Ear Ulcer

Romie has what the vet calls an ulcer in one ear. It's inside, but on the outer wall, if that makes sense. Looks like a very dark red circle about half the size of a dime. And of course he is scratching the ear, which is irritating everything. No blood or discharge. Lots of yelping and howling. I tried putting a modified cone on him, but he just got his foot tangled in it.

Anyone have any experience with something similar? Poor guy, it's evidently painful. I'm going to give him some tramadol tonight.

My sweet baboo

Romiesromannoselite.jpg

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My Penny just got over one. It was located right where the ear canal makes its angled turn. I took her in for an ear infection and the vet discovered it after he flushed her ear. I flushed her ears with Pharmaseb flush once/day, and dosed with Postatex otic suspension after. The ear infection cleared up before the ulcer, but eventually (2 weeks?) the ulcer cleared also.

Guest johnmclaren

This is a very common problem which generally big dog faces. I think it needs to get operated. Please consult a good veterinary.

No smear or culture. Vet said ear looked clean to naked eye and he had no idea what caused ulcer. Sent us home with Postatex, like with oldrunners' Penny. As I understand it, Postatex is is used against both bacterial and fungal infections?

I'm having a hard time dosing it. The plastic bottle is quite firm, and I don't always get a drop with every squeeze. The solution is also hard to see, especially in a dark ear. However, Romie seems to be scratching it much less and yelping less when he does scratch it. No howling yesterday or today.

Romie is such a quiet dog that I expect him to be stoic about pain. But I've noticed before that he is KNOT. Nutmeg, on the other hand, who is a drama queen about everything else, bears up terrifyingly well under pain.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Yeah, squeezin' that sucker is a bit tricky. I semi-sacrificed a dose by just squeezing out some into her outer ear canal, so I could get an idea of how hard/long to press in order to get a healthy application when the nozzle was buried deeply into her ear canal. Penny has had ear infections before, for which the vet gave me an anti-fungal med and wash, but, since there was an ulcer this time he gave me the dual-purpose one.