Actr1Um Holistic Large Breed Dog Food...thoughts?

Guest DogNewbie

Guest DogNewbie

Hello everyone!

My partner and I recently adopted our first grey, Wiley :beatheart on July 5th. We are feeding him Acana Grasslands (as suggested by the adoption agency) and some ProPlan Shredded Chicken formula (he was on his at the foster home and he came with 1 free bag). We want to ween him off the ProPlan (I have been doing research and the http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com site rates this food as a 1 star). So we wanted to stick with the Acana Grasslands and maybe add in some Actr1um Holistic Large Breed food as well. The adoption agency said it was decent but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it. Please let me know what you think of this food! Every thing seems decent but I have never had a dog let alone a grey so I want to be sure!

Thanks!

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/actr1um-holistic-large-breed-adult-dog-7-kg/10179162?trail=SRCH%3Aactr1um&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=10006&searchString=actr1um&moduleName=S0011&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Aactr1um

Features:

INGREDIENTS: Chicken meal, brown rice, oatmeal, rice, potato, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), chicken, chicken cartilage (natural source of glucosamine), whole dried egg, flaxseed, salmon meal, salmon oil (a natural source of DHA), beet pulp, pea fibre, calcium carbonate, kelp, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, sodium chloride, kelp, chicory root extract, cranberries, alfalfa, spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries, pears, bananas, vitamin and minerals (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin K, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried rosemary, cinnamon, turmeric, capsicum, chamomile, dandelion, paprika, garlic.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (Min) 22%

Crude Fat (Min) 11%

Crude Fibre (Max) 5%

Moisture (Max) 10%

Ash (Max) 10%

Omega 6 (Min) 2.2%

Omega 3 (Min) 0.5%

Hmmm, I've never heard of it. I just wanted to say that I don't put a lot of merit into the ratings of DogFoodAnalysis or DogFoodAdvisor anymore. Their reviews seem really biased. I'd just go with whatever works the best for your dog, regardless of how many stars it gets.

Guest DogNewbie

Ok great! I just want something that he likes; he doesn't seem picky which is nice because my BF is the pickiest person ever! The food also has to agree with his system too. His poops have been pretty soft so far so I don't know if it is the stress or the food or both.

I agonized to find the right food for my boys, especially with Henry because he was my first dog, and I wanted to do everything right. Over two years, I tried five different foods that had good ratings on DogFoodAdvisor. Two gave him diarrhea, one triggered a legitimate food allergy (itchy paws and bum with lots of licking and scratching), one got recalled twice, and the other he refused to eat. After becoming totally frustrated and overwhelmed, I bit the bullet and bought a bag of Iams green bag at Wal-Mart. Instant change. Firm poops for the first time ever. Nice, shiny coat. Energy level great. It took ME a long time to get over the fact that I was feeding him "grocery store food." And I'm sure Iams is one of the lowest rated foods there is. But it worked for my dog, and I'll never go back. I'm not necessarily saying to go out and buy a bag of Iams, because not every food works well for every dog. But don't let something as arbitrary as website ratings prevent you from finding the one that works. :)

Congratulations on adopting Wiley and welcome to GT.

You will read lots of different opinions here on foods. No one is right, no one is wrong. What's ultimately right, is whatever works well for the hound.

Lots of people here use ProPlan with great results. Lots of people also use the IAMs Green Bag which also has a low rating on many sites. A food can have a great rating on those web sites and still be crap to your dog.

If the hound isn't having a problem on the Pro Plan, I wouldn't mess with it based on a rating. Nothing wrong with trying what the group suggested, but if it doesn't work out, don't be afraid to return to Pro plan if it was agreeing with Wiley.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Do you want to mix in another food with the Acana to keep costs down? If so, another good cheaper food IMO is the PC Nutrition First line. I know you would think it wouldn't be that great, but the ingredients are actually quite good for a "grocery store" food. Here is the ingredient list for the chicken and rice formula (they also have others). They have a grain free as well.

Chicken meal, chicken, brown rice, oatmeal, dehulled barley, chicken fat, natural chicken flavour, tomatoes, whole dried egg, herring meal, flaxseed, salmon oil, brewer’s yeast, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples + vitamins and minerals.

You can get it at any grocery store that sells PC products usually. About half the cost of Acana. You may also want to try some other Acana formulas, my guys do beautifully on some, really runny on others.

Guest DogNewbie

Thanks everyone! I will maybe try the Iams green bag or the PC one. Which Iams "Green bag"? Is it the Iams Pro Active Health Adult Large Breed? There seems to be several formulas of Iams green bag.

Have any of you guys tried the Actr1um brand available at Walmart by chance?

Edited by DogNewbie

Yep, Proactive Health Adult. Whether you get the large breed or the mini chunks is a personal preference. I like the large breed formula because I can get it at Sam's Club (around $35 for a 46 pound bag). The pieces are larger, which forces my guys to chew a little more. Then, other people like the mini chunks. There is a slight difference between the two in terms of protein and fiber analysis, but it's pretty negligible.

Guest chardae

Hi DogNewbie,

My greyhounds poops are fantastic on Iams Proactive, and they are very healthy otherwise, as well!.....if you are concerned about wheat, corn, soy, etc., Iams Prime Naturals is a great choice, too; I believe Walmart carrys it. More $$$, but also great poops.....LOL :)

Guest DogNewbie

Ok great! Thanks so much! I will have to look into the Iams brand a little bit more. There are just sooo many options for dog food out there and each brand says they are the best quality food! I find it all very confusing and I don't know where to start :s