Greetings From Auckland, New Zealand

Another newbie here, from Auckland in New Zealand. I have been reading the forum since we adopted our greyhound about 2 months ago and have got heaps of useful information already so thought it time I sign up properly. We adopted Jess (Okuku Star) from the New Zealand greyhound rehoming organization GAP (Greyhounds as Pets) back in May. She is 5 years old and a dark brindle. She has been doing great with the whole settling in process and it astounds me what adaptable creatures dogs are when you think of her background and the complete change in circumstances she has had to get used to! It probably helps that she has moved into a home with another dog, our 9 year old chocolate labrador called Murphy. They get on pretty well, although I think Jess would prefer we had something speedier than a labrador for her to race against! Anyway, hope to "meet" you all and contribute where I can.

e6dae763-b4ee-48f6-b363-59d270c94dc9_zps

Welcome - she's gorgeous!! Well, they both are, but I have a soft spot for brindles! Oh, and Jess is a sort of distant cousin of my Jeffie's. He also has Walkabout Sid in his pedigree, but four generations back instead of three!

You've brought back some happy memories .. we lived in Takapuna for a year in the 1980s.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Beautiful pups and scenery! Welcome!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:wave Hello and welcome to GT! Love the photo of your pups on the beach! Sounds like your girl is settling in well.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome - she's gorgeous!! Well, they both are, but I have a soft spot for brindles! Oh, and Jess is a sort of distant cousin of my Jeffie's. He also has Walkabout Sid in his pedigree, but four generations back instead of three!

You've brought back some happy memories .. we lived in Takapuna for a year in the 1980s.

Wow, that's impressive! I do like how you can trace a greyhound pedigree right back and find all the connections - even among dogs in different countries!

Guest bethac

Welcome! Jess is beautiful and it looks like she and Murphy get along great!

I lived in Tauranga, NZ for a year as a Rotary exchange student when I was 16. I may have been to that beach in Auckland during a visit with friends, is there a rock formation that looks like a lion's head? I keep thinking it was called Piha, or something like that.

Anyway, so glad you found us! Will look forward to more beautiful pictures! :)

Welcome! Jess is beautiful and it looks like she and Murphy get along great!

I lived in Tauranga, NZ for a year as a Rotary exchange student when I was 16. I may have been to that beach in Auckland during a visit with friends, is there a rock formation that looks like a lion's head? I keep thinking it was called Piha, or something like that.

Anyway, so glad you found us! Will look forward to more beautiful pictures! :)

Yes, Piha has the lion rock and isn't far away from Bethell's Beach. Both beaches are great places to take the dogs for a big run. I think it was Jess' first visit to a big surf beach - she certainly went a little crazy for the first 5 minutes or so before her ears started working again. Definitely wasn't letting that water get anywhere near her precious toes though!

Yes, Piha has the lion rock and isn't far away from Bethell's Beach. Both beaches are great places to take the dogs for a big run. I think it was Jess' first visit to a big surf beach - she certainly went a little crazy for the first 5 minutes or so before her ears started working again. Definitely wasn't letting that water get anywhere near her precious toes though!

I seem to remember a patch of 'almost quicksand' at Piha, right near the bottom of Lion Rock, where water was draining across the beach to the sea! I had a four year old son at the time and he got stuck in it! :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop