A Chicken Thigh With Dinner?

Guest GeekyLyndsay

Guest GeekyLyndsay

While reading on this forum in the lead up to adopting my hound, I read a lot about the benefits of raw supplementing and I'm sold! Yesterday I gave my pup 2 chicken necks and he loved them, and slept so nicely after he ate them. Definitely more settled than after he eats his kibble.

It has me thinking about giving him a chicken thigh with his breakfast in the morning. So 1 cup of kibble and a chicken thigh. Is this an OK amount of raw to give him daily? Should I maybe give him a neck daily instead?

Guest greybookends

I feed a half and half diet. I would not give him the chicken necks though. They are to small he most likely will just swallow them whole. Give turkey necks instead. They are larger and they are GREAT for helping to keep their teeth clean. The thighs are fine also. I do not remember the scale. I feed once a day. My guys are all between 60-70 pounds. They get 1 cup of kibble and 12 oz of raw a a day and Sheana and Monty could stand to loose a pound or two.

Guest GeekyLyndsay

I can't find turkey necks :( The local pet store has bags of chicken necks, and he took his time with the one I gave him yesterday. I'd be nervous about giving him a thawed one, but he sure chewed at the frozen one!

Guest greybookends

You do not get the necks at the local pet store. You get them at your local grocery. Raw is fine but if he will eat it frozen that is fine as well. Some will not eat them frozen. Also do not give the neck at every meal. Once or twice a week is good. There is not a lot of meat on the necks and to much bone will cause constipation. The thighs or some other form of muscle meat would be great. Livers and gizzards are good but be careful with the liver to much is to rich.

Edited by greybookends

Guest GeekyLyndsay

I've been around to the grocery stores, of course! They're tough to track down. The butcher I contacted actually sends all of theirs right to pet stores!

Guest greybookends

I see your in Canada. Here in the US they are generally right in the meat counter with the other turkey parts. If your guy is CHEWING the chicken necks I would not be as concerned. Maybe you can ask your local grocer if they can get turkey necks. Maybe they would order some for you.

I'm using duck necks right now, perhaps you can find those instead? How about checking with a local poultry farm? You don't have a local raw food supplier? -- they always have them.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest GeekyLyndsay

Hmmm, maybe the people at the farmers markets will have them. I bet I can at least find myself some nice quality bison bones there!

Anyway, I'm glad I can offer some chicken thighs. He just seemed so much HAPPIER after chewing down on some raw bones.

It is fine to feed a raw/kibble mixed diet. I do a ground raw/kibble mix for breakfast and then some sort of meaty bone for dinner. I personally like the chicken thighs over the turkey necks as they are meatier. Do you have No Frills in Alberta? They sell bagged thighs for $2-3 usually.

Guest greybookends

It is fine to feed a raw/kibble mixed diet. I do a ground raw/kibble mix for breakfast and then some sort of meaty bone for dinner. I personally like the chicken thighs over the turkey necks as they are meatier. Do you have No Frills in Alberta? They sell bagged thighs for $2-3 usually.

I agree the thighs are meatier and it is what I feed, but a turkey neck once a week will do wonders for his teeth.

Guest GeekyLyndsay

He loved his suppertime chicken thigh today! Freaked out my twitter followers when I mentioned his dinner, I guess they all thought it was cooked!

I stopped by another butcher to see about turkey necks today.

"Turkey necks for soup?"
"For my dog!"
"Oh! You want a dog bone?"

And he gives me a HUGE beef bone for free!

Chicken thighs are great! I'd do 1/2 cup kibble with a thigh for my dog, but they're all different.

I'm a kibble feeder that supplements raw with the grocery-store specials. Chicken-thighs for 39c/lb! I'm IN!

Edited by sobesmom

Guest kahjul

I have 1 very picky diva. I have tried raw with her in the past and she wanted no part of it. Seriously, I think she feels like I'm not putting in enough effort! The others all like it. My husband is NOT into it though, so I gave up. I'm considering doing a modified/few days a week neck or thigh. Is that a bad idea? They all have good poop and all eat well except the diva, and I don't expect that to change. If I were to give a neck or thigh 3 days a week at breakfast, how much should I cut the kibble back on those days? Or should I use the raw just as extra? Everyones weight is good. I'm thinking 1 thigh=1/2 cup kibble ish? Ideas appreciated!

Guest greybookends

1 thigh equals way more then 1/2 cup of kibble. I feed a half and half diet. My guys are fed once a day. They get 1 cup of kibble and 12 oz of some kind of meat usually leg quarter, thigh, drumstick depending on the size of the leg quarter. Their ideal weight is about 65 pounds and 2 of them could stand to lose a pound or 2.

I have been doing this so long I do not remember what the formula is to decide how much. Perhaps someone else will chime in with that.