Hartz Ultra Guard Flea And Tick Drops?

Guest thatgirlfred

Guest thatgirlfred

Is "Hartz Ultra Guard Flea and Tick Drops" okay to use to prevent fleas? I remember coming across something that said that greyhounds have a bad reaction to some flea medicines. I know this is not as effective as Frontline or some other higher quality flea preventatives, but I have been using this brand on my dog and cat for years with no fleas.

Has anyone used this or know if it is safe?

Personally, I would never use a Hartz product

Ditto!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FullMetalFrank

Hartz products have received a lot of negative press; from things like skin burns and allergic reactions, to death. Google "Hartz" and do some reading. I, personally, wouldn't take the risk.

*shudder* Nope. I'm not even a big fan of using Frontline, but, it is necessary sometimes.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I don't like the Hartz company at all, not for my dogs or my small animals. If you google it you will see hundreds of stories of dogs with burn/red marks and seizures from the product (although to be fair, you could probably find that with a lot of other products too). I know there are probably thousands of dogs that do use it with no problems, but from the one time I tried it, it did nothing to get rid of the fleas. I learned my lesson and now only use the stuff from the vet. I don't generally get a lot of fleas however, so I only treat when I see them.

Guest thatgirlfred

Wow I had no clue about the history of this product. I have used it in the past with no problems. I guess I'll find something else to use.