Peeing In The House!

Guest DogNewbie

Guest DogNewbie

Hello Everyone!

My partner and I recently adopted our greyhound Wiley, on July 5. We absolutely love him! Anyways, the adoption agency said he was pretty good in his foster home with regards to house training. He has peed in the house 3 times now and once in his crate. We are trying to have a routine schedule and stick to it, in order to assist the potty training process. Some times he makes it to the next break time, some times he doesn't. I don't know if it would be a bladder infection or something. He is currently on antibiotics for a few bites on his ear from before we got him.

Wiley's Schedule:

5:ooam- Walk & Toilet Break

7:15am- Breakfast (1 cup Acana Regional Grasslands & 3/4 cup Actr1um Holistic Large Breed)

9:30am- Toilet Break

12:30pm- Toilet Break

4:30pm- Toilet Break

6:oopm- Supper (same as breakfast)

7:30pm- Walk, Toilet Break

9:45pm- Toilet Break

1o:3opm- Bed!

I don't know if anyone has any suggestions. If we need a better schedule or different feed. Thanks everyone! All suggestions are appreciated :)

If he's not making it to the next potty time, he needs to go out earlier :) .

Are the toilet breaks quick walks, or turnouts in your fenced yard?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest DragonflyDM

Dogs pee for various reasons. Greyhounds are used to not peeing in their kennel. So I would suggest looking into the following:

1. You are not giving the best positive reinforcement for peeing outside so that he knows that is a good place to pee and the house is an inappropriate place

2. The dog may not feel comfortable yet. He may be peeing out of stress, out of fear, lack of confidence, desire to get your attention. There are myriad reasons.

3. There is something health related. I hate the constant UTI outcry…. but check into that, into other health issues.

4. The dog is evil-- are there three sixes in his ear tattoo?

Remember that greys work with positive reinforcement and training only. If you yell or get them thinking you are going to punish them--- they could develop behavioral illness and act out in a very opposite way than you want.

It looks as though he is getting plenty of pee breaks to me....any dog having a problem with that could have a possible bladder infection IMO. Also, dogs can pee (especially in their crate) due to separation anxiety. Does the peeing happen when you aren't home?

Guest DogNewbie

Thanks for the info guys! HAHA no the numbers in his ear aren't 666. He is a really sweetie! We think he may be stressed too. He has changed since arriving with us on the 5th but he is still nervous. If you get up to fast or open the fridge/dishwasher door to fast he does jump up or run away. We try to make a huge deal of when he goes outside. Telling him how amazing he is and giving lots of pats. I hope it is just stress!

We recently moved house. Brandi peed in the house five times. We know that it's stress related as she can hold it for 10 hours. We haven't made a big deal of it, but just stayed in our routine, cleaned up and it has got better. But it is frustrating!

Guest DogNewbie

It looks as though he is getting plenty of pee breaks to me....any dog having a problem with that could have a possible bladder infection IMO. Also, dogs can pee (especially in their crate) due to separation anxiety. Does the peeing happen when you aren't home?

He peed in his crate the one time when I was out. He was in his crate and by himself for an hour when he had the accident. The 2nd day we had him I did some alone training- he was in his crate and I was on the front steps reading for about 45 minutes. I didn't hear any crying or barking. He most he has been alone for is about 3 hours at a time.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Is a pee band a belly band thing?

Belly bands are more for marking. Not a good idea if the dog is simply not housetrained. A belly band that sits saturated WILL cause a UTI.

Go back to Housetraining 101. Take him out frequently, and reward profusely anytime he goes outside. If he's not crated, watch him like a hawk. Unfortunately, it becomes harder to housetrain once the dog has already had accidents in the house. A dog who has had a lot of accidents will be exponentially harder to train. The best thing you can do at this point is to prevent anymore accidents from happening (even if that means tethering him to your waist and taking him outside 10 times a day). Never punish unless you catch him in the act.

Guest DragonflyDM

A belly band won’t stop a dog from peeing if he really has to go. This dog doesn’t seem to be peeing because he is not house trained but because the dog is stressed. IF they have had a belly band before they will be less inclined to pee from stress. It is not a panacea but a training aid.

I agree with the house training 101, but I am not convinced it is a house training issue as much as something else behavior related.

Just my theory.

And doing some research it IS possible that antibiotics and other meds may make the dog pee more often (new to me. I did know that antibiotics will often give dogs diarrhea).

Always always always take him out immediately before you leave or start an alone training session, and make sure he pees a couple of times to get good and empty. Poop, too, if he hasn't for awhile. Now start over with the alone training and see how he does.

Wouldn't use a belly band / pee band. Have housetrained a lot of dogs, including puppies and males who were not neutered. Have never needed one. They don't teach anything.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Belly bands are more for marking. Not a good idea if the dog is simply not housetrained. A belly band that sits saturated WILL cause a UTI.

Go back to Housetraining 101. Take him out frequently, and reward profusely anytime he goes outside. If he's not crated, watch him like a hawk. Unfortunately, it becomes harder to housetrain once the dog has already had accidents in the house. A dog who has had a lot of accidents will be exponentially harder to train. The best thing you can do at this point is to prevent anymore accidents from happening (even if that means tethering him to your waist and taking him outside 10 times a day). Never punish unless you catch him in the act.

Ditto.

Here, we take a new dog out:

- immediately upon getting up in the a.m., which is no more than 8 hours from last out at night

- immediately before each meal

- immediately after each meal

- anytime the dog is up on his/her feet looking around rather than resting quietly

- within 5-10 minutes of something exciting happening, such as a play session or visitor to the home

- immediately before leaving the house

- immediately upon returning home

- last thing at night

- @ every 1.5 hours if the above doesn't cover that

As the dog settles in, we stretch that 1.5 hours out gradually. If someone is home and the weather is good, they're more active and tend to want an out every @ 4 hours, even when well-established. We very seldom have accidents here, even with brand new dogs who have never been in a home before.

Guest kkaiser104

It could be stress, it could be a UTI, or it could just be house breaking problems. Males are less likely to get UTIs, although Teddi did have one a few months ago and a round of antibiotics cleared him of it just fine. When I changed apartments, Teddi had a few housebreaking problems but just taking him out more often seemed to solve the trick.

When I adopted him, my adoption group gave me a basic formula for housebreaking.

-straight out of the crate and outside in the morning, if he doesn't go then he goes back into the crate for 30 minutes and then back out again

-keep him on a long line (I got a horse lead) in the house attached to you or in a crate if you're in the shower, taking a nap, etc..

-take him out before/after each meal

-take him out every two hours between meals

-take him out before you leave and when you return

-out directly before bed and into the crate

Teddi pottied once in the house when I first brought him in, and never again until he got the UTI. Good luck!

Guest chardae

It took Katey a good month before settling down housebreaking wise......my first grey (after 4 others) to take that long. She had night time problems. Some of it was our fault in terms of when and what she was eating (she had soft poop issues....in the house at night....arrgh!!!); but with the help of GT and her adoption coordinator we got that fixed, thankfully. She had pee issues as well, but that settled down when her stress of being in a new environment went down.....her pacing and nervousness made her pee just too many times!

Now, if she needs to pee in the middle of the night, she will come and wake us up, which thankfully doesn't happen too often, .....but getting to that level of reliability did take some time. I did have her urine tested in the midst of this and there was no infection.

Be patient and vigilant, you will get there!

Guest DogNewbie

Great! Thanks so much you guys!! Wiley is my first dog so it is a learning experience for the both of us. I will try to get him on a more frequent schedule. I am currently looking for a job. I am hoping to be able to come home at lunch. I am currently trying to have his bathroom schedule mimic a normal work day.

Usually takes just a couple weeks to get them settled and more reliable about going out less often. If that makes sense :lol . Good luck with dog AND job things!

Guest DogNewbie

Thanks! I am getting frustrated on the job front, but I'm sure I will find something soon. I guess I figured I would finish my undergrad the find a job right a way! How naive of me :(

Guest Lochshumans

I would check for any medical issues first, just to rule them out, as our grey was peeing all over the place, both in and out of the crate when we first brought him home. It was directly related to his ehrlichia flare up. Once that got cleared up, he was having accidents in his crate, which we have had dogs our whole lives and knew this wasn't something a dog, grey or otherwise, would typically do. We figured out these accidents in the crate were stress related and Loch is just the type of grey that HATES his crate. As soon as we started letting him roam the house, no more accidents. He now can hold for at 10 hours. Good luck, it'll get easier!!