Diffusely Thickened Walls And Layering Bowel Loop

Charlotte has been "unofficially" diagnosed with either Irritable Bowel Disease or Lymphoma. I am reeling.

Started off with soft stools about a week ago. It progressed to explosive liquid diarrhea, vomiting, frightening weight loss (4 lbs in 2 days although on different scales but I know it is right...her bones are showing more and more.) Took her to our regular vet on Thursday night after 3 vomits and the beginning of bad diarrhea (not that there is good diarrhea.) Blood panel and fecal tests came back "great!" She was given an injection of anti-diarrhea meds and sent home with metronidazole.

Friday morning, my heart almost stopped...her bedding was soaked through and there were puddles of feces and liquid all over the downstairs. The best way I can describe the sight is that her insides seemed to be shedding.

Called the vet who said to keep an eye on it (!) and make sure she had plenty of water. While I was cleaning up (and the smell was very different from normal bowel results) I KNEW it was bad. But, the vomiting had stopped and she was enjoying the chopped meat and rice I made for her. Yesterday, Saturday, we took her to the emergency facility near us; she was admitted and tested.

They have found fluid in the abdomen, enlarged lymph nodes, and enlarged spleen, evident on the Sonagram.

Options explained to us are more diagnostics, exploratory surgery, prednisone, chemo. Researching this condition I see it is NOT common in dogs, more so in cats, and for dogs presenting with diarrhea as a main complaint it is the WORST prognosis. This condition represents only 7% of canine lymphomas.

The hospital has put her on Prednisone to see if the leakage would stop...it has slowed but not stopped and she has to be cleaned up every 30 minutes. Diapers are not feasible, she would be constantly wet.

Charlotte is 10 and up until a month ago was in great shape. Then, while out on a walk with my husband, she was attacked by a neighbor's dog and required 25 stitches in her chest area. She has healed from that but we think the stress of that may have set this whole horror in motion.

We are not putting her through anymore and will go today to say our goodbyes. Our hearts are breaking but we feel this is the only solution. We have had her only 6 years and she is a doll. God forgive me but I don't think we can take a constantly leaking bowel, prednisone and no hope for the long term. I will gladly take her pain and discomfort upon myself but I hope to God I can bear it today.

:( I'm so sorry you're facing this.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You have much support here as you say "See you later" to your beautiful Charlotte. I am so very sorry for your tremendous heartbreak. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:bighug

my motto has always been ..... 'better a day too early, than a minute too late'

Run free, Charlotte.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hugs. Will be holding Charlotte and everyone who loves her gently in my prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am truly very sorry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I hope I'm not overstepping here but, this could be IBD. Alimentary lymphoma is rather rare in dogs AND when it is lymphoma there's usually a very obvious mass seen. If its IBD even though it looks awful right now there is hope. When my boy was first stricken with IBD I thought I was going to lose him-he was hospitalized on IV fluids, given hetastarch to help with the ecites (fluid in the abdomen) and was placed on metronidazole. I'm not going to kid you-it was a rough couple of days. We had placed him on pred but, eventually switched him over to budesonide (that is without the greater side effects that comes with pred).

My guy lived another 3 1/2 quality years before the IBD morphed into adenocarcinoma.

I guess my point here is if your not ready to let your baby go seek out an internal medicine Dr for a second opinion. Even if you don't want to go the traditional diagnostics (scoping vs true cut biopsy) you can try and treat pallatively.

If Charlotte has already crossed the bridge my deepest condulances.

I hope I'm not overstepping here but, this could be IBD. Alimentary lymphoma is rather rare in dogs AND when it is lymphoma there's usually a very obvious mass seen. If its IBD even though it looks awful right now there is hope. When my boy was first stricken with IBD I thought I was going to lose him-he was hospitalized on IV fluids, given hetastarch to help with the ecites (fluid in the abdomen) and was placed on metronidazole. I'm not going to kid you-it was a rough couple of days. We had placed him on pred but, eventually switched him over to budesonide (that is without the greater side effects that comes with pred).

My guy lived another 3 1/2 quality years before the IBD morphed into adenocarcinoma.

I guess my point here is if your not ready to let your baby go seek out an internal medicine Dr for a second opinion. Even if you don't want to go the traditional diagnostics (scoping vs true cut biopsy) you can try and treat pallatively.

If Charlotte has already crossed the bridge my deepest condulances.

She is in heaven now.

I will add Charlotte to the list of Bridge Angels for July. I am so sorry for your loss.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry. I've lost two this way, so I understand your decision. And your heartbreak.

Godspeed Charlotte.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest chardae

I am so sorry for your loss.....had to let two of our precious greys go in the past two years....intestinal cancer in our boy Mesa, and lymphangiectasia in our girl Merrie.

Caring thoughts are with you.

Take comfort in knowing that your sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. We all share your sorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown