What Helps With Dry Skin?

Guest BiniShew

Guest BiniShew

Our new pup, Coal, has very dry skin...especially on his legs where the fur has fallen out and on his belly. Is there anything I can use on his skin or a supplement that will help him out? Thanks in advance!

Sometimes just all you need is time on your hand once they get I to a home environment. EFAs are a good supplement but, start slow-they tend to loosen stools if you don't ease intoo them. I best thing I found, however, is topical treatments--aka bathing and conditioning. If you bath your hound please only use shampoo for dogs as it has the proper ph.

I've had better results with coconut oil than fish oil. And I have recently become a huge fan of Fresh Factors. My two girls have never been so soft and shiny. I saw a difference within 3 weeks. Last weekend I had them at a meet and greet and everyone commented on how soft and shiny Princess was. Carly was also soft and shiny, but she's antisocial and was hiding, so no one got to feel her luxuriously soft coat. :rolleyes:

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/fresh-factors/dogs?r=G-Dfresh_factors&gclid=CIXFya_TxrgCFVCY4AodaiYAwA.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Fish oil, but just being in a home may cause him to improve. What color is he? The dark hounds are stunning, but they show the flaky skin a lot more while you're sorting things out.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest BiniShew

He is a black beauty, but you are right, you can see every little flake! He has these patches on both legs that look like peeling dry skin.... I'll have to look into some of these things! Thanks for the advice guys!

Haha, "Bee Wiseman"...I love that name. Thanks for the advice!

We loved that name, too. She was one in a million. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Waterdog66

A dollop of peanut butter or Guacamole a couple of times per week.

A teaspoon of oil once per week also seems to help. (Choose your favorite)

A dollop of peanut butter or Guacamole a couple of times per week.

A teaspoon of oil once per week also seems to help. (Choose your favorite)

Really peanut butter? Why?