Dealing With Gastro Issues In Old Greyhound

Missy will be 14 in august. she has suffered with LS for quite a few years..otherwise very healthy.

she gets acupuncture, fresh factors, joint health plus, tramadol, gabapentin, and meloxicam (on and off)

In May she had a depo shot for her LS

A few weeks later I restarted the meloxicam. Maybe about 10 days later, she developed the worst watery diarrehea I have ever seen. Called vet and started flagyl...withheld food 24 hours then did chicken and rice..after 5 days I saw improvement. vet suggested another 5 days of flagyl. when the diarrehea started I stopped the meloxicam, thinking it was too soon after the depo shot.

I restarted the meloxicam about one week ago..not every day. She was fine until this Wednesday. Fine in the morning..ate all her food, normal poop. Came home from mother in laws wake (perfect timing..not enough going on). to a very mopy girl with no appetite. BM started normal then went to pure liquid. Started flagyl immediately. Yesterday morning I woke up to liquid poop all over her bed, new area rug and walls. (funeral day)..made arrangements for neighbor to let her out. Getting her up to take out, her bed and body were full of poop and BLOOD. a lot of blood. Hosed her off and rushed to vet to leave her to be evaluated..then flew to funeral..

since then: no more blood. one diarrehea yesterday(more formed,not liquid). due to yesterday's circumstances we opted to keep her at the vet overnight to observe her. as of 10 pm last night no more bowel movements. In the night she had one (no blood). tech said: not liquid, but VERY soft. I am thinking she is improving as that is the pattern i typically see with Diarrehea.

Vet did blood work yesterday: normal. we talked about keeping her on flagyl regularly, maybe half-dose once she is back to normal.

They are giving her a bath and watching her a bit longer: flagyl and fluids. will give some ID. I hope to pick her up later.

I spoke with my vet regarding "the end" for her...my husband thinks it is time. I don't feel she is ready yet..considering the fact that the bleeding stopped and stools are starting to get "thicker" for lack of a better word.

Any advice...suggestions..experiences. I love this old girl. she was my first greyhound..I have lost two since getting her. She is a tough old girl. Takes two (short) walks a day, loves to lay in the back yard and watch the squirrels now..greets us at the door and likes her head rubbed...

I wouldn't use the meloxicam anymore, or any NSAID. If she needs some pain relief, ask your vet about tramadol instead. Tramadol is a painkiller only, no anti-inflammatory effect so it has its limits, but it's a good option for dogs who can't take NSAIDs.

Hugs and hopes your girl continues to improve. It sounds like she is still having a good time in life :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Fuzzy had almost the same experience on deramaxx. Some dog just can't take NSAIDs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I give my oldster (13) a scoop of Geniflora with each meal and he gets 3-4 tablets of Wobensym for joint stiness/discomfort twice a day on an empty stomach. He's doing great on these supplements. Find them on Amazon.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What dosage of gabapentin is she taking? You may have some room to up this amount and help her a bit more.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Spencer had great benefit from adding amantadine to his tramadol-and-gabapentin regimen for his LS (and presumed arthritis). It didn't give him any GI trouble, either! (Dosage was one 100-mg capsule per day, and he weighed 73 lbs. at that point.) Here's a link that surveys all the options; amantadine is about halfway down the page.

http://www.dogaware.com/health/chronicpain.html

P.S.: Vet wrote a script, which we filled at Costco. Very inexpensive.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sam got an ulcer from the meloxicam after he'd been taking it for only two months (and taking it with pepcid and on top of food, every time). He gets no more NSAIDS. He gets methocarbamol, gabapentin, and tramadol for pain (arthritis, and probably LS), prevacid or prilosec for his stomach, doxepin for his LP, thyroxine for his thyroid, and a maintenance dose of flagyl (half a pill, every other day).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you all. I brought Missy home. Since they were only doing flagyl at the vet..I would rather have her home to better assess her. She was very stressed in the cage on a rubber mat. Yesterday stool was a bit soft (less liquid) today: one episode of water. I brought her some chicken and rice, since she wouldn't eat the ID. Gave her small amount, but she would have devoured it all. She is alert. After speaking with the tech (my vet is off today, but in touch with tech), I decided to take er home. That way I can give her rice and chicken in small amounts to help get some solid food into her. Just hoping I can get her out before she has to go!

QUESTION : she has not taken tramadol or gabepentin today..which I know is not good. I can see she is in pain. The tech said she thought tramadol was ok to give, but not sure with gabepentin . So, should I give both, one or none? I want to help her pain, but not hurt her stomach more.

I am hoping I can get this under control..

You can give tramadol without food. Don't know about gabapentin but someone should be along soon to tell us :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

WebMD: "Take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor."

Sam gets his gabapentin pretty much on time, whether he's eaten or not.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)