Fast Eaters?

Guest javakaty

Guest javakaty

Our new girl chows down her food so quickly, yesterday evening she threw up everything she ate before even finishing her meal. Any recommendations on how to get her to slow down? We're on the same food she was on at the kennel, and doesn't seem to have any other problems with it. We're feeding her twice a day - once in the morning and once in the evening.

We have put a chain in Ryder's food to slow him up, about a foot long and put it ON TOP of the food. You can get the plastic coated ones at any hardware store like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

http://www.playcraftsystems.com/images/planning/colors/SwingChain.jpg

Something metal though so it's heavy, not plastic.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've heard of people spreading kibble out on a cookie sheet, which slows down the dog. I have a friend who has used a large ball or a tuna-size can (anything like that) placed in the feeding bowl so the dog has to eat around the obstacle, thus slowing him down. Also, adding a lot of water slows down a gulping dog.

Guest OPointyDog

Did she then eat the food that she threw up? Mika does that.... Sometimes I think he likes it that way because then he gets to eat twice!

Our adoption group suggested putting the food into a muffin tin and it sure does slow them down!

Guest javakaty

Did she then eat the food that she threw up? Mika does that.... Sometimes I think he likes it that way because then he gets to eat twice!

Our adoption group suggested putting the food into a muffin tin and it sure does slow them down!

Thanks everyone! She started to eat the food she threw up, but I was standing right there and stopped her and cleaned it up. I let her eat the rest of the food in her bowl, and then replaced the food she threw up about a third of a cup at a time throughout the evening.

I got a SkidStop bowl for Sammy. I alternate it with the Interactive feeder. They have made a difference in the speedy eating. I'm considering adding a maze feeder. Sammy seems to do better if I rotate things. He also uses a Kong wobbler and biscuit ball and a JW Holee ball for treats. The only dud was the squirrel dude...even with cutting the tabs, the food gets stuck.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kahjul

Same concept, but I use pool cue balls. I like using the balls rather than the bowls designed for slow feeding, so I can use the tall bowl holders. The pool balls are nice because they don't get dirty (and are dishwasher safe if they do). My lab has 3 balls in her bowl, my 1 grey eater has 2. My other grey isn't an eater, but sometimes I put peanut butter on a ball and let her roll it around a bowl.

Guest Giselle

Use her food for training. That way, she's always practicing good behaviors, and she can only eat a few kibble at a time. It's a win-win, and I swear it only takes 10-15 minutes out of your day. Plus, you'll have an amazingly well trained, well behaved dog!

(Animals, especially dogs, are naturally hardwired to work for their food: http://www.progressdog.com/1/post/2013/07/will-work-for-food-the-contra-freeloading-phenomenon.html)

Guest LunaTheGreyt

When I got Luna 2 1/2 months ago, she basically inhaled her food, too. She has slowed down considerably since then. I think it just took her some time to realize she didn't have to rush to eat! She also gets a scoop of canned pumpkin mixed in with some water on her kibble.

Guest driser

our boy does that! we've tried every slow-down bowl on the market to no avail. even used a bundt cake pan. a cooke sheet worked for a while, but now he inhales in rows as if it were drugs. we dampen his kibble just a tad so it's slicker, but inevitably what he chokes on he "throws up" and he eats right back up. and we let him...he's on expensive kibble ;)