Question Regarding Perimeter Fence

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest lovnmygreys

Hi guys!

There is a possibility that my husband could be transferring to New Jersey. I've been looking at rental homes and there doesn't seem to be many of them with fenced yards. Does anyone have any experience with the electric perimeter fences and their greys? First off, I just want to say that I'm not overly excited about the idea. I'm just wondering if anyone has used them with their greyhounds and found them to work? I'd be so afraid they would go running full speed through it and get hurt. :-(

Otherwise, I'd take any other suggestions on how to give them access to the yard while we're at work if the yard is unfenced.

No no no to electric fencing. It won't work with a Greyhound, and actually other dogs too at times. Once a Greyhound starts running, she'll go through the "fence" so quickly she'll barely be zapped. It's not a deterrent. Also, it doesn't keep other animals -- human and 4-legged -- out. Other dogs and non-domestic animals can wander in with no problem.

As an aside, a friend has a "mutt" who she fenced with an electric fence. One day her dog saw a rabbit in the yard next door and took off at a run, barely pausing when she got zapped.

Guest lovnmygreys

Alright, that's all I needed to know. I didn't think it would be possible, but I wanted to check for sure. Thank you!!

Yep, I wouldn't do that fencing for a greyhound, way too big of a risk. I would only do that for dogs who generally already stay on the property and don't have high prey drives, and also never while I was away from the house as other dogs/animals can easily enter and attack. I'm not totally against remote fencing (I have used it with non greys when I used to live in the country and it also allows the dogs to be able to roam and swim unleashed at the cottage) but I would never even think of putting it on Teague. If you need an enclosed area, maybe you could get the chain link dog runs (they sell them here at TSC for quite cheap). You can also use those doggy X-Pens and open them up and attach 2 or 3 together (making sure they are solid in the ground). Are you planning on doing a doggy door? If so, the only thing I would trust to be secure while at work would probably be the dog runs.

Ask if the rental agency will let you put up nice temporary fencing, perhaps the kind with metal stakes and galvanized wire. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/welded-wire-48-in-x-100-ft

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The problems with electric fences are:

1. If a dog crosses over it and gets out, what is their incentive to come back in and get shocked again?

2. Greyhounds in pursuit of prey won't let a little shock stop them. Dogs have run on broken legs, toes, etc. by sheer adrenaline and drive.

3. How do you keep other dogs, cats, people, etc. out? What if a stray dog came into your yard and attacked your hound?

I would look into livestock wire and green metal posts. The posts can be put in and taken out (you don't need to cement them) so when you move again you can take the whole fence with you and it won't do anything permanent to the rental property. :)

Guest Waterdog66

Bigger thing to consider is what happens when the houndie runs outside of the perimeter fence chasing something and then gets stuck outside and can't get back in?

Really hoping you can find an alternative.

There are plenty of people who have dogs without fenced yards--people like me!

Think of the free cardio workout you'll get, having to walk your dog on a leash!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Already answered and accepted, but for any lurkers who are thinking about electric fences there are a couple of other issues with them. Patricia McConnell isn't totally against them, but advises that they need to be used with extreme caution and in conjunction with supervision and proper training. Another "side effect" of electric fences that she's mentioned (not greyhound specific):

If you live on a suburban street where other dogs get walked beside your yard, it can cause dog-aggression. How? Strange dog approaches your yard when your dog is out. He goes to investigate the new dog and gets zapped when he gets close to the fence. It won't take too many of those occasions before he associates strange dogs with bad things (being zapped). Possibly can also happen with people.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow