Seizure Dog Question

Were they ever able to figure what was going on with Rainey's brain to cause the seizures? It just amazes me that a seemingly healthy dog could just, out of the blue, start seizing.

So far, the pheno is working for her. We started her on the pheno 7/13 and she hasn't had another seizure....yet. She, too was a little wacked out for several days but she's pretty much back to normal.

We haven't gotten the food craving quite worked out. She went from being very picky to omg....FOOD!! We've altered her diet a bit to keep her from gaining a lot of weight while she adjusts to the medicine.

I'm just happy things have gotten back to our new normal.

no -- the first MRI on 10/4/10 (her 10th birthday :() showed absolutely nothing, to the neurologist's surprise. He fully expected to see a tumor. As far as out of the blue, that just seems to be how it happens, and when it happens on an older dog (7 years or more) a brain tumor is most likely what is suspected -- in a younger dog, it's like others have said, ideopathic -- just happens. With Rainey, I kind of suspected it began from her last rabies vaccination on 7/27/10 but we'll never know.

the Pheno was the only thing that really worked for Rainey. The Keppra, then Zonisamide, all at increasing levels for months, never did anything. It wasn't until the Pheno was added that she went the 2 months without one. We then tried to back down on the Zonisamide and she started having seizures again. We were going to have another MRI done on 3/9/11 -- more to know that if something finally showed (which the neuro again was sure) letting her go would be the right thing to do. We decided the day before that she -- and us- had been through enough and let her go peacefully. My only regret was that I completely forgot how badly she reacted to barbituate-type sedatives and that's what she got before the final shot and it was a terrible ending for all of us :(

Rainey was CRAZY hungry on the Pheno too -- I mean CRAZY. I would try to keep her happy by giving her cut green beans a couple times a day (like 1/2 cup each time, hand fed) -- that seemed to help. I think for those 8 months I solely supported Bird's Eye frozen green bean production.

I too would not bother with an MRI for her either -- at her age it's most likely ideopathic and it wouldn't show anything -- and if it WAS a tumor, you'll know soon enough and even if you found out now she had one, would you even try to remove it?

sending more hugs. Keep that ice pack on hand, I'm dead serious about how much better all her seizures were with it. Quite frequently, if she seized in the middle of eating, I'd put it on her and 1 minute after she was done seizing, she almost always got back up and went right back to finish her meal like nothing happened. As I said, we were "lucky" (if you want to even say that) that every single one involved eating so I'd just pull out the pack right before setting down her bowl (or giving a treat) just to be ready. With most other seizure dogs, you may not have such a constant "trigger".

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway