Osteo Thread Part V I I

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't read your other thread for a while---feeling that fragile complacency that he was going to be okay for a long time---and today I saw that it was locked. I can't tell you the overwhelming sadness I felt when I saw that. If ever there was a dog who was exactly where he was meant to be, with the perfect owner, it was Tempo. The compassion and unselfish, unconditional love you showed him, and filled his life with, especially during this difficult, 6 month journey, are truly inspirational. I wish that all dogs could know such love when they need it the most. If love alone could have kept him alive, he would have been with you forever. But that damn monster is such a crapshoot. Sometimes we get lucky, and sometimes everything we do just isn't enough. It just seems so hugely unfair. Having lost a Grey to cancer (lymphoma) at only 6 years old, I can understand your feeling of helplessness. Like you, we tried everything, she fought so bravely, but it wasn't meant to be. Please know that Tempo always felt safe within your love and care, certainly as you faced each obstacle together, and even at the very end.

Thank-you for sharing him with us, and allowing us to accompany you on this journey. I'm so, so sorry you lost your precious boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest bozicj

First, I can't express how sorry I am for the loss of Tempo. Even thinking of the day when I'll have to make that decision with Python makes me start to cry. I cried when I read here about Katie, and again for Tempo. I'm so so sorry.

To add a bit of good news to this terrible week of losses, I got word today that OSU can send a few months of Python's chemo protocol. And she still hasn't been showing any side effects. Instead she's been chasing her sister (4 year old girly Rose) all through the house and yard. It's so wonderful to see her so full of energy. It's hard when people ask how she is, knowing that her days are more numbered than I'd like but only seeing how full of life and joy she seems.

She'll go in for blood tests this week to see how the chemo is effecting her cell counts. Hoping for good news.

I'm glad Python is doing well and enjoying life! That is definitely good news and always welcomed here.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That's great that OSU can send a few months of Python's chemo protocol and that she isn't showing any side effects yet! Go, Python!

Lana is scheduled to have her 4th carboplatin treatment tomorrow. She'll also get a chest x-ray to check her lungs.

Guest fastcasper

Yeah for Python!!!! You go girl!

Fingers crossed that Lana's chest are look good! So happy to hear she is going on her 4th round.

Casper has his 5th and final round this Friday (fingers crossed his white cell count is good). I'm not sure what to expect or what happens after his chemo is done... I feel he has finally hit his stride just only in the past month. He didn't have a recovery from his amp. We have his phantom pain mostly under control now. Giving him meds every 12 hours as opposed to 8 hours (on the dot!). It's terrible to see them go through the phantom pain episodes, you are so helpless and they turn to you to help them... breaks your heart.

I have been very sad since hearing about Katie and Tempo, I know my day will be here with Casper and I just want to cry.

Python, Lana & Casper! :yay

Twiggy is loving the cooler weather, and is running me ragged! I am so not a distance runner, and my achilles tendons and knees are doing their best to remind me of this :lol . I swear she is determined to teach me the joys of running; she's gonna have to live a lot longer to accomplish that!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest fastcasper

Hi All,

I wanted to pass on info for Dr. Couto. I recently emailed him and he replied back.FromSighthoundvet ToKimberley kruse CCGuillermo Couto, DVM, dipl. ACVIM

GREYT to hear about Casper, Kim. We have been using artemisinin (100 mg once a day-we get it from Holley Pharmaceutical on line), but we are not sure if it works (data do not support efficacy…).

After a short hiatus, I am now doing consults/second opinion through Couto Veterinary Consultants (address above in cc). As you can see in the brochure enclosed, a portion of the consultation fee will be donated to Scooby Medina Animal Shelter, in Medina del Campo, Spain on behalf of the dog in question. Please feel free to let other Greyhound folks know. Hugs and hope to see you again soon

Guillermo

Opps! Here is his new email address.

Guillermo Couto, DVM, dipl. ACVIM <Coutovetconsultants@gmail.com>;

He is excited to be consulting and looks forward to being able to help us. I know most of us thinks he is the next best thing since slice bread. I, personally am happy he is going to continue to consult greyhound and sight hound owners.

We had Charlie on it. Did it help? Who knows. We did not have any adverse affects so we gave it a try.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Lana's WBC was too low for her 4th carboplatin treatment today. Looks like we have to change course anyways -- her chest x-rays showed a 5cm x 3.5cm mass in her lungs. The oncologist was surprised at how large it was already. He said there's a chance that it's a granuloma, but it's more likely the osteo has metastasized into her lungs.

He recommended switching Lana to doxorubicin (by IV every 2-3 weeks) or palladia (oral every other day). Any advice?

Seems like a good question to ask Dr Couto in his new practice!

I'm sorry for Lana's xray results. Cancer just sucks.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

i am very sorry to hear about lana.

as chronicled in this thread and others, tempo had a similar turn in the arc of his treatment. his metastases showed up via x-ray at chemo treatment 6, though. we also immediately switched to doxorubicin, and he made it through two treatments before he died. in retrospect, i would not have put him through that. I chose to switch IV chemo drugs because I was determined to give tempo every chance possible. But the different chemo protocol was much harder on his system than carboplatin had been and, because the lung metastases basically led to the end so quickly, those bad days after chemo were much too precious to have spent them on suffering and discomfort when he could have enjoyed them since at the time he was still feeling well. I also understand that there is no usable data that suggests a correlation between IV chemo and longer survival once metastases are present. Likewise for metronomic chemo.

Of course, every dog is different, and you could have much better results. I just wanted to share my opinion and why I chose what I did.

I also gave tempo 400 mg of artemisinin per day, none of which seemed to have any effect.

Edited by jaym1

i am very sorry to hear about lana.

as chronicled in this thread and others, tempo had a similar turn in the arc of his treatment. his metastases showed up via x-ray at chemo treatment 6, though. we also immediately switched to doxorubicin, and he made it through two treatments before he died. in retrospect, i would not have put him through that. I chose to switch IV chemo drugs because I was determined to give tempo every chance possible. But the different chemo protocol was much harder on his system than carboplatin had been and, because the lung metastases basically led to the end so quickly, those bad days after chemo were much too precious to have spent them on suffering and discomfort when he could have enjoyed them since at the time he was still feeling well. I also understand that there is no usable data that suggests a correlation between IV chemo and longer survival once metastases are present. Likewise for metronomic chemo.

Of course, every dog is different, and you could have much better results. I just wanted to share my opinion and why I chose what I did.

I also gave tempo 400 mg of artemisinin per day, none of which seemed to have any effect.

also, i have a bottle of artemisinin 100 mg capsules that's at least 3/4 full. if anyone wants it, let me know.

Thanks, Jay. I appreciate your input. I'll go back and read through your threads again. We are still reeling from yesterday's news. For the most part Lana isn't displaying any ill effects from the lung mass yet. The only exception is she pants quite a bit on walks and needs to take frequent breaks. She doesn't seem to be in pain, though. From that standpoint it might be better not to start doxorubicin and just let her enjoy her remaining time...

The oncologist said a study showed that palladia helped in 40-50% of the cases where osteo had metastasized to the lung, but it was a small study (~20 dogs). Of course, it too might make Lana uncomfortable.

We just ordered a bottle of artemisinin. Maybe Casper can make use of yours?

Thanks again.

Edited by Victor

Guest fastcasper

OMG not Lana too!!! I am SO sorry to hear this turn of events! Please contact Dt. Couto for a second opinion/consult. I think he is charging $120, but I think, worth the money. I am so terrified for Casper that he will also get bad news soon. He goes in tomorrow for round #5.

I would be happy to buy the artemisinin off of someone. I haven't ordered it yet. Dr. Couto said to start giving it to Casper 10-14 days after his last treatment.

I am crying for Lana too.

I am sorry to read about Lana's latest diagnosis. There are options however as already noted, results vary depending on the study. Palladia is an expensive drug as we had Charlie on it while he battled Osteo. He did not show any bad side effects but each pup is different. I look at it this way, if you are of the mindset you will do whatever is necessary to keep your pup around longer without causing them pain or discomfort, both Doxorubicin or Palladia are good options. Can both have side effects? Yes, depending on the pup. Again we did both for Charlie and he was fine with them. Like anything with this disease, you roll the dice and decide what's right for your pup and you. I know a pup that got mets and went on Palladia and lived another 12 months. I also know a pup who left only weeks after the first mets showed with no further treatment. There are no right answers, only what's right for your pup and you will know that.

Again, so very sorry about Lana, I truly truly hate this disease so much.

i just wanted to add that if anyone can use my remaining artemisinin (probably about 70 or so 100 mg capsules) send me a PM with your address and i'll mail them out. i obviously cant use them, but if someone else's dog might benefit, i'd rather put them to good use.

Edited by jaym1

Guest fastcasper

Casper had a rough night last night. Was panting at 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. Gave him some gabapentin and he finally rested. We woke up this morning and he didn't want to get up. When he finally did, he couldn't walk, I had to use a sling to get him outside to pee. He then went right to his bed. I took him early to his chemo appt. so they could examine him. The oncologist noticed slight swelling in this right front paw (hence, he wasn't trying to put weight on it). He thinks it's a soft tissue injury but is going to take x-rays to make sure the cancer didn't spread. Just waiting to hear.....tick....tock. Casper was running around yesterday in the yard and he seemed fine on our "walk"/run last might before bed. :(

Seems like a good question to ask Dr Couto in his new practice!

I'm sorry for Lana's xray results. Cancer just sucks.

Thanks, greysmom.

OMG not Lana too!!! I am SO sorry to hear this turn of events! Please contact Dt. Couto for a second opinion/consult. I think he is charging $120, but I think, worth the money. I am so terrified for Casper that he will also get bad news soon. He goes in tomorrow for round #5.

I am crying for Lana too.

Thanks, fastcasper. I hope Casper's 5th chemo goes well.

I was wondering if Lana had any delays in her chemo treatment? I can't remember if she did.

Lana started her carboplatin on schedule (two weeks after surgery). Her third carboplatin treatment was delayed a week due to very low neutrophils.

Casper had a rough night last night. Was panting at 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. Gave him some gabapentin and he finally rested. We woke up this morning and he didn't want to get up. When he finally did, he couldn't walk, I had to use a sling to get him outside to pee. He then went right to his bed. I took him early to his chemo appt. so they could examine him. The oncologist noticed slight swelling in this right front paw (hence, he wasn't trying to put weight on it). He thinks it's a soft tissue injury but is going to take x-rays to make sure the cancer didn't spread. Just waiting to hear.....tick....tock. Casper was running around yesterday in the yard and he seemed fine on our "walk"/run last might before bed. :(

Poor Casper! I hope it's just a soft tissue injury. Let us know what you find out.

I am sorry to read about Lana's latest diagnosis. There are options however as already noted, results vary depending on the study. Palladia is an expensive drug as we had Charlie on it while he battled Osteo. He did not show any bad side effects but each pup is different. I look at it this way, if you are of the mindset you will do whatever is necessary to keep your pup around longer without causing them pain or discomfort, both Doxorubicin or Palladia are good options. Can both have side effects? Yes, depending on the pup. Again we did both for Charlie and he was fine with them. Like anything with this disease, you roll the dice and decide what's right for your pup and you. I know a pup that got mets and went on Palladia and lived another 12 months. I also know a pup who left only weeks after the first mets showed with no further treatment. There are no right answers, only what's right for your pup and you will know that.

Again, so very sorry about Lana, I truly truly hate this disease so much.

Thanks, Charlies_Dad. We want to keep Lana around as long as possible provided she's not in pain and not suffering. I think we're leaning towards Palladia. I like the fact that it can be stopped at any time if Lana doesn't tolerate it well. It's also encouraging to hear that some pups do so well on it.

This is truly a cruel disease. I pray that someone will find a way to eradicate it some day.

Guest fastcasper

Casper is home. It is a soft tissue injury, a sprained front paw. They took x-rays and got a second opinion to make sure we weren't dealing with cancer. He was there 9 (nine) hours today!! AND he didn't get his chemo. Oncologist wants to give him over the weekend to feel better. He thought the sprain and chemo would be too much and make him feel very lousy. So he is on strict bed rest and Tuesday he goes back. The good news is his CBC was good, white cell count was good and is good to go for chemo.

I think the course you are taking with Lana is a good one. She may be one of those dogs that get good results!!

Casper is home. It is a soft tissue injury, a sprained front paw. They took x-rays and got a second opinion to make sure we weren't dealing with cancer. He was there 9 (nine) hours today!! AND he didn't get his chemo. Oncologist wants to give him over the weekend to feel better. He thought the sprain and chemo would be too much and make him feel very lousy. So he is on strict bed rest and Tuesday he goes back. The good news is his CBC was good, white cell count was good and is good to go for chemo.

I think the course you are taking with Lana is a good one. She may be one of those dogs that get good results!!

That's a relief! Hope Casper feels better soon. Did they prescribe an NSAID to help with the pain and inflammation?

I sure hope it's the right decision for Lana. We have an appointment with the oncologist on Monday. Hopefully her CBC will be good enough for her to start Palladia then.

Guest fastcasper

He is on Gabapentin every 8 hours (I had gotten him to every 12 hours/due to phantom pain), valium (as needed). The doc increased his Deramaxx to 3/4 tab every 24 hours. Cold compresses. That's it. I am being very diligent about "icing" him. He is a good boy and sleeps with the pack on him. He is also being very good (right now) about strict bed rest. He didn't pee for 12 hours!! He is getting around a little better today, but I am still "slinging" him when he goes out, trying to take some weight off that front leg. He is agreeable to this arrangement at the moment.

We will be sending very strong, positive thoughts Lana's way for Monday.

Also, have you considered acupuncture? I have someone who has been treating Casper for phantom pain, but she also treats other stuff (these dogs have so many issues with this disease). She does a point for white blood cells. Can't say if it works or not, but Casper has not had an issue with his. It's been borderline, but he has been delayed with chemo treatment once for 2 days. He would have gotten it yesterday too if not for his injury. His blood work looked good!!