Sunning And Bare Bellies

Guest javakaty

Guest javakaty

Our new girl is loving hanging out in the backyard sunning herself...but her poor belly is as bare as can be. Any recommendations to make sure she doesn't get burnt, but is still able to enjoy the sunshine?

Luckily she is black, so she gets too warm in the sun before she's in it for too long, and moves into the shade, but still hoping for some recommendations!

Thanks!

(pardon my awful backyard...we're working on it ;-) )

sun_zpsaa9938a4.jpg

Awh, she's working on her tan! I think the same of Ryder when he sunbathes (worried about too much sun), but to be honest I don't consider putting anything on him.

I figure when he's hot enough, he'll visit the shade ;) I do however tend to hose him down if I feel he's been out too long.

Please provide her with plenty of water though, and a shady spot to go to when she's done sunbathing.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Breeze has a bare belly too and loves to lay in the sun! I started using a spray baby sunscreen on her - SPF50 - I think Coppertone makes it and it comes in a pink spray container. She looks at me funny now when I spray it on, but since we had a scare with a small skin cancer that had to be removed, it is worth the effort now.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Baby sunscreen can work, I hear. You just have to watch them after you apply it so that they don't lick at it while it's still wet. Dane's belly is pretty bare too, though honestly it's too hot right now to stay outside more than ten minutes anyway ahaha.

Epi-Pet sells a doggie sunscreen.

Yes, Epi-Pet is the only FDA approved safe sunscreen for dogs. http://www.epi-pet.com/sunprotectorsunscreenspray.aspx

Thank you for thinking to ask about this subject early in your hound's adoption. As mentioned by greysmom, we do see sun induced cancer in Greyhounds. (One of my hounds, adopted at a later age, has sun induced cancer.)