Guest Rhea

Hi, I am a brand new owner of a retired racer! I found him through Greyhound Pets of Arizona (the local chapter of Greyhound Pets of America in my neighborhood).

He's a very mellow sweetie, and overall very well behaved. (He completely took our huge family gathering in stride on Sunday, and there were at least... 15 people in the house.)

My family has had pets in the past, usually black lab mixes, but they both had greyhound in them. The more time I spend with Dane, the more I can see how much greyhound those two had in them.

I knew I wanted a companion... an animal... to help me with my depression and anxiety, to provide unconditional love, uncomplicated by human hang-ups. I also knew that I needed a pretty mellow, low-energy dog, but one that was also affectionate. I knew greyhounds are a low-energy breed, and I also knew that many groups across the country adopt out racers... so I asked my parents for permission to get an animal (and after articulating my needs, they agreed.)

I've done quite a bit of reading, but I also know that in the past, we were kinda lazy dog owners. At least I certainly was, although some of that was due to depression and having low energy, etc. So I really want to do right by this dog, my dog. I'm also footing the costs of care, acquisition, and everything myself. So he is my dog.

I'm feeling hopeful that Dane is just what I need, he's adjusting pretty well so far. We go on two walks a day, once in the morning, once at night. (It's so frickin' hot here during the day.)

I also feel a bit like a nervous nellie, anxious to know that I'm doing the right thing with him.

We're still getting to know each other a bit, but I think he's feeling more comfortable. I've moved him over from free-feeding (what his foster was doing) to twice a day.

His racing name was Gable Gambler Go, and he seems to have had his career locally in Tuscon. Four years old, not a stellar career, but no major injuries or collisions, other than some scars on his body. (Who knows what they were from, puppy-hood, being bumped, getting caught on a kennel door?)

They have him listed as "Red" but he could be a fawn too? I really don't know, I know they get their colors registered at three months or something like that. He has a tiny pink spot on his nose that I just adore and can't get over <3

66c16f1f-32fb-42bd-9ad0-ced7023b0c8b_zps

4142949a-64af-4ac6-83c8-86f18dee5de1_zps

He would probably do this all day if I'd let him. He likes to lay in the grassy part of the yard too.

e3b2b718-2cd5-478a-aecd-348b133c9a3a_zps

Dane on the car-ride home last Tuesday.

He looks like he's settling in nicely...welcome!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Congratulations!

He's settling in very well. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest ShanYu

Welcome! He shares a granddaddy (Gable Dodge) with my Nike and is related to many others here on GT. Nike is also a red fawn and looks a lot like your boy who is gorgeous! Enjoy!

Congratulations, he is beautiful and looks like he settling in just fine!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

:wave Greets to Dane and human! Welcome to GT! He's a beauty and it sounds like everything is going very well indeed. Just let us know if you need anything. :D

:wave Greetings to Dane and human! Welcome to GT! He's a beauty and it sounds like everything is going very well indeed. Just let us know if you need anything. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome! He shares a granddaddy (Gable Dodge) with my Nike and is related to many others here on GT. Nike is also a red fawn and looks a lot like your boy who is gorgeous! Enjoy!

I bet! Doesn't he have over 10,000 offspring registered!? :eek (I mean, I realize it's different for sires, and there's frozen sperm banks and such, but still! That is a LOT)

Guest Scouts_mom

Welcome Dane! You will love retirement. Tell your person that Red greyhounds will lighten to fawn as they grow older.

PS. I also got my first grey as an emotional support animal. Now I am much better, but will not be without a greyhound in my home.

Congratulations! Dane looks great! (Be aware that his name may contribute to some people's confusion between greyhounds and Great Danes! ;) )

Most scars on greyhounds are from puppyhood....

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Congratulations! Dane looks great! (Be aware that his name may contribute to some people's confusion between greyhounds and Great Danes! ;) )

Most scars on greyhounds are from puppyhood....

Haha I know, I thought about naming him "Hamlet" but I'm pretty sure I'd be too embarrassed to actually use it in public. (I wanted to go with Diogenes but that's a bit long. I suppose it could have been "Dodge" for short lolol.) Dane is also the name of a hero of Ferelden in the Dragon Age series, and Fereldans are all about their dogs :beatheart

Guest Wasserbuffel

Dane is also the name of a hero of Ferelden in the Dragon Age series, and Fereldans are all about their dogs :beatheart

You could have named him Mabari!

Greetings from Florida!! :welcome2

Dane is a very handsome boy. Have fun with him!!

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome from Chandler, AZ! My girls are both GPA dogs well and raced in Tucson. Dane is beautiful! I look forward to seeing lots of pics of him.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)