Zuri's A+ Report Card From His Ortho (Ls & Toe)

I just got back from taking Zuri to his ortho for his LS recheck and to discuss whether we want to amputate the dislocating toe.

First of all, I am so thrilled with what he had to say about Zuri's LS! He thought Zuri looked great, his muscle mass along his spine had improved dramatically from when we first went in for this issue, his hindquarter muscles were developed and even (the same size) when he measured him (he said this is pretty uncommon so especially good to hear), and most importantly, when he did the test to push on his back end Zuri barely flinched. :yay When we went for our initial visit, he sunk nearly into a sit pretty much immediately when the vet applied pressure there.

So basically, he told us to just keep doing what we're doing**. He didn't feel that we need to add any medications and actually suggested that I take him off of the Robaxin and start giving it "as needed" and gave me some specific ways to guage when that was.

As for the toe, I have permission to let him rip in terms of running at the dog park, on hikes, etc. except I am to wrap his foot beforehand (DUH!). Hopefully the wrap will prevent the toe from popping out again, in which case we're all set. If it pops out despite being wrapped, then we will likely remove it. He said we would probably remove the entire toe, but he will leave the pad there to provide some protection.

So basically, I couldn't be happier with the visit. I honestly thought went in thinking we'd be putting Zuri on more medication, but he felt like the slight LS symptoms we still see (namely hesitating sometimes to jump up or go up stairs) and his slightly tucked behind when he stands are more protective rather than signs that his pain is not managed. So yay. :colgate

**For those of you who don't know Z's history and are dealing with a dog with LS, what we did was physical therapy first to address muscle spasms he was having in his groin and spine using cold laser therapy, massage, and home exercises and then when he was doing better we switched to underwater treadmill sessions. We gradually built up the amount of time and speed in the treadmill for those visits and then when he was doing better, we started to extend the amount of time in between sessions. Finally, we stopped doing those in the spring when the weather warmed enough for us to resume longer hillier hikes and off leash time on hikes and in the dog park. We used Robaxin on and off throughout to deal with the muscle spasms he had from overcompensation.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That's a fabulous report! I've never heard of one actually getting better. We should all bookmark this in the event we ever have to deal with LS. Great news about the toe as well! :clap :clap

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

That's a fabulous report! I've never heard of one actually getting better. We should all bookmark this in the event we ever have to deal with LS. Great news about the toe as well! :clap :clap

Thank you! I have to tell you that my vet's advice goes against everything I had heard, or mostly read prior. Everything I read indicates you should not exercise the dog that much, but that's completely contrary to what makes sense and what our experience has reinforced, which is that if the dog doesn't get exercise, they lose muscle, particularly core muscle strength, putting added stress on the back end.

So while I recognize that we were lucky to diagnose Z's LS and implement these efforts early, I do hope some will read this and take something from it that will help their dogs. The main thing to keep in mind, flat walking doesn't do anything for building core strength. It needs to be hilly walking or hiking, running, walking in water (we do river walks a lot where I put on my water shoes and we hike IN the water) or anything that gets those back legs fully engaged.

Z now has carte blanche on what activities he can do. The only restrictions are anything that would risk a serious fall or impact, but he is even free to run race track circles with the girls. :clap:)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That is FANTASTIC! Congrats to you and to Zuri!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

That's wonderful!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's fabulous! How old is Zuri?

He just turned 9.

Thanks everyone!

That's excellent news all around!

I have been working with Carrie, just trying to get her out and moving more. We don't have many hilly areas, but, my driveway has a decent incline, so for now we go up and down that.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

That's excellent news all around!

I have been working with Carrie, just trying to get her out and moving more. We don't have many hilly areas, but, my driveway has a decent incline, so for now we go up and down that.

That's perfect. We don't either unless we drive somewhere, but there are 2 hills, one short and one long nearby where we did the same thing. I'm sure people thought we were nuts walking in circles on the short one.

I can also share the PT exercises we were given to do at home if anyone wants them and will actually do them.

I can also share the PT exercises we were given to do at home if anyone wants them and will actually do them.

We'd love to know them! All we have is a (really good) video from the rehab vet instructing in doggie massage that we got before Shane developed LS to go with his other mechanical problems.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

That is great!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

We'd love to know them! All we have is a (really good) video from the rehab vet instructing in doggie massage that we got before Shane developed LS to go with his other mechanical problems.

I would love to know about them, too! We live in a hilly neighborhood so Badger gets lots of up-and-down. It would be great to be able to do more for him though.

Edited by Kestrel

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

I'm glad you've got such a good report on Zuri.

Until you know the patterns of pressure from his nails, you might want to check your boy's wrapped foot often to see if you need to add any padding between toes to prevent pressure sores.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I would love to know about them, too! We live in a hilly neighborhood so Badger gets lots of up-and-down. It would be great to be able to do more for him though.

Me too! I don't have hills near me, only at the park, which we can't go to in this heat.... :(

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Jen I too would love to know the exercises.

I was doing some stretching and simple ROM things with Ace, so I have done some of those with Carrie but I'd be happy to know more things I can do with her.

I am working on getting her comfortable turning to the right...her right rear was affected by the stroke so when she turns around, she only turns to the left (I joke that she's a NASCAR driver :P). So far we haven't been terribly successful but we also haven't worked a ton since its been so hot and there's more room outside.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I'm glad you've got such a good report on Zuri.

Until you know the patterns of pressure from his nails, you might want to check your boy's wrapped foot often to see if you need to add any padding between toes to prevent pressure sores.

Thanks. We've had to keep his foot wrapped a good bit over the time I've had him, mostly for the dislocating toe, but also for wounds. The worst one was probably last year at exactly this time as I was still wrapping the foot when we went to Grapehounds when he impaled himself on something on a hike and ended up with a giant deep pencil width hole in the skin in between two of his toes. I did try padding in between the toes at first, but it would just fall out. He had no issues though.

Well since people seem interested, I am going to try to dig up the descriptions of the PT exercises and scan and post them as files because I'm realizing that me trying to explain how to do them is going to be a big fail. :P I probably won't get to it until after Grapehounds so I'll start a new thread when I find them.

that's great!!! :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Well since people seem interested, I am going to try to dig up the descriptions of the PT exercises and scan and post them as files because I'm realizing that me trying to explain how to do them is going to be a big fail. :P I probably won't get to it until after Grapehounds so I'll start a new thread when I find them.

Thanks, much appreciated!

I'll keep my eyes peeled :)