) that was key. I'm amazed that Lana is doing so much walking already!!! She is really something!

I'm glad that Katie's stool firmed up so quickly. With Twiggy, she didn't generally have any obvious GI issues, but she would have what I called "chemo poop" it was an odd, rusty color and a strange, sort of gelatinous texture. She didn't have it all the time, but it seemed to come and go cyclically at certain intervals in her chemo cycle. Once the chemo was out of her system (including oral chemo meds), the "chemo poop" never came back.

Twiggy & I got an envelope from my regular vet's office last weekend. It was a pretty, sparkly card with congratulations and well-wishes from the staff, along with a gift certificate to a local pet supply store in honor of Twiggy's impending 2-year anniversary (still 2 weeks and a few days away). I was so touched! Never would I have expected such a thing from them. Twiggy hasn't even had an appointment with them for over a year since she has been seeing her oncologist so frequently. We do stop in often for lovin's and weigh-ins because I live next door. I am so thankful for my vets!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I think others here have worked through seromas, but to the best of my recollection, it was mostly time (coupled with compresses - maybe hot/cold alternated??) that was key. I'm amazed that Lana is doing so much walking already!!! She is really something!

Twiggy & I got an envelope from my regular vet's office last weekend. It was a pretty, sparkly card with congratulations and well-wishes from the staff, along with a gift certificate to a local pet supply store in honor of Twiggy's impending 2-year anniversary (still 2 weeks and a few days away). I was so touched! Never would I have expected such a thing from them. Twiggy hasn't even had an appointment with them for over a year since she has been seeing her oncologist so frequently. We do stop in often for lovin's and weigh-ins because I live next door. I am so thankful for my vets!

Thanks, Wendy! We'll keep up the compresses. Hopefully that and time will do the trick.

That was so nice of your vet! Of course, Twiggy is pretty special! :)