Sensitive Tummy

Guest Lochshumans

Guest Lochshumans

I'm looking for suggestions on food for Loch's sensitive tummy. He has been on Hills I.D. since he first got sick with Ehrlichia (November 2012) and it was really effecting his bowels. He has been feeling great for a while now and I'm looking to try a new food (one that isn't only at the emergency vet and costs an arm and a leg). Our non-grey, Teagan is on Blue's white fish and sweet potato and she loves it and doesn't have any poo issues (still pricey but way more affordable than the I.D.). I'm would love for them to both be on the same food to make our lives easier, but I'm not 100& sure the Teagan's food will be best either.

Any suggestions for sensitive tummy's? Or even thoughts on transitioning to our non-grey's food? Thanks :)

Guest psdirector

Our boys did not do well on Hills, so we tried the Iams green bag because so many pups seem to do so well on it. Our Hutch is obviously the exception, because it gave him diarrhea and horrible gas as well as an incredibly gurgly tummy and frequent vomiting. On the advice of our vet, we tried Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato and the change was dramatic - perfect poos, gas is rare and both boys love it. No digestive upsets whatsoever since we started. We only feed Natural Balance treats as well, just so that we don't get anything started again. I had some leftover Iams biscuits and my dad accidentally gave them to the boys - horrible gas, diarrhea that night. I'm sold.

It just amazes me how differnt dogs can be. I've tried to change from Iams a couple times and keep going back because of the major liquid stools that result. Even tried a dose of antibiotics to see if that would help.....NOPE....Back to Iams and the poo is firm. Guess that is why there is more than one brand of dog food out there :flip:hehe

Good luck on your search.

Guest Lochshumans

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! Looking forward to finding a new food that won't break the bank every month.

Guest sirsmom

Since he did well on SD why not switch him over to the regular version of sensitive stomach or try the advanced fitness adult.

Guest driser

We went through many many foods before we found the right one for our GH's sensitive digestive system. Nature's Balance LID Venison/Sweet Potato was our magic formula. So not sure if it's the unique protein, grain free, or limited ingredients that was the ticket, but we're elated that we finally found the right food for him.

If we stray from it... trouble. Like yesterday's overly stimulating greyhound/human picnic complete with him getting hamburger and various biscuits. DIARRHEA! Sensitive, sensitive, sensitive.