Scared Of The Big, Scary, Deathly....floor?

Guest thatgirlfred

Guest thatgirlfred

I have had Chase since Monday, and so far he has been an angel. :) I am just having one problem. In order to go out the door, you have to walk over a small area of tile floor. This door is the only way to get outside (without going down stairs). Chase has been fine with this floor up until yesterday afternoon. He was having some problems with slipping on the tile, and is now afraid to even come within 2-3 feet of it. Food doesn't help coaxing him onto it. I tried putting down rugs with tread on the bottom, but he still won't come onto it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

Edited by thatgirlfred

High value treats are the key. Cut up a hot dog and start training! You stand on the side he has to cross to get to you and coax him slowly over. Reward him heavily. Rinse. Repeat.

Some people use a spray on their feet that makes their paws a little more tacky so they have more traction.

Good luck.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Is he excitable otherwise? I'd say if you have sticky rugs down that won't slip around when he moves on them, start as far away from the door as safely possible (with a leash on him and high value treats in your hand), work up as much happy as possible, and "run" toward the door, being all excited and "YAY WALKIES" as possible! When he's over the tile and safely on the other side, throw a party with high value treats, praise, and happiness (he's not a spook or shy though, right? If so, the "party" is probably not a great idea).

Short of that, definitely try standing on one side and offering high value treats. Keep him on a leash so he can't run away, but don't pull him. You might also try sitting on the tile - Eli was terrified of wood and would only cross it if I was sitting on it (maybe that made it seem more solid? not sure). You could try a little gentle pressure on the leash (like directions - "Hey, I'm over here, and we're going this way! Yes, this way. I'm sure.") to get his feet moving, but it's a better learning experience for him if he comes to it on his own (through bribery!).

Get the grey over the tile, and you have him outside for the day. Teach the grey that he can step on the tile without anything horrible happening, and you have him crossing the tile willingly for a lifetime. :)

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest thatgirlfred

Is he excitable otherwise? I'd say if you have sticky rugs down that won't slip around when he moves on them, start as far away from the door as safely possible (with a leash on him and high value treats in your hand), work up as much happy as possible, and "run" toward the door, being all excited and "YAY WALKIES" as possible! When he's over the tile and safely on the other side, throw a party with high value treats, praise, and happiness (he's not a spook or shy though, right? If so, the "party" is probably not a great idea).

Short of that, definitely try standing on one side and offering high value treats. Keep him on a leash so he can't run away, but don't pull him. You might also try sitting on the tile - Eli was terrified of wood and would only cross it if I was sitting on it (maybe that made it seem more solid? not sure). You could try a little gentle pressure on the leash (like directions - "Hey, I'm over here, and we're going this way! Yes, this way. I'm sure.") to get his feet moving, but it's a better learning experience for him if he comes to it on his own (through bribery!).

Get the grey over the tile, and you have him outside for the day. Teach the grey that he can step on the tile without anything horrible happening, and you have him crossing the tile willingly for a lifetime. :)

Thanks for the info! I will definitely work with him with some good treats :). I don't think the running thing would work because right now he's pretty shy and won't even wag his tail.

Some people use a spray on their feet that makes their paws a little more tacky so they have more traction.

Sweep was still having problems occasionally on our hardwoods after several months here, and she was starting to show signs of anxiety about it. Someone here suggested putting this on her pads. You can pick it up at any office supply store, and much to my amazement it has really helped. I also sometimes apply Mushers Secret at bedtime to help keep her pads supple for better grip; it's one of the uses indicated on the jar, although it's more typically associated with snow/salt/heat protection.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest mischaluvsgreys

High value treats are the key. Cut up a hot dog and start training! You stand on the side he has to cross to get to you and coax him slowly over. Reward him heavily. Rinse. Repeat.

Good luck.

^ Hello there, what is this spray for greyhounds feet that adds traction? I'm very intrigued & want to purchase some. :wow:omg

Guest psdirector

Hutch is afraid of shiny floors and someone here suggested getting rubber-backed runners. It made a huge difference. Of course in the kitchen he will stop at the end of the runner and not move so much as a paw off, but it does keep him away from the kitchen counters. We have one patch of bare floor that he will cross VERY, very slowly and carefully, but he'll do it. He gets a treat whenever he does. He's a big boy (84 lbs.) and tall, so I think the sliding around really scared him at first.