Hello From Cookeville, Tn Usa

Guest belldandyas

Guest belldandyas

I am new to the greyhound scene. My home visit is this weekend (07/28) and has been scheduled since April. Soooo hopefully by Noon I should be the proud mama to a 60-80 lb bouncing baby dog.

I already have a calico cat (female 2yr old) and a West Highland White Terrier (female 9yr old), so hopefully all the furrkids can get along. My adoption group is based out of Nashville, TN and are bringing me cat friendly dogs for options, the only thing they seemed a little concerned about was my white, fluffy dog.

I have read the book "Retired Greyhounds for Dummies", and have rearranged my furniture to be more big, leggy dog friendly.

I've got the crate and fluffy beds and blankies galore. SO I AM READY!! (i think…..)

I'm looking for any advice and suggestions or any tips and tricks some of you more experienced hound owners have to offer.

Do you just "know" when it is the one? I am terrified that I will love all of them and have a hard time choosing, so I'm hoping one of them stands out from the others as the prefect fit.

Aside from me being nervous and excited, I think I’m good to go.

Glad to be joining the group! ( :goodluck hopefully)

Welcome from Delaware. Good luck with your home visit. PS. There are no wrong choices. :)

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hi! Welcome from Nashville. Are you working with GPAN or All About Hounds? We worked with AAH and had a lovely home visit with three beautiful girlies last fall. One was a bit of a spook, which we didn't feel ready for since we hadn't had dogs since we were kids, and of the other two, my husband preferred one and I preferred the other. Admittedly, Sweep was a bit of a diva with the other dogs on the home visit (she'd never been out on one before or to a M&G because her foster always intended to adopt her, but had to back out due to some work changes). Sweep was the one whose photo had prompted me to inquire about adoption in the first place, and she was such a complete attention hog it was hard not to be charmed by it. So I got my way. No regrets at all! Although it's definitely been an adjustment going from a cat-only household to one with a dog, she has been so easy and makes us laugh all the time. My husband even says that he might not have ended up with the dog he initially wanted, but he got the one he needed. :) I think you'll know, and remember, a lot of times, they pick you too! (Sweep walked in, leaned on me pretty much immediately, and when I sat down she laid her head in my lap. :wub: .)

Keep us posted!

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest belldandyas

Thanks for the confidence boost. I am hoping that one of them just steals the show. When I adopted Sophie (my westie) they only brought one dog, but she came in and jumped on the back of the couch and laid her head on my shoulder :beatheart

ramonaghan I am working with GPAN, I have met the AAH group at a couple meet and greets, they seemed awesome too. It was hard picking the organization to use. Like you, there was a dog on there that prompted me to start the process, but she found her forever home immediately afterwards, but I knew there would be one(or more) that would be just as cute when my turn came.

Oh, forgot to say that DaVid did not even look at me. They asked me if I wanted to walk him outside and so off we went. He was about 5 feet in front of me and pulling my arm out of it's socket. I decided I wanted him because he is black and I wanted a challenge. That is an understatement. Lady was on Craigs List and I was only keeping her for a couple of days until I could get her back to her adoption shelter in Jacksonville. Well, I could not give her up and the rest is history. Again, welcome.

Welcome to the forum. It does indeed sound like you'd done your homework. Don't stress too much, you never know, you could get a grey that is sooo easy and all the reading you'd done won't matter, that's how it was with my greyhound Bella :)

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

This is a little late because you are probably having your home visit as I type :flip , but don't worry about the love-at-first-sight thing. Any grey that passes the cat and little dog compatability test is going to be wonderful. Even if it takes a few hours, you'll be head over heels. ;)

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest belldandyas

Welcome Cry Johnson!!!

Home visit went awesome, ended up choosing the little shy boy, My quiet lifestyle should suite him just fine, plus the rewards when he finally comes out of his shell will be priceless.

He was very nervous yesterday, so we kept it quiet, today he is already more relaxed, and trusting, I am now his safe spot in the strange yard, No problems eating or doing his business. He's such a sweet boy.

Glad to be a Greyhound Mama.

100_2417_zpsf6081f7b.jpg?t=1375017794

Aww, yay, and congrats to you both! I wondered if that was you I saw in GPAN's news feed on Facebook yesterday. I had seen him on their website and read about him a bit. He is stunning and seems like such a sweetie. From the looks of things, he's making himself at home already! What are you calling him?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Cry Johnson is adorable! Congratulations to all!!

By the way, do you know about greyhound-data.com? This website will give you tons of info on your new boy...all his relatives, racing history (if he had one), etc.

Anyway, here is the pic of your boy on greyhound-data:

Greyhound_Cry_Johnson_zps43e83239.jpg

And here is a link to his page:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=cry+johnson&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

Apologies if you already knew all of this!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Aww he's very cute! I assume he's doing just fine with the kitty and your westie?

I saw Cookeville, TN in your thread title and was drawn - IDK if you know anything of CrossFit but one of CrossFit's finest athletes, Rich Froning Jr, lives in Cookeville so I got a little star struck for a second :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest RMarie

Aww he's very cute! I assume he's doing just fine with the kitty and your westie?

I saw Cookeville, TN in your thread title and was drawn - IDK if you know anything of CrossFit but one of CrossFit's finest athletes, Rich Froning Jr, lives in Cookeville so I got a little star struck for a second :lol

Hahahaha, I thought the same thing!!!

Guest belldandyas

We are all Greyt!

He was a little afraid of the cat (pretending not to see her . . . as in if I can't see you you can't see me), but they have managed to actually pass in doorways now.

He was very timid to begin with, but every day there is a little something different: the way he holds his ears, actually venturing into the kitchen (briefly), and he actually whined to be out of his crate after eating (I have only been keeping him in it overnight and during meals), this is a big change from wanting to be in it ALL the time the first couple days, I just kept the door closed so it wasn't an option. I'm leaving the door open for the most part, but as soon as he realizes I'm not latching the door/leaving the room he decides to follow me.

He is taking food from my hand now, he wasn't doing that before (Mmm, the power of Cheese)!

He is no longer actively trying to trip me, by wrapping his body around my legs when we are walking, I think he was trying to coax me back to the gate so he can go inside.

Tons of progress in such a short time. This boy is going to be awesome!

Below are some more pictures, I keep forgetting to take a camera when we go outside, will try to do better...

ramoaghan, I'm still calling him Johnson, until I can get a better feel for his personality, little by little, he keeps giving me a glimpse.

Thank you fsugrad, I had seen the info already, but you never know. Johnson didn't have any races, apparently he flunked as a race dog.

Krissn333 & RMarie,

I have never met Rich personally, but had heard that he just won world's fittest man for the third time in a row. He has a studio here in town and lives in the same neighborhood as a friend of mine, she said she sees him running sometimes (she had offers from people willing to pay to come watch, LOL!! apparently it's worth seeing)

IMG_0080_zps8499635a.jpg

IMG_0072_zps8cbfbd38.jpg

IMG_0068_zps5ea5de2c.jpg

Guest Katherineaz

Can I ask, how is he doing with your dog? I have Cavaliers and we are really thinking about adopting but I worry about the little ones. Any issues? Thanks!! P.S. He is soooo handsome!!

Good luck with your new boy. He is very handsome. Loser on the track, winner in your heart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest belldandyas

Katherineaz,

Sophie was my biggest concern as well, especially since she has been timid around larger dogs, since she got clocked by an over excited boxer.

He has done perfectly with Sophie, she gave him kisses when he first came in. She didn't seem too keen on the female that came on the home visit, but she was just fine with both the boys. Johnson still is a little leery of her, but basically they ignore each other. I have seen no differences in her behavior, she does go up and investigate him sometimes, but she still respects his space, the same with him, he will try to go around her and has never tried to go over her, although this morning she did cross underneath him, he didn't even bat an eye.

I had a really good organization that I think did their best to find a grey that would fit my lifestyle, even taking into consideration the color of my dog (she's white, and apparently the lures they use for training are white). I believe most of the placement agencies work hard to make sure the dogs are a good fit, I know personally, I wouldn't have adopted straight from the track (having no greyhound experience, and other small lives that are dependent on me for protection). I would ask plenty of questions and go the the meet and greats, that is one thing, everyone I spoke to as I was getting ready was more than glad to talk about their hounds.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest Katherineaz

Katherineaz,

Sophie was my biggest concern as well, especially since she has been timid around larger dogs, since she got clocked by an over excited boxer.

He has done perfectly with Sophie, she gave him kisses when he first came in. She didn't seem too keen on the female that came on the home visit, but she was just fine with both the boys. Johnson still is a little leery of her, but basically they ignore each other. I have seen no differences in her behavior, she does go up and investigate him sometimes, but she still respects his space, the same with him, he will try to go around her and has never tried to go over her, although this morning she did cross underneath him, he didn't even bat an eye.

I had a really good organization that I think did their best to find a grey that would fit my lifestyle, even taking into consideration the color of my dog (she's white, and apparently the lures they use for training are white). I believe most of the placement agencies work hard to make sure the dogs are a good fit, I know personally, I wouldn't have adopted straight from the track (having no greyhound experience, and other small lives that are dependent on me for protection). I would ask plenty of questions and go the the meet and greats, that is one thing, everyone I spoke to as I was getting ready was more than glad to talk about their hounds.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you so much! Everyone here has been so wonderful!!

Yep, Rich just won the CrossFit Games for the third time. Truly AMAZING athlete and seems like a heck of a nice guy. So now you need to walk Johnson around and run into Rich, and get your picture taken with him and your pups ;) RIch has a black lab named Gilligan :)

Many many years ago someone here on GT was able to have their pup get their pic taken with Ty from Extreme Home Makeover :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--