Chewing?

Guest javakaty

Guest javakaty

We just adopted our first greyhound yesterday, and she is adjusting very well...

A few questions that have come up -

- she seems to be a heavy chewer (she downed this nlyabone roast beef flavor bone in about 10 minutes) - what do you recommend as chew treats/toys? rawhides?

- she generally only seems interested in squeaky toys...broke the squeaker in her favorite toy within 20 hours of being home, and broke the squeaker in the outside squeak toy within 20 minutes of us giving it to her. Any recommendations on high quality squeaky toys that the squeaker lasts??

Does this sound like she is actually a heavy chewer and we should be cautious giving her marrow bones?

Thanks!!

Summer's not a chewer so I can't comment on the bones and chews available nowadays. But my previous non-grey was a heck of a chewer and, toy-wise, I found the best thing was a Kong Wubba. Congratulations, BTW!

Kong Wubba

ETA: If she likes balls, a hockey ball is pretty tough. We also use the whistling ball with our medium-size Chuck It.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Bullysticks are a good thing...less chance of choking vs. rawhide. If your pup is a very aggressive chewer you might want to stay away from hard, weight bearing bones (marrow, knuckle). If you are comfortable with it, you could offer things like turkey necks, pork hocks, etc. from the grocery store. A lot of dogs also like the deer antlers and they do tend to last longer. A stuffed kong might work as well. :) In my experience, the chewing subsides a bit once they are in a home for awhile and get regular chewing opportunities.

Himalayan dog chews. They're not cheap, but they lasted quite a while here—three or four hour-long chewing sessions for my moderate chewer. The pros for me are that it has limited, all-natural ingredients (yak and cow milk, salt, and lime juice), it smells fine (like smoked cheese), and when it gets too small for safety, you can microwave the nub for 15-30 secs and it puffs up into a crunchy treat your dog will love. No gastrointestinal issues or choking issues here (I always supervise with everything other than a stuffed kong).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest AngelPup

Brady is a heavy chewer and seems to like the Nylabone Dura Chew souper. He has the bacon flavored one. I got him a twin pack of the regular Nylabones when I first adopted him, but they didn't last very long. He has a sensitive stomach, so I'm hesitant to give him anything edible to chew.

Guest javakaty

Brady is a heavy chewer and seems to like the Nylabone Dura Chew souper. He has the bacon flavored one. I got him a twin pack of the regular Nylabones when I first adopted him, but they didn't last very long. He has a sensitive stomach, so I'm hesitant to give him anything edible to chew.

Are you concerned about him ingesting any of the nylon/synthetic materials? I think Nylabones may be a good fit for Nica, but am not sure.

Guest oldgreymom

Himalayan dog chews. They're not cheap, but they lasted quite a while here—three or four hour-long chewing sessions for my moderate chewer. The pros for me are that it has limited, all-natural ingredients (yak and cow milk, salt, and lime juice), it smells fine (like smoked cheese), and when it gets too small for safety, you can microwave the nub for 15-30 secs and it puffs up into a crunchy treat your dog will love. No gastrointestinal issues or choking issues here (I always supervise with everything other than a stuffed kong).

I was really wondering about these dog chews. What size do you get for your greyhound? My boy is on the big side...85 pounds.

I was really wondering about these dog chews. What size do you get for your greyhound? My boy is on the big side...85 pounds.

I'd say large for your boy. That's what we have gotten for Sweep, though she probably would also be fine with a medium since she's only 60 lbs.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest AngelPup

Are you concerned about him ingesting any of the nylon/synthetic materials? I think Nylabones may be a good fit for Nica, but am not sure.

Not as long as they are very small. They would just pass right through him. That is one of the reasons I had to get rid of the other Nylabones. He was chewing so hard on them that there were larger pieces ready to be chewed off. I just keep an eye on it and if it looks like a large portion is ready to be snapped off, I'd take it away. He's had it for a while now and the only thing I've noticed is that the ends have small bite marks that are a bit shaved and protruding. But it's supposed to do that and it also helps to clean his teeth and massage his gums, so that's a good thing. With Brady, the Nylabone Durachews seem to do the trick. I'm going to pick up another one (different flavor/shape) so I can keep alternating them so he doesn't get bored and I can also stick it in the dishwasher to be sterilized.

I did also buy him a sterilized beef bone that you can stuff, but it's VERY hard and heavy. The only time he seems to be interested in it is when it's stuffed. I've only given him that one once because I was nervous he would crack a tooth. I'd rather give him a stuffed Kong.

Guest Lochshumans

Deer antlers, my non-grey is a super heavy chewer and she was never able to get through the antler. Both my grey and non-grey love their dura nylabones too, the ones made for heavy chewers....it's great for their teeth too, as we know many greys have awful teeth...including my Loch!

Guest oldgreymom

I'd say large for your boy. That's what we have gotten for Sweep, though she probably would also be fine with a medium since she's only 60 lbs.

Thank you. I am going to pick one up this week and see how he likes it. He is a very patient chewer, so hoping to get some mileage out of one of these!