Nadir's Echo And Ultrasound Results

I took Nadir to Auburn today to have a 2nd echo done to check if there was any worsening of his heart condition and 3rd ultrasound to check the status of the thrombus that was found on the first visit back in May. When I told them of the increased panting when I just walk him around the yard to use the bathroom there was concern he was going into heart failure. Thankfully the echo showed no worsening of his heart condition. We still don't know what is wrong with his heart, bloodwork doesn't give any clue to an underlying cause. They're sending blood to NC State to have a full tick panel run to rule out TBD. After that the only thing left to do would be a biopsy and considering the condition of his heart that is not happening. The ultrasound also showed good news in that the thrombus was smaller. The bad news is that one of the reasons it was smaller is because part of it broke off and traveled down and is occluding the blood flow to his right leg. Turns out the panting he's been doing is from the terrible pain this causes :(. Amantadine has been added to his pain regimen along with the gabapentin and tramadol and the clopidogrel to prevent more clots forming.

Continued good thoughts for Nadir. It sounds like as others have written, good and bad news. I hope the meds help him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I know this sounds crazy to ask but, have you checked for proteinuria??

Tracey, at this point nothing is crazy and all suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated. I don't know if they did or not. I know when Nadir's urination problems started back at the end of 2008 he showed high levels of protein and blood in his urine. The urine microalbumin was also high, a 4.6 when it should be <2.5. I should get the discharge paperwork this afternoon from Dr. Townsell . I will email her back and ask about this.

I did a little quick reading on it and as I understand it it is something that can occur as a result of heart disease. If proteinuria is part of his problem how is it treated?

it is my understanding that proteinuria is losing protein through the urine. A urinalysis will show this as will blood analysis; the protein levels would be low if he's losing protein through the urine which means ultimately he would have PLN, protein loosing nephropathy.

there are several medications that are given to help keep protein in the body although once holes are poked into the filtration system (glomuleri) protein is going to leak out.

but again the blood analysis, and urine analysis should point to this so your veterinarian can make that diagnosis. if in 2008 his urine showed protein loss,, more than likely this is the big part of the puzzle in determining the cause of his clotting issue.

I hope I'm not overstepping in my description of this disease.. others are far more knowledgeable

than I am.

Xoxo

Lorinda

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Was there any treatment for the proteinuria in late 2008? Has a UPC been done lately? When was the last time a Super Chem Panel was done to evaluate his kidney values, calcium and phosphorous levels? What is his current urine microalbumin? What is his blood pressure? Sorry for all the questions, but for those who have experienced PLN/proteinuria/glomerulonephritis, it's standard stuff.

If anyone knows about living with an animal with PLN, high microalbumin and resultant thrombus, it's Lorinda. Her Lazer has come back from the dead with test results that defy all modern Veterinary medical logic.

I remember the feeling of being shell shocked post dx. :grouphug If you need help interpreting what is going on, get copies of all Nadir's test results and post them here. As Lorinda said, there are so many members who will be willing to lend their expertise to interpret the test results.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

3DogNite-not bad :-). With protein loss in the urine your hound is also losing anti-thrombin 3 by default. Anti-thrombin 3 helps to keep your hounds blood from clotting-to little ='s thrombus.

:blush

after almost 3 years of this with Lazer, while i'm no expert, i do think i can talk this little description in my sleep! :rolleyes:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I hope I'm not overstepping in my description of this disease.. others are far more knowledgeable

:blush

after almost 3 years of this with Lazer, while i'm no expert, i do think i can talk this little description in my sleep! :rolleyes:

I'm astonished that you'd worry about sharing your knowledge/experience being "overstepping"! Where did that come from??

(Hope you don't mind that I combined quotes from your two posts above. Should have done it differently.)

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).