Venus! Goddess Of Love - New Member

Guest Venus

Guest Venus

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are new pack leaders to Venus. Venus is a 3-year brindle who we

adopted through a greyhound rescue shelter.

Yesterday was our 2nd week anniversary and as we go into our third week together I

really appreciate this forum and all the feedback and suggestions everyone contributes.

I was really not sleeping the first week :shakefinger

... I wanted to make sure I was doing

everything right..... now going into week 3, my husband & I are getting

more sleep and are just focused on learning Venus' signals..... less about being perfect

or whatever.

We've had and still continue to have pee pee questions (why is she only going once a day ?)

but are a little more calm about it. One quick question I have for folks is

do you think it's ok to have 2 crates for her? Venus has her crate in the bedroom but this means

she's totally not with us for most of the time we're at home. So I'm thinking if she feels safe in the crate

can she have a bedroom crate and a "daytime" crate in another room? Am I being over protective?

I just want her to be socialized and not hanging out by herself.

Any thoughts are super appreciated!

Welcome. Love your girl's name. I'd be concerned about peeing only once a day too. Has she been checked by the vet?

Crates: You'll get a lot of responses from people who will ask why Venus is being crated. I'm one of them. Some dogs need and really want a crate but a lot of us put the crate away in just a few days after adoption. My girl *hated* her crate, and since there was no reason to use it, I put it away on day 3 post-adoption. Have you considered not using a crate but having a couple of comfy beds around the house for her? If you want or need the crate, have you considered closing the bedroom crate door so she can't go into it when you're downstairs? Finally, if you want to have a second crate, go for it. You can have as many as you want! If's your home and your dog. :)

Edited by Feisty49

If she is shy and needs the security of a crate then sure go for it. Most dogs after a very short time don't need a crate although I have to tell you I had one girl who slept in her crate for almost a year with the door open. She just liked her crate.....then she discovered she liked furniture better.

Glad to hear that you are beginning to relax.

Have fun, enjoy her and listen to what she can tell you about what she likes and doesn't like.

Oh, congratulations and welcome to Greytalk!

We tried to adopt a hound named Aphrodite. I wonder if they are related. I just checked and they aren't. I would be worried about the peeing only once a day. I think a vet visit is in order. Our hounds all hated the crate and would have never gone in on their own. However, if your hound loves it then go for it.

Guest Doggone

If Venus prefers crates, I can't see the problem of providing as many as you want throughout your house :).

I was told beforehand that Autumn wasn't a "crate" kind of dog, so I made sure I had beds for her around my townhome before she arrived. In my small, one-story, 2-bedroom place there are three, and except for nighttime when she's in her bed next to mine, she's just as likely to be lying down on the cool stone floors as on any of her beds! :D

(It'll be interesting to see if that changes when (if?) cool weather arrives.........)

Edited by Doggone

Guest PiagetsMom

You hear all the time how long pups can wait until they do their business. I know you can't make them go, but I would think that on a daily basis she should be going more than once. I don't know if you're leash walking her, or if she's using a back yard. I know that with my pups I had better luck getting them to do their business on a short walk than in a yard that was new to them. Maybe others here will have some advice or ideas for you on that.

Venus is a very pretty girl :beatheart I hope she continues to settle in well. Congratulations! :)

Congratulations! Venus is beautiful!

One of my girls absolutely LOVED her crate and would sleep there at night and nap there during the day. My other girl loved to sleep in her crate during the day but was not fond of sleeping in her crate at night. Dogs, like people, are individuals with different preferences. Watch her and she will tell you what she is most comfortable doing.

Welcome home Venus!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest saucyalysoon

Welcome! Breeze sleeps in her crate and uses it regularly. She goes in there voluntarily. I'd say its a personal decision that has to be made by the dog and you. There's no one right way to do it. :)

Guest Venus

Thank you all for the great welcome!

Venus did a second pee pee in one day today --- all is good in the world---

Hope to learn more abut your greyhound adventures!

Guest ShanYu

When we first adopted Nike he would only pee if I turned my back. If he thought I was watching he refused to do anything. You might try making a big show of not watching her pee to encourage her to go more often.

Venus is beautiful! (As she should be, with a name like Venus :lol)

Congratulations and welcome!! :confetti:welcome2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome to you and the lovely Venus!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown