Orijen Question

Guest shadow

Guest shadow

I have always fed my dogs Orijen and I'd like to do the same with my grey. he is currently on TOTW, because that is what he was fostered on. I know it is a good food, but wondered if it was worth switching to Orijen? How do Greyhounds typically do on something as rich as Orijen? I'd love to feed raw, but don't have the time/patience

Thanks

I love Orijen, but it didn't work at all for my guys (who do fine on TOTW). My theory is that high amounts of cooked/processed fats are what cause many of the problems in the foods with higher meat content. Greys tend to not do well on these foods, but you could always give it a try.

After noticing that a lot of greyhounds who normally didn't tolerate "rich" foods seemed to do well on Acana, I gave that a shot, and it has worked out really well. Acana is the same company as Orijen but it is less rich in terms of fats/protein. There are different formulas, I have found 2 that work here (the blue and brown bag).

Is Acana made with human consumable rated ingredients just like Orijen?

Yes...same company, same philosophy. Human grade, no hormones/antibiotics, and non-imported. They make both Acana and Orijen in the same plant, so don't outsource to other companies. As I mentioned, you may have to try several of the formulas to find ones that work.

http://www.acana.com/

Edited by RedHead

Another vote for the Acana, Orijen was too rich for mine so I went with the Acana. They love it and do great with it! I switch back and forth between the Ranchlands and Pacifica.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest Marsroving

I find raw feeding to be no work at all. I open the pack of chicken quarters, I hand one to Mars, or I open the bag of frozen broccoli, dump a few clumps into a dish toss a half pound of liver on top and pass it to Mars.

I think people really over complicate raw feeding. I too thought I would have to process and breakdown and cook etc. In reality, when I'm at the grocery store I just spend a few extra minutes in the meat aisle buying things like chicken gizzards, hearts, legs and livers. Since I'm buying meats for myself too, it's really easy. : )

Guest bennysdad

My boy does really well on Orijen. I rotate the "regional red" formula and the "6 fish". When I adopted him about a year ago we started with TOTW on recommendation from the greyhound rescue.

After about 6 months on TOTW I decided to give Orijen a try. Since I had such amazing results over the years feeding Orijen with my other dogs (non-greyhound breeds) and I am such a champion of this brand, I just felt it was worth a shot. Like I stated earlier Benny has done really well on Orijen. I've gotten many compliments on him and many questions from other grey owners in the neighborhood asking what I feed him because he looks so great. Also just had our yearly vet visit and my vet couldn't be more pleased with his health.

Acana is an awesome choice! Just thought I'd share my success/experience with Orijen.