How To Collect Urine Sample

Guest Zizi

Hi everyone, yes this may be a crazy question, but it is something I have never had to do. Do I need to get a special container from our vet? Do you just use your own container? How do I approach her when she is peeing? I have a feeling if I approach her that closely she will move.

Need help with this one.

I use an old prescription bottle for the sample (washed first of course). To catch the urine, I use a ladle, I bought one at the dollar store and it is only used for urine catches :bgeorge you can also use an aluminum pie plate and just slide it under her when she squats.

Good Luck!

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Guest sireltonsmom

If you stick anything under her (I use a plastic container that held food) when she commits, it should be easy. Even boys are easy once they commit. Good luck. Hope nothing much is wrong with her.

:gh_runner:ghplaybow

You are better off getting a sterile container from the vet. Even if you do not need a sterile specimen, you really want a container that has never been used. For example, soap residue could distort results.

You can usually put the container under her/him when they go - try to catch a mid-stream specimen. Note, try a few trial runs first.

A friend of mine uses one of those small fishing nest for aquariums lined with a new plastic sandwich bag then transfers it to a sterile container.

Very easy to slide it under bitch or dog without bending down so far as to distract them

We have to do this all the time for Bullitt, granted he's a male and it's a bit easier (other than getting splashed a bit) but we just took an old mop handle and taped a container to it. It's quite easy that way. You could just stand there and act like nothings going on that way.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I use my own container, washed with ordinary soap, rinsed several times, air dried. Then usually leash-walk the dog with leash firmly in one hand and open container in the other. Dog squats or lifts leg, I wait a second, then insert container under dog. You want midstream (after the flow has started). I usually use a small butter or yogurt container. Works fine even with dog who squats very low, and never had a problem with contamination (you'd have to be using some unusual soap for that to be much of an issue for ordinary urinalysis).

ETA: DO refrigerate your sample if it'll be more than an hour to arrival at the vet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest OPointyDog

We've successfully used the pie pan method with our female - just wait for her to squat and slide the pie pan under from behind. Depending on the analysis, they may want the first pee of the day which tends to be more concentrated - you should ask. :)

I use the smallest Gladware container, slide it in under there once she has started, then just put the lid on.

The vet has asked that I leave it in the fridge for him to pick up. He even washed the container once. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I don't keep it.

I use dollar store containers and a dollar store ladle. I always decorate the lids with hearts and flowers with a perm. marker, and sign the container "With love from" whichever dog has supplied the sample. I figure whoever has the job of checking dog pee that day could use a chuckle.

cool whip container used here. i'll never forget the time my vet asked me if i wanted it back :rofl

:spoot:lol

To add to the excellent suggestions up above, I'd just add that it's worth teaching them the 'go pee' command. We always do, and it makes collecting urine samples that little bit easier.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest elliemae421

Anything from the dollar store or what you do not want to use again. I have used saucers,bowls,pie pans for my girl Ellie.

For boys about 2 weeks ago I cut a water bottle in half and Willie peed right in it! :ohno

Guest Celestrina

I use dollar store containers and a dollar store ladle. I always decorate the lids with hearts and flowers with a perm. marker, and sign the container "With love from" whichever dog has supplied the sample. I figure whoever has the job of checking dog pee that day could use a chuckle.

One thing I learned in microbiology was ALWAYS mark the container and NEVER the lid. Lids can be switched, which the teacher would do if they were marked.

One thing I learned in microbiology was ALWAYS mark the container and NEVER the lid. Lids can be switched, which the teacher would do if they were marked.

Great idea thanks for passing it along.

I always decorate the lids with hearts and flowers with a perm. marker, and sign the container "With love from" whichever dog has supplied the sample. I figure whoever has the job of checking dog pee that day could use a chuckle.

:lol

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I use the smallest Gladware container, slide it in under there once she has started, then just put the lid on.

The vet has asked that I leave it in the fridge for him to pick up. He even washed the container once. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I don't keep it.

Is she a low squatter? Jerzi sure is. I guess we will do a couple practice runs and see how we do.

Guest elliemae421

Very good idea! Thanks that is helpful!

That is awesome! I have to get a sample to my vet this week! I am going to do just that! LOL! :bounce8

Yes, she is but I can be super speedy when I need to be to get the bowl under there and she just adjusts her height!

Oh she's a good girl, I think Jerzi will move totally away. When we first got her and she had pudding poo I tried the paper plate thing and she would move the minute I put the plate under her!

Guest elliemae421

well I will be collecting from Willie tomorrow. His every 2 week CBC with profile and UA to get faxed to Ohio State from my vets office! :omg

It's easy with Carl, I just use a clean catch container and stick it under his stream when we go walking. Fortunately, I've not had to collect Doodles, she never goes on walls and likes to do her business in "private". With Sheila, my very told me to use a rectangular glass baking pan and slip it under her when she went down into a squat to pee, it worked like a dream.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014