Garlic And Avacado, Safe Or Not?

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

Garlic and avocado are on the list of things NOT to feed our dogs, yet I have read several articles recommending garlic supplement as a natural flea repellant and some dog foods contain avocado. Anyone have any insight on this? I'm most interested in the garlic as a natural flea remedy. Thx.

Garlic doesn't do anything for fleas -- big myth. In tiny quantities to add a little flavor, it's safe. In large quantities, it's potentially harmful. Avocado flesh is safe; you don't want to give leaves or seeds.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Agreed...in small doses I don't think garlic is harmful. I wouldn't incorporate as a big part of the diet though, as (I believe) it contains the same chemical which makes onions bad, only in a lower dose. Fleas may dislike the smell of garlic, but it certainly isn't going to work as a flea treatment so I wouldn't feed it on the basis of that.

I don't intentionally feed garlic, but I don't panic if they get a bite of something with it either. Avocado is safe only if you want insane begging every time you attempt to eat one thereafter.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest brit1

Garlic and avocado are on the list of things NOT to feed our dogs, yet I have read several articles recommending garlic supplement as a natural flea repellant and some dog foods contain avocado. Anyone have any insight on this? I'm most interested in the garlic as a natural flea remedy. Thx.

Been giving my dogs a small amount of crushed raw garlic (like a small/med clove for a 50lb dog) every few days during the summer for over 10 years to repel fleas and for their health. They always share my avocado several times a week, the only part that is not safe is the skin or the pit. brit

Guest Waterdog66

Audrey gets a bit of guacamole from time to time and she loves it. (Definitely a high value treat)

My recipe does not have onions but it does have a bit of minced garlic and dash of lemon juice.