Guest LunaTheGreyt

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Update! I'm happy to report that Luna has made about an 90% improvement since my first post.

1. She has been on a higher dose of Clomipramine for about 10 days (50mg 2x/day). No ill effects.
  2. I've started leaving her out of the crate with the run of the kitchen and living room, wearing her muzzle. Have not left her for more than 3 hours yet, so I still don't know if she'll "hold it" for 8 hours. When I'm home during the day, she'll go for 10 hours without peeing (even when offered a break) so I'm hopeful that she won't go in the house.
  3. I purchased this (citronella spray bark collar). I know there are mixed feelings about bark collars, but this is the most humane one I've ever seen. (I have a family member who uses electric shock bark collars on their dogs and this citronella one is nothing like one of those.) The first time I used it with Luna, she barked once, got a spray of citronella, and went to lie down on her bed. During that session she barked twice more, but just single barks. Previously she had been barking without stopping for long periods of time. Since that first time, she has barked maybe one more time. I am continuing the Clomipramine and alone training, but this collar was really a lifesaver in terms of greatly reducing the chance of getting neighbor complaints.
  4. In addition to stopping barking/howling, she hasn't even been crying lately!
  5. The only thing I've noticed now is that when I return, she is panting/drooling a bit. I'm not sure whether it is anxiety-related or due to being muzzled, though. Anyone notice drooling when you muzzle your pup? She has panted/drooled in the past, but I was attributing it then to her barking the whole time I was gone. If they are the last remaining symptoms of S.A., I am honestly pretty pleased.

I actually went out on a date this afternoon and didn't worry once the entire time I was gone! I'm still using the camera app to watch her, but lately I don't feel like I have to tune into it every 2 seconds. It's a relief!

Edited by LunaTheGreyt

Guest debster

Woohoo! Sounds like you're definitely getting somewhere! :)

If mine starts developing SA (just got him 2 weeks ago) then I think I'll be using this thread for reference.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Woohoo! Sounds like you're definitely getting somewhere! :)

If mine starts developing SA (just got him 2 weeks ago) then I think I'll be using this thread for reference.

I hope he doesn't (many greys don't)! But if he does, this forum has been extremely supportive. Of all things, time, patience, and a willingness to try EVERYTHING have helped us immensely. :)

Guest OPointyDog

Glad to hear you are making progress!! We also have been using the Gentle Spray citronella collar on our barker, and it's a miracle worker so far. He was barking endlessly at night and is much improved now. He seems to understand that when he's wearing the collar, he's not supposed to bark, but when we take it off, he can bark if he wants to. We make sure he has plenty of time during playtime when he can bark all he wants. I tend to think of it as a tool to help him understand what behaviors are unacceptable. I wish we didn't have to use it, but it has made our lives bearable again. So please don't feel like you're alone in this.

Hope things continue to improve.

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Glad to hear you are making progress!! We also have been using the Gentle Spray citronella collar on our barker, and it's a miracle worker so far. He was barking endlessly at night and is much improved now. He seems to understand that when he's wearing the collar, he's not supposed to bark, but when we take it off, he can bark if he wants to. We make sure he has plenty of time during playtime when he can bark all he wants. I tend to think of it as a tool to help him understand what behaviors are unacceptable. I wish we didn't have to use it, but it has made our lives bearable again. So please don't feel like you're alone in this.

Hope things continue to improve.

That's exactly how I see it. Luna never barks in any other circumstance, so she only wears the collar when I leave. I'm hoping to eventually remove the collar and meds from the equation! But all in good time. :) I want to give her plenty of time to learn what's acceptable behavior (and to feel calm and secure in my home)!