Sorella, T P G I T 4/19/00-7/16/13

FiveRoooooers

Our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

She was the last of the Old Guard. She was Segugio’s littermate. She was feisty. And adorable. And a homebody through-and-through. For almost nine years she was my daughter dog. But Sorella (Worldtradecenter) was simply The Prettiest Girl In Town.

1SorellaThePrettiestGirlInTown_zps0c9c90

Sorella retired at 4.7 after a good career at Raynham, Bridgeport, and Plainfield. I received an email asking "What is Segugio's track name?" City Policeman. "Ah, I have his sister, she just retired." And so, for the next two hours I wrestled with myself about bringing home a third dog. When I emailed back that I would indeed love to have this girl, I was told "Someone else is interested in her, you're off the hook." NOoooo, I don't want to be off the hook! She is already named! Sorella, "sister". And the arrangements were made :beatheart

The longest day of her life had to have been the day I picked her up at the vet after her extreme make-over. Still a bit groggy, her cat test was when the office cat walked between her legs. At home, she made fast friends with Molly.

2SorellawithkittehMolly_zps7e09b7b2.jpg

We drove 90 minutes to Eileen’s for a 35 minute walk with her dogs, then 30 minutes to home, where she met Pal and was reunited with her brother for the first time since they had gone on their separate career paths.

3ASegugioandSorellaChristmas2007_zps2f35

3BSorellaNew1_zpsd737daa1.jpg

3CTPGITandherbrotherx3_zpsd71deba5.jpg

Love was in the air :inlove She had to learn stairs that first night, and from then until she passed, she did stairs just the way she had learned them: left front up, right front on same step, hind feet next. Even when she was in a hurry she maintained that pattern :lol it was adorable and heart-warming to watch. When it was finally bedtime, she climbed in with Pal and Segugio and gave a huge sigh. I’ve never seen a dog so tired, so relaxed, and so comfortable. She knew she was home. I had contacted the siblings’ racing owner when Segugio arrived, and now again when Sorella retired. He was delighted to learn that littermates had been reunited: “Enclosed are some schooling results for Worldtradecenter and also $ - please buy them each a nice treat, they deserve it.” :heart She must have been a real firecracker at the kennel and been lechtered most of the time as she arrived with tiny little muzzle whiskers. I was soo happy for her when her whiskers grew back :heart

And so, there were three.

44-20-2006-16_zpsb4a5fdb5.jpg

5HolidayHounds2008_zps43b3adf7.jpg

(No, she was KNOT happy about having to GO somewhere for this photo shoot :lol )

Oh, there was a learning curve. There is the time I refer to as “The Day My Girl Dog Lost Her Mind, aka Hurricane Sorella.”

6hurricanesorella_zpsd35fc33c.jpg

Or when Pal looked at her apparently the wrong way and received a “Shiner by Sorella.”

7ShinerBySorella_zpsff18a938.jpg

Other than that, TPGIT settled in nicely and made it known from the start that she intended to take her retirement seriously.

7AGoAwaySorella_zpse2f6382a.jpg

She was going to stay home and no one could convince her that a car ride to any destination would be worth it. She remained a homebody forever and was content to be our Resident Skwirrel Yeller-Atter and Nurse Dog, cleaning the ears of those who needed it. She had the most expressive hands. She lived a simple life. Her favorite things (after her brother) were staying in the pool (indoor or out) so long that she became Sorella Bella Prunella;

8PoolSmile7-16-13_zpseb9b5005.jpg

a stuffin’ bone; grazing;

9DSCN4382_zpsc08dc9ba.jpg

and especially her purple pillow.

10DSCN1818_zpse5ba9745.jpg

11DSCN1567_zpsde8a38e0.jpg

12SorellaTryToRelax_zps669c12c2.jpg

She was not fond of other women in her house. She wasn’t a flirt at all, but she preferred boy dogs to girls. So when LadyBug joined us, I remember clear as anything the day they met and Sorella literally rolling her eyes. But we were a grand five-pack, I don’t remember a time we have ever been so happy.

13FANFIVE_zpse64021d5.jpg

She took tremendous comfort from Seamus after the loss of her brother. I worried about how confused she might be but Seamus steadied her.

14SorellaSeamiecomfort3_zpse1ed43b2.jpg

(The “Gifts of Seamus” is another story I must write.)

We won’t know for sure what Sorella was struggling with because getting her to clinic for films was not an option; at this point, a car ride could have heightened her laryngeal paralysis and that could have taken her. After having dodged it for so long, we suspect that that ugly OS finally found its way to our camp. I kept her comfortable for as long as I could, until I could see that the pain was too much. The campers and I love our vet, who came to the house last night to help Sorella on her journey … to be pain-free and reunited with her beloved brother. Being a homebody, she had her bag ready and took with her the most favorite of her lifes’ joys: a stuffin’ bone, her Grammy’s Jammies, grass seed, her skwirrel, and, that purple pillow.

Rest well baby girl, my sweet Sorella, The Prettiest Girl in Town. Momma loves you so :heart We really have had A Wonderful Life.

15RestWell_zpscd9c51db.jpg

There is a new bright star in the Heavens tonight, the prettiest star in the sky. :beatheart

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiagetsMom

I hope Sorella passed peacefully. I will look for her star tonight.....and yes, Godspeed to your baby girl. :grouphug to you, Jan.

I am so sorry - run free sweet Sorella.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest grey_dreams

I'm so sorry. I haven't been able to come into Rememberance for a while (still grieving Zuki), but when I saw TPGIT Sorella's name, I had to come and say how sorry I am. Godspeed, precious jewel.

I'm so sorry Jan.

Godspeed Sorella.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh, Jan, I'm so sorry. You posted such great pictures the other day and she looked so well in them. Oh, run free, sweet Sorella. You have many friends waiting to greet you at the other end of the Bridge tonight.

Jan: :bighug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

I just came in from finding Sorella's star. It was indeed the brightest. Run free, TPGIT Send your mom a sign - check in with the Duchess. She can be quite inventive.

Jan, I'm so sorry.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, precious.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Run In Peace across the Rainbow Bridge, sweet girl! You will be missed.............................................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry, Jan. Hugs to you.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry, Jan. Keeping you and the boys in our thoughts, and we'll be watching for the prettiest star in the sky.

Run-free sweet Sorella, TPGIT. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

So very sorry for your loss.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg