Vaccinate For Kennel Cough?

oye, what a delimma. . we had a haul come in a couple of years ago w/ kc, either they had it or something was picked up when they were all neutered at the same vet. it spread like wild fire to all the dogs in the families who fostered them. some of the dogs even developed pneumonia. not saying that yours will, but it can happen and it does spread like wild fire. i personally stay away from it. i do remember quite a few years ago a similar incident in the urban nyc area that started at a shelter- the dogs were adopted and the metropolitian area had it like the plague. it was on the news and a co-worker of dh had one of the carriers who went from kc to pnueumonia.

i had to board my welsh terrier as he aged and couldn't travel anymore. he sometimes had the innouculation, sometimes it was overdue and the receptionist didn't list my request for a booster on the paper work(annoyed to say the least). he NEVER picked up anything and was boarded at the vet(best place for a dog that needs monitoring in my opinion). it's a gamble and i'm sure your as perplexed as when you first posted.

Guest greytkidsmom

Okay, so basically are guys are saying that choosing to do the shot, rather than the nasal is a reasonable (better than doing nothing) choice? I am more comfortable with the shot since it's a dead vaccine personally. Whether it's rational or not, I would rather not expose Skye to a live vaccine days before she goes into a home where she will be exposed to the actual bacteria. I also have personal experience via friends where they did experience their dogs getting sick from the live vaccine, which adds to me hesitating.

Here's the other big question though - vaccinating her doesn't mean she can't be a carrier to bring it back here, right? I mean, obviously if she actually contracts it and starts coughing, she'll be more contagious, but it doesn't guarantee she won't bring it back even if I do vaccinate, yes?

Kebo got the shot this year (his nose hasn't been "normal" since the "facelift"). He always got the nasal before. No problems with either.